On The Buses (The Movie)

On The Buses is a 1971 British comedy film directed by Harry Booth and starring Reg Varney and Doris Hare. The film is the first spin-off film from the TV sitcom On The Buses and was followed by two further films, Mutiny On The Buses (1972) and Holiday On The Buses (1973). The film was produced by Ronald Chesney and Ronald Wolfe for Hammer Films, and enjoyed major success in Britain, outdoing Diamonds Are Forever to become the highest performing film of 1971.

Which one is the best of the three movies?

A classic film. I would probably say that Holiday On the Buses is the best film out of the three.

Holiday On the Buses is the best

Loved all three. I will say Holiday On The Buses.

What is it with certain BCG members and this dated, maybe a bit sexist, sitcom?

Quote: Tim Azure @ April 26 2013, 9:03 PM BST

I know what you mean I find these almost unwatchable, but people do seem to love them. :O

Quote: Tim Azure @ April 26 2013, 9:03 PM BST

If by dated you mean not cutting edge, not relevant to life today etc then you have probably missed out on, in my opinion, one of the greatest pieces of comedy writing and performance namely the very dated 'Sunday Afternoon At Home' episode of Hancock's radio show.

Dated because how many of the Young Blades on here can remember pubs closing at 2pm and not reopening until 7pm, no shops open apart from paper shops in the morning, no football, no 'pictures' Just sitting round 'waiting for the next lot of grub to turn up'?

Quote: Oldrocker @ April 27 2013, 11:58 AM BST

If by dated you mean not cutting edge, not relevant to life today etc then you have probably missed out on, in my opinion, one of the greatest pieces of comedy writing and performance namely the very dated 'Sunday Afternoon At Home' episode of Hancock's radio show.

Dated because how many of the Young Blades on here can remember pubs closing at 2pm and not reopening until 7pm, no shops open apart from paper shops in the morning, no football, no 'pictures' Just sitting round 'waiting for the next lot of grub to turn up'?

Yeah but that's a classic - that's why it hasn't dated.
I don't think he's saying all old stuff is bad.
But you have to be honest - On the Buses really hasn't worn very well.
It was mildly shit at the time - but now...

Well I've never seen HOTB as I'm not a fan of the show

However, a quick look at the plot in wiki and I'm sold

Three of the company's buses are wrecked due to Stan's negligent bus driving, which means dismissal for Stan (Reg Varney), Jack (Bob Grant) and Inspector Blake (Stephen Lewis) are sacked. Stan and Jack get a job as bus crew at a holiday camp, only to find that Blakey has also got a job at the camp, as security inspector. Stan invites the family to stay whilst he proceeds to chat up the guests and staff. Meanwhile, Blakey thinks he can teach the guests old time dancing. Stan and the family get into an adventurous holiday, including repainting the whole of a bedroom as Little Arthur squirts ink around the room, a suitcase full of murky river water, and an exploding toilet.

Exploding toilet? That's the clincher, get me Amazon on the blower

Quote: Lazzard @ April 27 2013, 12:11 PM BST

Yeah but that's a classic - that's why it hasn't dated.
I don't think he's saying all old stuff is bad.
But you have to be honest - On the Buses really hasn't worn very well.
It was mildly shit at the time - but now...

Well judged, Lazzard.