Best Woody Allen Film?

I note there's a thread devoted to Woody Allen lines in this forum, but no thread dedicated to his films. Surely the greatest ever comedy filmmaker deserves to have his films discussed. That said, it's very hard to narrow his films down to which is the greatest, although if forced I'd plump for Annie Hall. Don't get me wrong, I love Richard Curtis's Four Weddings and a Funeral, but if you want a more accurate portrait of romance, you can't beat Annie Hall.

Truly the most consistent funny man with something intelligent to say about life.

I love Manhattan, but Broadway Danny Rose pips it. Bittersweet and funny. It's just a shame he gets the girl at the end.

Love and Death.

Broadway Danny Rose always does it for me but just as sidebar, I bought a 'Dick Cavett' box set recently. For those that don't know because they weren't a child of the 60's or 70's, DC was an American Parkinson. Not particularly good all the time but that was just the way things were. Anyway, one of the episodes is an excellent interview with Woody Allen which was worth the price of the set alone. Very funny.

Quote: JohnnyD @ August 30, 2007, 11:20 AM

Love and Death.

Difficult but I agree.

Play It Again, Sam

Stardust Memories

Hannah and Her Sisters

I'm fond of 'Radio Days' and 'Sleeper' but I'll also put a vote in for 'Everyone Says I Love You' just for its sheer bravado.

Deconstructing Harry.

Yes, that's a great one.

I also love Manhattan Murder Mystery. It's a bit slapstick but firmly rooted in the real world, which I love. And Bullets Over Broadway.

Annie Hall is probably my favourite, although just to be predictable, Manhattan is also fantastic.

There are many different types of Woody Allen film, but my favourite type:

1. Stars the man himself
2. Playing a writer
3. Preferably with either Diane Keaton or Alan Alda
4. And involves the realistic relationships between affluent middle class New Yorkers.

That cuts out most of his slapstick fantasy stuff. And anything tragically set in England. (*cough*MatchPoint*cough*.)

Don't forget Scoop!

Quote: JohnnyD @ August 30, 2007, 11:20 AM

Love and Death.

Ditto.

My top 5 favourite Woody Allen films (in no particular order):

1. Annie Hall
2. Play it again, Sam
3. Love and Death
4. Sleeper
5. Take The Money and Run

The first time I watched a Woody Allen film was Sleeper in 1999 and I absolutely loved it. However, I didn't watch another one for 6 years til I saw Annie Hall. I kick myself now for leaving such a big gap!

Why do his films take so long to come out on DVD - is Hollywood Ending out yet? And almost 30 years for Stardust Memories, an undoubted great film.

Quote: SlagA @ September 3, 2007, 6:27 PM

Why do his films take so long to come out on DVD ... almost 30 years for Stardust Memories ..

Well, I guess, half that time was spent developing DVD technology!

And wouldn't it be great if Woody gave us a Director's Commentary, ever. I don't think any of my Woody DVDs (all the 'comedies' up to Broadway) have anything more than a 'theatrical trailer'.

"I like them Woody Allen's films, except for that nervous fella who's always in them"