Charlie Brooker's Weekly Wipe 2014 Page 3

Where DO clouds go at night?

"She was kind enough to give Roy a handjob" Laughing out loud

I like the Clunk bits, I've not seen the Daily Shows version though, do they really spoof BBC4 documentaries?

Quote: Lee @ 24th January 2014, 12:15 AM GMT

I've not seen the Daily Shows version though, do they really spoof BBC4 documentaries?

No, but they did invent the deliberately ignorant news reporter doing in depth stories including interviews with experts who don't realise it's a spoof.

I've seen that style of joke used lots of times. I never thought of it as original or something that can be ripped off anyone. Maybe because they're both similar TV shows, it's easy to make parralels but spoofing a TV show is the nature of any 'Wipe. I think it's just coincidence.

I'll find a clip and see for myself though. What's the skit called?

Isn't that what Ali G did?

I haven't seen the ones in question either though.

Chris Morris is like the king of it.

Right, finally found something, disregard previous link -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdfxNYKWcN4

I did enjoy the previous link :D

Quote: zooo @ 24th January 2014, 12:35 AM GMT

Isn't that what Ali G did?

It's going to be a debating point as the original Daily Show began in 1996 and the 11 O'Clock Show began in 1998.

Regardless, Brooker is still ripping off this format some 16 years later.

I see the similarities but I think it's more of a coincidence. If it wasn't in the style of a spoof but a straight up report, then I'd be more convinced of copying.

Quote: Lee @ 24th January 2014, 12:34 AM GMT

I never thought of it as original or something that can be ripped off anyone.

You young people and your deliberate disregard for intellectual property rights - you crack me up you wacky funsters.

Quote: Lee @ 24th January 2014, 12:58 AM GMT

I see the similarities but I think it's more of a coincidence.

See my previous comment. Brooker has no problems 'borrowing' from the Daily Show with Jon Stewart.

Did Jon Stewert invent satire now? :P

Quote: Lee @ 24th January 2014, 1:01 AM GMT

Did Jon Stewert invent satire now? :P

Nope, but he did refine it into a clever televisual package. You're probably too young to remember, but when Jonathan Ross first appeared with his talk show, The Last Resort, it was a massive rip off of the David Letterman show in the States.

David Letterman didn't invent the talk show format, but took a unique and fresh approach that Danny Baker stole lock, stock and barrel to give to Ross.

Everyone on television is fraud and a thief. Ya here me! A fraud! :S

Influenced is a much nicer word ;)

Quote: Lee @ 24th January 2014, 1:25 AM GMT

Influenced is a much nicer word ;)

Quite.