Bluestone 42 - Series 1 Page 2

It's clearly a sitcom, since when were comedy-dramas 30 minutes long?

Quote: dennispennis123 @ February 21 2013, 11:49 PM GMT

It's clearly a sitcom, since when were comedy-dramas 30 minutes long?

Genre is not defined by length, but by style and content.

See also current 30 minute comedy drama Being Eileen. Which, incidentally, is neither comedic nor dramatic.

Quote: Nigel Ball @ February 21 2013, 11:54 PM GMT

This is true but I think the war is way too on going to make light out of it at the moment.

Without having seen a single second of the programme I can comfortably predict that it won't be any more making fun of the war itself than Hi-De-Hi! made fun of people who have the audacity to go on a holiday, or Open All Hours mocked members of the public who want to buy things. It'll be about a group of people and their relationships with each other.

Quote: Aaron @ February 21 2013, 11:52 PM GMT

Genre is not defined by length, but by style and content.

See also current 30 minute comedy drama Being Eileen. Which, incidentally, is neither comedic nor dramatic.

True but you could argue any 30 minute comedy that has dramatic moments is a comedy/drama. Does that mean Only Fools and Horses, Some Mothers Do Ave Em, The Royle Family, Vicar of Dibley etc are comedy dramas?

I just find most comedy dramas are sitcoms that aren't that funny so they've been sold on a different angle.

Quote: dennispennis123 @ February 22 2013, 12:03 AM GMT

I just find most comedy dramas are sitcoms that aren't that funny so they've been sold on a different angle.

I certainly wouldn't disagree.

I didn't say they will be making fun out of it. For me it's a simple case of bad timing not subject matter. I don't care if it's 30 mins long or 2 hours long, I won't be watching it.

Quote: Nigel Ball @ February 22 2013, 12:04 AM GMT

I didn't say they will be making fun out of it. For me it's a simple case of bad timing not subject matter. I don't care if it's 30 mins long or 2 hours long, I won't be watching it.

You seemed to be objecting to the timing because you believed they'd be making fun of an ongoing serious situation.

Out of interest, do you watch Have I Got News For You, Mock The Week, 8 Out Of 10 Cats, Charlie Brooker's Weekly Wipe or anything else topical?

Quote: Nigel Ball @ February 22 2013, 12:04 AM GMT

I don't agree with this at all. You seem to be suggesting that some subject matter be completely off limits for comedies and dramas.

As for this, it's too early to comment but it if anything this show sounds too reverential to the military. A lightweight and lewd comedy in the tradition of Two Pints (with which it shares a producer) - in other words a show that fluffs soldiers. I'd personally rather we had a scathing angry Thick Of It style examination of the military and the people who work in it.

MASH, although ostensibly about the Korean War was clearly made in response to America's involvement in Vietnam and started airing before the US pulled out. It went on to be one of the most successful comedy programmes of all time.

Quote: chipolata @ February 22 2013, 10:10 AM GMT

I don't agree with this at all. You seem to be suggesting that some subject matter be completely off limits for comedies and dramas.

As for this, it's too early to comment but it if anything this show sounds too reverential to the military. A lightweight and lewd comedy in the tradition of Two Pints (with which it shares a producer) - in other words a show that fluffs soldiers. I'd personally rather we had a scathing angry Thick Of It style examination of the military and the people who work in it.

Again! like I have said umpteen times. Its not the subject matter its a matter of bad timing and bad taste at the moment. instead of just reading one post read um all yeah! I didn't expect anyone to agree but its my opinion and that's what it is, An opinion which I am aloud to have.

The war is just to volatile.

Quote: Nigel Ball @ February 22 2013, 10:33 AM GMT

Again! like I have said umpteen times. Its not the subject matter its a matter of bad timing and bad taste at the moment.

What if the war goes on for a hundred years, which one war did, then we wouldn't be able to make any programmes about it for a hundred years. I don't want to have to wait until 2113 for even the hope of a good Afghanistan War Sitcom.

I'm not having this turn in to an argument its not what I was after. does no one else actually think its bad taste at the moment? with body's still coming home I think its in bad taste.

Quote: Aaron @ February 22 2013, 12:10 AM GMT

You seemed to be objecting to the timing because you believed they'd be making fun of an ongoing serious situation.

Out of interest, do you watch Have I Got News For You, Mock The Week, 8 Out Of 10 Cats, Charlie Brooker's Weekly Wipe or anything else topical?

Yes Aaron, I do watch all of these programs but as soon as they cross the line and start mocking the war in Afghanistan then its goes over until that conversation has finished. I have no objection about mocking the wanker suit wearers who instigated the war. but as far as the actual war there is a line.

Can you set a simple Yes/No Poll up to see if I am on my own on this one?

Nigel, which bits of "mocking the war in Afghanistan" are you actually against?

Personally, I do lots of military gigs, I've gigged in front of 17-21 year old squaddies all the way up to top brass at Norwood HQ and the one consistent thing about military audiences is their self-deprication and ability to take the piss out of themselves and their colleagues (quite often in the darkest, sickest way possible).

I always find that provided I've proved that I can take a bit of stick myself then they love it when I do near-the-knuckle jokes at their expense, as long as it's done cheekily and not vindictively.

If they had switched the location to Iraq, would that have made it acceptable to you as the war there has been over for a couple of years?

I respect what you are saying Tony and I'm not shy of controversial subjects as a lot of the stuff I write could be deemed wrong on so many levels. I think its more to do with that war destroying so many British and american young lives and families, and still is. I am personally giving this a wide Birth.

As Aaron stated, Allo Allo! was aired during the first gulf war and that is fair enough but Allo Allo wasn't actually about the gulf war.

My DVD collection is full of war films ranging from "bridge over the river Kwai" to "full metal Jacket" "Black adder goes forth" etc so I'm not getting at the subject matter as they were made after and not during as far as I know. I just find it insensitive to air it at the moment while the war still rages on. I can't seem to find the comedic light at the end of the tunnel on this one Tony, Sorry.

Looks like they spent a few quid on the production, somehow brings to mind that failed show "Taking the Flak" from a couple of years ago. The trailer had some promising aspects, but it's hard to determine the "tone" based on the naughty bits only...also the obvious Full Metal Jacket reference ("Surfing Bird") was heavy handed.