Two Doors Down Page 8

Incredibly sad news. Co-creator Simon Carlyle has passed away suddenly, at just 47.

https://twitter.com/DailyMirror/status/1689403641919123456

What a dreadful day for the comedy world, after Doreen Mantle.

Also co-wrote Boy Meets Girl, and more recently Changing Ends too. He wrote good solid sitcoms.

Horrible news. A young age to go too.

Such sad news. I had a brief chat with Simon early in the year and he seemed very friendly and - yeah - just a nice guy. As Feooree says, some really solid sitcoms.

Terrible news, he was a great writer, 48 is such a young age really and he had so much more to give, RIP Simon Carlyle.

An interview with Kieran Hodgson by BBC News (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-66446265) said that an eighth series was "expected" for next year, with "rumours" of a stage show. If at least the former comes to pass, then it confirms what I thought might be the case in that at least one more series was penned before Carlyle's death.

Also of note, Series 4 opener "Anniversary" will be repeated on BBC One tonight at 10:40pm (except Wales), presumably in tribute to Carlyle.

Quote: octothorpe @ 18th August 2023, 5:23 PM

An interview with Kieran Hodgson by BBC News (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-66446265) said that an eighth series was "expected" for next year, with "rumours" of a stage show. If at least the former comes to pass, then it confirms what I thought might be the case in that at least one more series was penned before Carlyle's death.

Also of note, Series 4 opener "Anniversary" will be repeated on BBC One tonight at 10:40pm (except Wales), presumably in tribute to Carlyle.

Thanks for the sending the interview link, it seems that Two Doors Down was getting better promotion and bulding up to more, but its now too late, I doubt the other writer would pen any Two Doors Down on his own, if series eight has already been fully written, is there anything stopping it being filmed in terms of copyright etc?

Quote: JJlovescomedy @ 19th August 2023, 11:59 AM

Thanks for the sending the interview link, it seems that Two Doors Down was getting better promotion and bulding up to more, but its now too late, I doubt the other writer would pen any Two Doors Down on his own, if series eight has already been fully written, is there anything stopping it being filmed in terms of copyright etc?

The article notes that they spoke to Hodgson days before Simon Carlyle passed, and there's nothing solidly confirming Series 8 had been written. I don't suppose copyright will be an issue if it was though, if Simon and Gregor Sharp wrote an 8th series together and had signed it on with BBC commission wise. Simon seemed so nice and open and caring, I imagine he'd not want them to squander a commission either.

I do think it happening next year might change though, the cast and crew may want to take time out from it and come back later when Gregor and the cast know what they want to do going forward.

Just watched the start of the new series, the first episode was very good, not epic but really enjoyable, next week will be better when its starts proper.

I've not watched much of it but watched tonight. I was a bit lost because I'd read that Doon had missed the last series but was returning. I was a bit lost though.

I've tried to like this, but it just leaves me cold

It's very gentle - but subtle.
I like Doon's husband, he's a dirty little bugger.

I lost faith in this after the third series. It's milking it at bloody 7. Have the BBC got nowt else apart from Alma's Not Normal, which looks like it's getting delayed by a few months now.

Enjoyed this. Impressive how it's retained such a high standard for so long.
Doesn't sound like there are many fans on here. A shame. It's very well written and performed.
Does anyone know how the Billy Connolly bit was done?

What a day, I'm agreeing with Hallam.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ 27th November 2023, 8:03 AM

What a day, I'm agreeing with Hallam.

Madness. Total loony lefty!