Two Doors Down Page 3

Yeah it's another case of writers exaggerating a particular part of a character and making it practically their whole personality (or in your Not Going Out example it feels to me that they've spread Toby and Anna's relationship to the other couples).

I think I've used this example on the BCG forums before but it's like Denise and Dave in The Royle Family. Not the brightest of sparks to begun with but after the initial run of 3 series and the two Christmas specials, it was like Aherne and Cash decided to lobotomise them. Before, though not intelligent, they relatively had some common sense and quick wit to them.

I still enjoy Two Doors Down and feel part of it is potentially intentional and hopefully character development what they did with Cathy and Colin in the finale and -SPOILERS- them being brought down a peg or two.

I First Saw The Pilot for this when i was abit younger , and i didn't understand it to much.

but since ive seen the episodes on bbc 2 when they originally aired , i thought it was excellent, and loved it ever since and including the pilot episode.

can't wait for the new series next year now.

It's on this year according to this they announced yesterday (plus another Christmas episode), and changes happening in the cast: (spoilers within)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/bbcstudios/2022/merry-and-bright-bbc-studios-two-doors-down-confirmed-for-6th-series-and-christmas-special-on-bbc-two-and-bbc-iplayer-in-2022

Quote: george roper @ 18th August 2022, 1:45 AM

I First Saw The Pilot for this when i was abit younger , and i didn't understand it to much.

but since ive seen the episodes on bbc 2 when they originally aired , i thought it was excellent, and loved it ever since and including the pilot episode.

can't wait for the new series next year now.

Long time George. Have you been inside?

Quote: octothorpe @ 1st August 2022, 11:59 PM

the last two episodes have left me feeling hopeful the magic is still there, and tonight's was easily a return to the show at its best

How curious, as I thought the binary opposite: that the first few episodes of the series were very entertaining, whilst the last two felt like it was retreading old ground and being forced to bring in random new/one-off characters to give the regulars something to do. Indeed on the basis of those final two programmes I could have very easily seen the series being dropped, or the writers quitting, on the basis of having explored every avenue.

Let's see what Series 6 and Siobhan Redmond bring though, because when it's at its best it's still riotously funny.

They might struggle without Cathy?

Is she leaving? I didn't know

Quote: beaky @ 19th August 2022, 1:06 PM

Is she leaving? I didn't know

https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/news/6979/doon-mackichan-leaves-two-doors-down/

I read your link Aaron and the writers have cracked it hopefully.
She's left him and gone abroad.

The BBC says: "Colin needs his neighbours more than ever this series as his wife Cathy has left him and now lives abroad"

That opens lots of stories for the randy seedy Colin.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 21st August 2022, 9:59 AM

I read your link Aaron and the writers have cracked it hopefully.
She's left him and gone abroad.

That opens lots of stories for the randy seedy Colin.

And potentially a chaotic spin-off. Costa del Cathy.

But yeah, single Colin... He's going to latch on to Michelle even more!

Two Doors Down's S6 launch now has a listing on BBC Programmes (https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0d5gfdg), to start Wednesday 9th November at 10pm (new day for it, only aired on Mondays or Tuesdays before).

Kinda surprised by the quick turnaround, especially given how recently the second half of S5 was broadcast, though they managed something like it in 2016 for the second series. I imagined they'd do a Series 3 and show the Christmas special then the rest of the new series from January; that BBC statement from March detailing there would be two series this year was right, then, and didn't mean 'financial year' as some read into it (but admittedly wasn't a bad guess).

Unlike the second series, though, it looks like this series will be able to run without messing about with scheduling to fit it in before the Christmas seasonal programming (S2E5 and E6 aired in a double-bill); probably 9 November - 14 December. The week after, the 21st, will likely be too early for the Xmas special, so that'll likely get slotted in across the festive weekend. I hope that they don't opt for the boxset treatment, as really that for the latter half of the last series was due to very unique circumstances; this series, in comparison, will be broadcast ordinarily.

Looking forward to this, such a great show!

Quote: octothorpe @ 26th October 2022, 8:45 PM

Unlike the second series, though, it looks like this series will be able to run without messing about with scheduling to fit it in before the Christmas seasonal programming (S2E5 and E6 aired in a double-bill); probably 9 November - 14 December. The week after, the 21st, will likely be too early for the Xmas special

Just had a look - last year's Christmas episode was on 20th, so they put that on early (I remember last year BBC also inexplicably put WILTY on BBC One on that day or 21st, when it's usually Christmas Eve!) so 21st may be where they put the Christmas special.

Guess it depends what BBC2 has in it's Christmas offering, might be nearer Christmas Day?

Anyway, rewinding a bit to the start of Series 6, really curious about it - quite the cast member exit and may be a different dynamic popping up. Might be a Cathy shaped hole, might be a nice refresh!

https://www.sundaypost.com/fp/two-doors-down-star-elaine-c-smith-on-the-future-of-scottish-film-and-tv/

Great article about Two Doors Down and it's famous fans

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/tv/9607281/sir-tom-jones-big-fan-two-doors-down/

Here's another article, pretty much the same though, enjoy!

Some first-look pics have been posted by TVZone (https://www.tvzoneuk.com/post/twodoorsdown-s6pics). From it, I get the sense that Siobhan Redmond's character is quite close to Colin; at first I thought she might be his mother, but I'm unsure given the age of his father in previous episodes (in his 80s IIRC). It also looks like we're finally getting Ian and Gordon's lesbian friends (Morven(?) and the other whose name I can't recall), and an episode featuring the entire ensemble in the midst of a heatwave (which, funnily enough, is an idea for an episode I'd thought of as ideal for a while). Arabella Weir also appears to have resorted to her character's normal hairstyle, which she wasn't able to do for the past series (I did come across the reason why, but I've long since forgotten!).

And, ta for those articles!