Scriptwriting? Why bother. Page 10

I did go to an Oxbourne college... but Hollywood! what's wrong with Cricklewood?

I've actually just remembered I went to Camford, which isn't as good. No wonder I never got that call.

Quote: gappy @ 25th August 2014, 5:10 PM BST

I was thinking, for those who like to write narratiove comedy, but didn't go to prep school, why not send some scripts to Hollywood? They don't give a shit about Oxbridge there, they put out more hours of comedy than all of the UK TV and radio stations combined, and I believe they pay a little more too.

They don't give a shite about your copyright either so you'd need to do that through an agent.

Get an agent then.

Quote: gappy @ 25th August 2014, 5:10 PM BST

I was thinking, for those who like to write narratiove comedy, but didn't go to prep school, why not send some scripts to Hollyrood? They don't give a shit about Oxbridge there, they put out more hours of comedy than all of the UK TV and radio stations combined, and I believe they pay a little more too.

With all of this terrible old boy back-scratching out of the picture, I'm sure you'll all be in clover by January.

Having just watched the Edinburgh tattoo you may have a point.

Who's arse was it on?

Bollywood? Nollywood? And that one centred round Golders Green...

The OP has hit the nail on the head as to why most budding scriptwriters fail. The "why bother?" syndrome hits most writers early in their careers, usually after a handful of rejections. The thing is, a sitcom script especially, represents a great deal of hard work - months of it, quite often. And to have someone say it's not good enough is extremely demoralizing. However - as Sooty said - persistence is the key. And the only way you can have enough persistence to take you to the next level is an innate love of writing. If you're a writer, you will write and you will learn and you will write and you will get better and you will write and then hopefully you will succeed.

But here's the thing - getting your own sitcom away (especially if it's a success) is the Holy Grail of comedy writing. Thousands upon thousands of scripts are submitted by beginners and professionals alike every year, and 99% of them fail to get past the starting line. What you've got to remember is, when you present your script to the BBC or whoever, you're asking them to take a punt on your idea and write a cheque for about a million quid. Huge amounts of money, time, and effort go into producing even the simplest sitcom and execeutives are terrified of making the wrong decision and backing the wrong horse. Reputation is everything in this business and it has to be earned through lots and lots of trial and error. Yes there are the odd few who seem to shoot to the top straight away but I'm afraid that most of us have to take the long-beaten path of years and years of trying and failing. And the only way to cope with it is to have that hunger to write and get better and create and show off your work.

As for the whole Oxbridge nepotism thing - yes, there are elements of that. But not nearly as much as people think. The BBC and other companies have invested a lot of time, money and effort in my own work, and I'm a dog-rough working class oik brought up on one of the worst council estates in Middlesbrough. At the end of the day, there are far more reasons NOT to keep trying than there are to persevere. Because the truth is you'll probably fail. I've been writing comedy for 18 years and I still don't have a sitcom on telly. I've won loads of comps, had sitcom scripts commissioned, worked on sketch shows, been mentored by comedy royalty, had readthroughs at the BBC, had my work performed by the BBC at the Edinburgh festival, filmed with famous actors etc, but the sitcom still eludes me. Because, like I say, it's the Holy Grail of TV comedy writing and it's a f**king tough cookie to break. That's the reality of it. But I still believe that if you can write funny, believe in yourself, and keep on kicking that eventually you'll get there. Personally I don't know how much kick I've got left in me, but I'm not quite ready to give up yet.

Quote: Lee Henman @ 27th August 2014, 3:05 PM BST

the whole Oxbridge nepotism thing

Nepotism only refers to favouritism amongst relatives - if you'd gone to Oxbridge you'd have known that, you ignorant commoner. ;)

Other than that, I think your post is spot on. :)

They are all inbred at Oxbridge! Post your peg bag song here Lee... Has been just the tonic for me a number of times. The Filipino that spurs one on! Sorry Fillip.

Quote: gappy @ 27th August 2014, 4:04 PM BST

Nepotism only refers to favouritism amongst relatives - if you'd gone to Oxbridge you'd have known that, you ignorant commoner. ;)

Other than that, I think your post is spot on. :)

From the Oxford Dictionary, ironically:

NEPOTISM
noun
[mass noun]

The practice among those with power or influence of favouring relatives or friends, especially by giving them jobs: his years in office were marked by corruption and nepotism.

Never mind that bollox where's the peg bag song.

Quote: Marc P @ 27th August 2014, 4:08 PM BST

They are all inbred at Oxbridge! Post your peg bag song here Lee... Has been just the tonic for me a number of times. The Filipino that spurs one on! Sorry Fillip.

If I post my peg bag song I'll instantly lose all credibility mate haha, not that I had any anyway.

I love it. I want a proper long version!

The Peg bag song should be the Christmas number one.

Nice to see you back Lee.

oi and you f**king pinched Turned out Shite Again,that's my line.