Scriptwriting? Why bother.

Reading posts on various boards here (Boomers presently!) about the frustrations of budding script writers on this site here's my pennyworth.

I gave up sit- com script writing years ago as I'd have enough of seemingly arbitrary rejection and double standards.

I then tried sketch writing with moderate success, BUT THEN saw a couple of my rejected sketches turn up a year later on the same show - talk about spitting nails!!!!!!!!

The final nail in the coffin for me was when I regularly sent in sketches for Hale and Pace and was told in no uncertain terms that they NEVER did a sketch where one of them was dressed as a woman (I'd sent one in of course), and what happened? That's right - that same series had a sketch where Gareth was in female attire.

As I say, double standards and the other thing that used to grate is that the script editors also sometimes "submit" their own work, which of course is accepted. I am sure that my rejected Hale & Pace sketches were plagiarised by the script editor. How that is fair I don't know.

Who assesses and edits the editors? No one it seems.

Best of "luck" to all of you that are still banging at that door - for me they can stuff it where the sun don't shine. Angry

It's a job - if you fancy doing it seriously, then like anything else take it seriously. The people who spend millions making programmes for some reason take it seriously ;) I see nothing in the above to show any kind of qualification to be doing the job you fancy doing. Maybe address that in ways you can?

Not sure what you mean by qualification - is a sense of humour not enough?

It was not for a lack of trying, and it does seem to me to be a closed shop.

Believe me; I spent many, many hours taking it seriously.

What do you think qualification means in its comprehensive sense?

As I said, I am not sure what you mean, so pray do tell.

I am always ready to learn, and who knows it might inspire me to take up my quill again. :)

Imagine this is an interview then. Have you ever written and got a comedy play of half or longer staged?

No.

(Be back shortly - have an errand to do)

I'm back :)

Quote: Marc P @ 23rd August 2014, 9:23 AM BST

The people who spend millions (OF OUR MONEY) making programmes for some reason take it seriously ;)

They certainly do, they don't want to be doing a job that doesn't give absurdly generous pensions and healthcare packages and unlimited expenses at posh hotels and restaurants do they.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 23rd August 2014, 10:27 AM BST

They certainly do, they don't want to be doing a job that doesn't give absurdly generous pensions and healthcare packages and unlimited expenses at posh hotels and restaurants do they.

And there's me in the rain with my nose pressed up at the restaurant window pleading to be let in with the ink streaking down me script. Teary

Yes sky and itv spend the money you have been saving for a bag of chips kipper. And all those tax funded initiative schemes like Hatrick - I tell you they are like immigrant filthy dole bludgers.

So you haven't done any narrative performance based staged comedy Hercules... Why not and why do you wish to be a TV writer?

So back to the interview? :)

Pay attention and see above!

Quote: Hercules Grytpype Thynne @ 23rd August 2014, 9:14 AM BST

I then tried sketch writing with moderate success, BUT THEN saw a couple of my rejected sketches turn up a year later on the same show - talk about spitting nails!!!!!!!!

Why do you think the Beeb don't accept sketches through WR?

Quote: Marc P @ 23rd August 2014, 10:39 AM BST

Pay attention and see above!

We seem to have posted at the same time - sorry Sir.

Quote: Marc P @ 23rd August 2014, 10:38 AM BST

Yes sky and itv spend the money you have been saving for a bag of chips kipper. And all those tax funded initiative schemes like Hatrick - I tell you they are like immigrant filthy dole bludgers.

So you haven't done any narrative performance based staged comedy Hercules... Why not and why do you wish to be a TV writer?

No

So it's probably me being a bit naïve, thinking of the likes of say S&G or Milligan and that just writing comedy is not enough - you have to serve your time?

Like I say, I haven't now the grit or determination.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ 23rd August 2014, 10:39 AM BST

Why do you think the Beeb don't accept sketches through WR?

Clearly I'm off the pace - WR?