Scriptwriting? Why bother. Page 9

I quickly read some old Ben Elton scripts to recover.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 24th August 2014, 1:53 PM BST

So where was their form? Was it just a great first draft that any unsolicited writer would've got an instant commission with?

Probably in the shape of Edinburgh shows and Best Newcomer awards. Their form is as writer-performers.

Quote: sootyj @ 24th August 2014, 4:45 PM BST

No offence Bush it ain't the most original idea.

Just got back from the Edinburgh festival. And one of the best comics I saw was Jim Davidson, none of his jokes were especially original.
It was how he told them.

But if its good enough for Pheonix Nights why wasn't it good enough for mine?

I think if I was list the number of comedy scripts that had an animal on the stage deffecate, it would run into the hundreds possibly thousands.

It's not the joke it's the setting, it's set in.

I may write a script where a farmer leads a cow onto a stage and then farmer poos on the stage.

Shit happens?

Quote: sootyj @ 24th August 2014, 6:55 PM BST

I think if I was list the number of comedy scripts that had an animal on the stage deffecate, it would run into the hundreds possibly thousands.

It's not the joke it's the setting, it's set in.

I may write a script where a farmer leads a cow onto a stage and then farmer poos on the stage.

I often wonder who cleans up the aftermath. The stage hands or the farm hands?

Poo is such a lovely word for shit.

I prefer "Bovine Fecal Matter"
Does bovine fecal matter?
It does if you drop your toast in it.....
There.... The end of a joke I wrote 20 yrs ago has finally found its natural home.... It does depend on
Just biding your time!.....

Quote: Craig H @ 25th August 2014, 5:00 AM BST

I often wonder who cleans up the aftermath. The stage hands or the farm hands?

Poo is such a lovely word for shit.

The brown hands

Quote: Darren hoskins @ 25th August 2014, 10:49 AM BST

a joke I wrote 20 yrs ago has finally found its natural home

Is this The Bovine Comedy?

The Simpsons said it best.

Quote: bushbaby @ 24th August 2014, 6:50 PM BST

But if its good enough for Pheonix Nights why wasn't it good enough for mine?

Is that why your script got rejected? Purely for that one piece of action? I doubt it!

I know the OP was talking about script writing in particular, but if you like to write then broaden your horizons.

There are many outlets for good writing. They don't necessarily pay the big bucks but there are a plethora of magazines that pay for various topics. Humour being top of the list.

Grab a few £25 prizes and you'll soon feel like you are a writer.

Grab a feel and you won't care.

I was thinking, for those who like to write narratiove comedy, but didn't go to prep school, why not send some scripts to Hollywood? They don't give a shit about Oxbridge there, they put out more hours of comedy than all of the UK TV and radio stations combined, and I believe they pay a little more too.

With all of this terrible old boy back-scratching out of the picture, I'm sure you'll all be in clover by January.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 25th August 2014, 4:16 PM BST

Grab a few £25 prizes and you'll soon feel like you are a writer.

I won a £50 prize but I felt like a writer before this.