Charlie Brooker's Weekly Wipe 2014 Page 4

Quite is also a nice word and besides whereas this stuff is diferent its very similar to the work of Chris Morris and The Onion.

You don't need to be an originator to be the best refiner.

Quote: Lee @ 24th January 2014, 1:25 AM GMT

Influenced is a much nicer word ;)

Quote: Matthew Stott @ 24th January 2014, 9:05 AM GMT

Quite.

I influenced the hell out of HMV when I was younger. Just a phase.

I don't think a style or format of satire can belong to any one person, they are surely just all borrowing bits off each other and building on it. Besides having a go at brooker for 'ripping off' these ideas is a bit unfair since he was involved in things like Brass Eye and The 11 O'Clock Show anyway. Besides, there is a real need for spoof news and biting satire. It's not good enough to say no-one else is allowed to do spoof and satire because one person in the US has already done it. He rescued telly for me when he started doing Screenburn/wipe.

"In this garden Darwin saw and apple fall out of a tree, and wondered if there was a monkey up it"

A bit Molesworth-esq but genuinely laughed out loud at that. :D

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ 23rd January 2014, 10:39 PM GMT

Very good tonight. Philomena stole the show with her line about people experiencing past lives not remembering they were monkeys.

As others have pointed out, these fake reports were ripped totally from The Daily Show with Jon Stewart - as was 10 O'clock Live.

I hope Brooker does a whole segment about British telly ripping off the Americans, particularly emphasising his own thieving plagiarism, the dirty robber.

Didn't That Was The Week That Was do fake reports? And Private Eye (in magazine form of course)? I'm pretty sure it's just a style of satire that's been around in one form or another since the Victorian era. I don't think anyone holds exclusive rights to use a particular joke-telling format.

Philomena's bit featured a woman's face. They've clearly ripped off 'The Bible' which has a character called 'Eve' who had a woman's face.

Quote: DougWonnacott @ 24th January 2014, 1:45 PM GMT

Didn't That Was The Week That Was do fake reports?

Yes.

And, unlike The Daily Show, it was funny.

Okay, disregarding the pedantic discussion about comedy chronology for five whole seconds, I'm just pointing out that the Philomena bits were rather lazily dreamed up as a bit of filler and that I found the overall tone to be very similar to the Samantha Bee Daily Show reports, just as 10 O'Clock live feels very borrowed from the same show.

If like me (and Brooker), you're an avid fan and regularly watch The Daily Show with Jon Stewart, you can see where the tone, style and the jokes were lifted.

Sorry to burst your Screenwipe worshipping bubble, I know it's discomforting to hear that Charlie isn't the most super original Jesus of all time and I realise that my allegations show up a level of hypocrisy when Brooker slags off other TV programmes for ripping off formats, but it is what it is.

Sorry.

Quote: Aaron @ 24th January 2014, 3:15 PM GMT

And, unlike The Daily Show, it was funny.

Hush yer mouth.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ 24th January 2014, 3:20 PM GMT

Sorry to burst your Screenwipe worshipping bubble...

We burst your Daily Show bubble first :P

I do like the Daily Show btw Laughing out loud

Quote: Lee @ 24th January 2014, 4:11 PM GMT

I do like the Daily Show btw Laughing out loud

I just found it amusing that people who never watched the Daily Show were telling me I was wrong about Brooker ripping it off.

It's like those X Box sperms on the Internet saying that the future soldiers in Avatar were a total Halo rip off, not realising that Halo ripped off Aliens (and about a thousand other sci-fi films and books).

I think rip off is a bit much in a case like this. I would say that those kind of interviews are now just a format that lots of people have done, rather than one guy's special schtick.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ 24th January 2014, 4:36 PM GMT

I think shouting rip off is just a bit much in a case like this.

I think opposite. Congratulations, we have both thunk something.

Quote: Renegade Carpark @ 24th January 2014, 4:41 PM GMT

I think opposite.

Yes, you often certainly seem to.