Charlie Brooker's Weekly Wipe 2014

Just caught this and a bit of a mixed bag. Brooker is back on ranting form and is never better when doing his 'World of Shitverts'.

On the downside, he's farming out more and more of his work to the supporting players. This week we got to see a pointless, but slightly amusing, segment about Time hosted by Philomena Cunk.

It was good to know that she's not just a ventriloquist dummy's head on a stick, but a moving about person - with a ventriloquist dummy's head. And thanks to her tight leggings, we got to see her Cunk when she crossed the 'Marillion Line'.

The EastEnders observations were solid gold, so as long as Brooker keeps up the satirical bite, I'll keep watching.

I liked EMF getting a rare mention.

Quote: zooo @ 9th January 2014, 10:57 PM GMT

I liked EMF getting a rare mention.

:D

I did laugh when Barry Shitpeas lost it with the dolphins.

Dreadful, the filler was just filler and there was no passion.

And the research budget must be slashed to the bone, because it was all just familiar stuff.

Weak and the Russell Brand stuff was like eating a kebab you found in a land fill.

That and the Philomena Crunk was just empty filler.

Quote: sootyj @ 9th January 2014, 11:06 PM GMT

Dreadful

Think that's a tiny bit harsh. It certainly made me laugh more then the 2013 yearly round up which was just re-treads and filler.

I certainly laughed out loud a few times during the show, which is a rarity these days.

I liked the 2013 round up more.

The dolphin bit was good.

Very funny first episode, I thought. Lots of laughs.

Even when it's not funny, it's still watchable and I will always look forward to watching a 'wipe.

Quote: Lee @ 10th January 2014, 12:00 AM GMT

I will always look forward to watching men wipe.

:O

Brilliant, I was chuckling over Stanhope and Charlie carried on with his misanthropic word play observations which kept me chuckling and then introduced one of my alltime faves, Limmy, who topped it all off with his insane and inately hilirious observations that ended with me splutttering my Guinness all over myself. Seriously, Limmy is such a welcome addition I feel like it was aimed directly at my funny bone. Limmy's bit was so perfect and I didn't think any production company could add anything to his editing or timing but I think that it did. So so pleased Charlie has seen Limmy's brilliance and managed to bring him to a wider audience untainted!

The EastEnders stuff was very funny. And in parts (Phil coming up for air) horrific.

Enjoyed it - though I thought giving the girl another section was a mistake ( in itself a quickie gag that went on too long).
I'd rather listen to CB being outrageous.

EDIT
I forgot about Limmy - not seen him before (I notice he has his own thread on here).
Sort of weirdly enjoyed him.

Only got one laugh from me (the 'wear your skin like a coat' bit) and felt quite lacklustre throughout. The EastEnders bit was ok as TV criticism, but wasn't satirical in the way that his criticisms used to be.

The Philomena Cunk 'moments of wonder' section felt like an attempt to do what Samantha Bee does on The Daily Show, only very out of place and not especially funny. If it was topical it might have made sense on what is supposed to be a vaguely topical show, but as Lazzard said, a throwaway gag drawn out for several minutes.

This show seems to have a bit of an identity crisis - not quite Screenwipe, not quite Newswipe, and not really what Brooker seems to want to do any more. He doesn't seem to have the heart for it these days and when I watch it I just see someone earning a paycheck.

I liked it. Philomena's over the shoulder look of confusion when she wasn't understanding the Time expert was masterfully done and had me crying with laughter. She is becoming my favourite part of the show (I also enjoyed Barry Shitpeas Dolphin rant).

I think the show might work better as hour long 'Monthly Wipes' rather than just six weeks at the beginning of the year and that's it. 12 full hours a year with more time and material to choose from for each episode.

But I guess that would cause scheduling problems and would mean Brooker wouldn't have any time for his several other projects.

That would be a good idea, in terms of enjoyment anyway.