Best Woody Allen Film? Page 6

Probably Love & Death or Manhatten

Quote: sootyj @ June 29 2011, 1:44 PM BST

It does my head in.

One of the most brilliant and loved comic writers, standups and film makers.

Packing it in because he's determined to be the most 3rd rate arthouse film maker.

Although after watching one of more recent 'funny' films-Scoop, I was begging to rewatch Interiors.

I never really got into Woody Allen until a few years ago, you rarely find his films on mainstream TV and I figured he was just a dinosaur.

Then I stumbled across Play It Again, Sam and I realised how important he is / was to comedy.

It's probably my favourite film of his for this bit of dialogue, which I still run over at least a few times a week.

After trying it on with a girl who reacts rather badly.

"I attacked her. I'm a vicious jungle beast. She's panicky. When she gets home, she'll be hysterical. What am I gonna tell Dick? She'll probably go to the police. What did I do? I'm not Bogart, I never will be. I'm a disgrace to my sex. I should get a job at an Arabian palace as a eunuch.

That neurotic stream of conciousness rant had me in stitches.

Annie Hall. This isn't even a debate.

Laughing out loud I love 'Sleeper' never laughed so much, not seen all the others, but this is genious comedy.

Quote: RichyWright @ April 8 2012, 10:36 PM BST

Annie Hall. This isn't even a debate.

Agreed.

Wrong love and death is funier, sleeper is funnier, zelig is better as is the front

But annie hall is still a fine film

Must make a point of watching the whole Woody collection, and haven't seen quite a few but the ones that appeal the most are the semi autobiographical ones. Taken individually, the scenes in Annie Hall are priceless...the cinema queue, the 'thought bubble' chat on the balcony, the lobster etc...love it.

Quote: zooo @ June 29 2011, 1:35 PM BST

Will there ever be such a thing as a complete Woody Allen boxset, I wonder?
They only seem to come in mini box sets.

This is probably as close as there is at the moment...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Woody-Allen-Film-Collection-DVD/dp/B007W21JZO/ref=sr_1_2?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1342961755&sr=1-2

Best: Take the Money and Run; Bananas; What's Up, Tiger Lily?; and Hannah and Her Sisters.

Worst: Deconstructing Harry, although that has one true moment of greatness. Otherwise, it's truly awful. I went and saw it at the cinema and I still want my money back.

Quote: shaggy292 @ July 22 2012, 2:22 PM BST

This is probably as close as there is at the moment...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Woody-Allen-Film-Collection-DVD/dp/B007W21JZO/ref=sr_1_2?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1342961755&sr=1-2

Ooh, that's pretty tempting.

Quote: Ignatius Rake @ July 22 2012, 3:11 PM BST

Worst: Deconstructing Harry, although that has one true moment of greatness. Otherwise, it's truly awful. I went and saw it at the cinema and I still want my money back.

One of his better films of that time. You obviosuly haven't sat through the Curse of the Jade Scorpion or Melinda Melinda.

Quote: youngian @ July 22 2012, 10:44 PM BST

One of his better films of that time. You obviosuly haven't sat through the Curse of the Jade Scorpion or Melinda Melinda.

Well spotted. I guess it's only his earlier films I like. Although I find it amazing that in Deconstructing Harry he wrote a film about a neurotic Noi Yoik writer who I believe played the clarinet. Where does he get his inspiration?

Quote: Ignatius Rake @ July 22 2012, 3:11 PM BST

Worst: Deconstructing Harry, although that has one true moment of greatness.

Would that be the Black Hole gag?

No, the bit when they are trying to fix a camera and then one guy says something along the lines of: "Hang on. It's not the camera. It's him. He's out of focus!" Then it cuts to a blurred Robin Williams I think. The film then reverts to being a lame pile of dead anuses.