Derek - Series 1 Page 15

Quote: Shandonbelle @ February 14 2013, 12:59 PM GMT

Ah, well my guess is early onset dementia.

Does that chat up line ever work?

Quote: chipolata @ February 14 2013, 2:01 PM GMT

I'm not sure there's anything that could satisfactorily explain Kevin. He's suffering from a Benjamin Button like condition that means although he looks like an out of shape forty year old he's actually only twelve? He's a ghost? He's just a normal underachieving bloke who's decided the way to get noticed on reality TV is to act like a twat? (I think it's this last one)

Maybe he'll just break down and have a self aware moment where he admits he's a disgusting bastard, or... saves Derek from drowning in the pond.
Christ only knows.

Quote: Andicus @ February 14 2013, 6:38 AM GMT

He had a go at her because 'all' she wanted was the ring. Not because it belonged to her mother and had sentimental value, but just for the sake of having it. She clearly didn't give a toss about her mother, and pretty well let her know as much when she was (briefly and resentfully) visiting. She was a disgusting human being, if that wasn't obvious.

Perhaps I wasn't clear. I was commenting on the poor, poor writing.

To clarify: Dougie called the daughter a magpie, yet hours earlier HE was stealing items himself. So we ended up with Magpie Dougie having a go at Magpie Daughter for - being a magpie!

Quote: don rushmore @ February 14 2013, 2:41 PM GMT

Perhaps I wasn't clear. I was commenting on the poor, poor writing.

To clarify: Dougie called the daughter a magpie, yet hours earlier HE was stealing items himself. So we ended up with Magpie Dougie having a go at Magpie Daughter for - being a magpie!

Yeah but Dougie was collecting tat to raise money for the home, the daughter was only there on a selfish quest for her mother's ring. So you can't really compare the two.

Quote: sootyj @ February 14 2013, 2:01 PM GMT

Does that chat up line ever work?

:D

Unfortunately, no.

Quote: Dr Sanchez @ February 14 2013, 3:47 PM GMT

Yeah but Dougie was collecting tat to raise money for the home, the daughter was only there on a selfish quest for her mother's ring. So you can't really compare the two.

Yeah , but there was a bit of a disconnect in as much as at the end he berated the fat daughter for not taking the box of stuff "That's her life there" - when before he he was bemused at why the kept "all this old shit".
The collecting for the jumble sale was just a bit of long-winded business to set up the 'missing frog' gag.

Quote: Dr Sanchez @ February 14 2013, 3:47 PM GMT

If you lived in a care home, popped downstairs for breakfast, then returned to your room and found the handyman had pinched some of your possessions (tat or not), how would you feel?

He's a thief and a hypocrite.

It's opium for the masses - and the masses are liking it.

Sometimes, that's all you need.

There are gaping holes in most 'stories' if look close enough.

If you don't like the man - you aren't going to like anything he does.

Quote: Stephen Goodlad @ February 14 2013, 4:04 PM GMT

It's opium for the masses - and the masses are liking it.

Sometimes, that's all you need.

There are gaping holes in most 'stories' if look close enough.

If you don't like the man - you aren't going to like anything he does.

I don't think the last bit of that is true at all. I think The Office is brilliant, I quite like a lot of Derek but I can't abide Ricky Gervais. I find him immensely irritating but he's written some great stuff.

Quote: Sinon @ February 14 2013, 4:21 PM GMT

I don't think the last bit of that is true at all. I think The Office is brilliant, I quite like a lot of Derek but I can't abide Ricky Gervais. I find him immensely irritating but he's written some great stuff.

That

Quote: don rushmore @ February 14 2013, 3:59 PM GMT

If you lived in a care home, popped downstairs for breakfast, then returned to your room and found the handyman had pinched some of your possessions (tat or not), how would you feel?

I'd put it down to dementia and make use of the new space.

I wonder who chose the Prince Charles head prop. That was quality tat.

Quote: Team Film It @ February 13 2013, 7:27 PM GMT

Ok so after watching episode 2 and being a Ricky gervais fan I have a theory on this show.

What if it's supposed to be a spoof on how corny and sentimental shows like this can be? I got the thought of this during the 10/10 girl starts crying scene as I started laughing at how silly it was.

Like I said I'm a Ricky Gervais fan and like to think he wouldn't write something as cliche as this without it being ironic.

Gervais's gurning is a bit reminiscent of Ray Stokes of When the Whistle Blows as well.

There's a line in Extras where Andy Millman's agent asks if he wants fame or credibility because he can't have both. Or he could star in Derek and have neither.

I thought episode 3 was good. It had some real laugh out loud moments espiacally the bit with the frog ornament

Quote: chipolata @ February 14 2013, 2:01 PM GMT

I'm not sure there's anything that could satisfactorily explain Kevin. He's suffering from a Benjamin Button like condition that means although he looks like an out of shape forty year old he's actually only twelve? He's a ghost? He's just a normal underachieving bloke who's decided the way to get noticed on reality TV is to act like a twat? (I think it's this last one)

But if he was suffering from Benjamin Button condition he'd look 40 when he was 40 as it's middle age :P

I read somewhere an idea that Kevin's autograph collection will be sold to save the home and I think that sounds pretty likely.