Best Woody Allen Film? Page 4

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ March 29 2010, 1:09 PM GMT

Hey could you go to Hollywood and tell the idiot mogules that please! Some studios seem to have banned anything but the happiest of endings for their movies, but they are so wrong in their thinking.

Now you've got me thinking of doing a Top Ten Tragic Endings or Tragic Films. Hmmm, The Brothers Karamazov would definitely be in it, I can't think of a film that's moved me more, off the top of my head.

:D Love the idea of top 10 tragic endings. Start a thread in General, please. :)

Haha. That will be one spoiler heavy thread!

Quote: Mickeza @ March 28 2010, 6:23 PM GMT

I have to share in the hate of Manhattan, I just fail to see how it's so universally loved. His funniest film is 'Love and Death', I also love 'Sleeper', 'Take The Money and Run' and 'Play it Again Sam. His best film has to be Annie Hall though, It's the only time I think he gets the blend of comedy and drama correct. Honorable mention to Match Point, a really good film with a cracking twist at the end, easily the best of his more recent stuff. I've yet to see Broadway Danny Rose, so maybe that will change my opinion, but currently it's Annie Hall.

C & M blended comedy and drame very effectively. And in its own way was pretty chilling about human nature. Plus Alan Alda with his dictaphone was very funny.

Quote: chipolata @ March 30 2010, 12:17 AM BST

Plus Alan Alda with his dictaphone was very funny.

Apparently Alda was riffing with the character in the first few days of shoots and inspired Woody to rewrite and amplify Alda's part as a result.

Alda was exceptional in Crimes and Misdemeanours.

Good news for Woody Allen fans - his most recent film, starring Larry David(released in the States last year) 'Whatever Works', is due to be released in the UK on 25th June.

Notable for the fact that his films don't always get a release here. I didn't think this one was going to. But it is.

Love and Death his best, for me. Although Play It Again Sam is probably my favourite overall (but he only starred in it). I like Annie Hall next best.

Manhattan was very good of course, but never amongst my faves: I prefer The Purple Rose of Cairo and Sleeper over it.

Manhattan is a masterpiece. You can spot the philistines a mile off...

'self indulgent'

No, that's just what being an artist is. Maybe stick to Richard Curtis c**t-fests.

Quote: jim field @ July 31 2010, 8:37 PM BST

Manhattan is a masterpiece. You can spot the philistines a mile off... 'self indulgent' No, that's just what being an artist is. Maybe stick to Richard Curtis c**t-fests.

It's a pity you don't contribute more, jim field. You have such charm.

Quote: chipolata @ July 31 2010, 11:41 PM BST

It's a pity you don't contribute more, jim field. You have such charm.

:D

Quote: Mickeza @ March 29 2010, 8:46 PM BST

I finished watching Manhattan Murder Mystery, hilarious film, ""Claustrophobia and a dead body - this is a neurotic's jackpot!" I really wish Woody would just do more fun films like this one, but who am I to lecture to the master. I guess I'll just have to try and write them myself :P

MM Mystery is shamefully overlooked, there's loads of funny scenes and Allen and Keaton were just as good as they were in their prime together. The only problem with him making more 'fun' films is that they might be more like the terrible Small Time Crooks.

Managed to catch Whatever Works which felt like a recycled cut and shunt of previous better work. Certainly not one of his most awful films but he can thank the always watchable Larry David for that.

I found MMM a bit boring and have never gone back to it.

Just watched Bananas (1971). It's excellent. Very little of the boring emotional romantic angst crap so prevalent in several of his later films. Instead, very silly and full of clever jokes, and good political satire. And there's even a very young uncredited Sylvester Stallone.

1) Zelig;
2) Sleeper;
3) Deconstructing Harry (probably because of the "black hole" joke).

Quote: SlagA @ August 30 2007, 3:38 PM BST

Truly the most consistent funny man with something intelligent to say about life.

I love Manhattan, but Broadway Danny Rose pips it. Bittersweet and funny. It's just a shame he gets the girl at the end.

Yeah, I love Danny Rose as well. For me, it's got the lot: the usual stunning cinemaphotography & art direction, his genuine warmth and love of NY, some genius set-ups (e.g. the shoot-out in the carnival float warhouse!), one-liners to die for.....and so much more Wonderful, warm, funny film. God bless you Woody - you daft bugger!!