Best Woody Allen Film? Page 5

Will there ever be such a thing as a complete Woody Allen boxset, I wonder?
They only seem to come in mini box sets.

Quote: zooo @ June 29 2011, 1:35 PM BST

Depends if he decides to be cremated or not.

It does my head in.

One of the most brilliant and loved comic writers, standups and film makers.

Packing it in because he's determined to be the most 3rd rate arthouse film maker.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ June 29 2011, 1:42 PM BST

Depends if he decides to be cremated or not.

I like it. That really would be 'the best of Woody Allen'.

Match Point <3

Scarlet was fantastic but weird ending still don't get it...

Quote: Stylee TingTing @ June 28 2011, 3:32 PM BST

3) Deconstructing Harry (probably because of the "black hole" joke).

That's the main reason I dislike his films now. There are always people saying the joke in ....., the black hole joke, the metaphysics exam joke, the oedipus wrecks joke, the convoluted, over cerebral, pretentiously intellectual and not really funny at all jokes the little squirt sticks randomly in his films to give them some of cache or kudos they do not merit.

His films are full of artifice and he's one of the most self indulgent directors I've come across. And definitely one of the most over rated, although I doubt that many top film makers really rate him as a director, because technically, he is not good. There's no 'invisible hand' in his movies, I find all of them jerky and lacking in their own free voice. His influence is always too noticeable, and often distracting, for me.

Quote: Kenneth @ June 28 2011, 2:45 PM BST

Just watched Bananas (1971). It's excellent. Very little of the boring emotional romantic angst crap so prevalent in several of his later films. Instead, very silly and full of clever jokes, and good political satire. And there's even a very young uncredited Sylvester Stallone.

Yes, It's in my top 3 WA films.

If there ever will then it will be very big, hugely expensive and contain an awful lot of guff.

Annie Hall - that to me captured a time and place, his beloved New York was shown in a natural way weaved into the film. The scenes between Alvie and Annie probably the best comedy love story, great lines, funny scenes and it showed Woody's neurotic wry view on life/relationships without being too indulgent.
I rate Hannah and Her Sisters too for the great casting of Michael Caine, and the tangled relationship setups.

Quote: Shandonbelle @ July 9 2011, 1:13 PM BST

I rate Hannah and Her Sisters too for the great casting of Michael Caine, and the tangled realtionship setups.

Looooove that one.
There is little better than curling up on the sofa while it's raining outside, and watching an old Woody Allen film.

I got a bit bored by Hannah and Her Sisters. The new Woody Allen film is supposed to be pretty good.

There'd be an awful lot of crud in such a boxset. Then again, if anyone's entitled to make crud, it's Woody.

True. Only half of them would be great.

I like Take The Money and Run. It's slapstick fun.

I like the 'soap' gun!

(or 'gub' as Vergil would have written it...)

Of the lesser recent(ish) films I quite like Small Time Crooks (with Hugh Grant) and Sweet and Lowdown (with Sean Penn). Not classic Allen at all, but still quite fun.

Have you seen The Trivial Pursuits of Arthur Banks? It's the best project Woody Allen never made. Think Annie Hall' Meets 'Manhattan' in Los Angeles! Check it out: amctv.com