Derek - Series 1 Page 17

Quote: zooo @ February 27 2013, 2:28 PM GMT

F**k knows, ask him.

Sorry, wasn't shooting the messenger or anything!
It just seems like the typically glib, unthought-through answer he would give.

Well if it's a piss take he really is taking no prisoners.

I mean contrast his remarks about Derek and his utterly straight, no joking around stuff about animal cruelty.

Surely it's more along the lines of a mockumentry than a documentary! Either way it's rubbish! As is the sound track.

One question I would ask him is. Why are you such a pompous plank and what makes you think people give a shite?!

I will probably be ridiculed for this but if it wasn't for Martin Freeman and certain others stepping up to the mark, then The Office would have gone the same way. "Down the shitter". Now that sounds like the new Gervais sitcom.

Quote: Nigel Ball @ February 27 2013, 2:38 PM GMT

I will probably be ridiculed for this but if it wasn't for Martin Freeman and certain others stepping up to the mark, then The Office would have gone the same way. "Down the shitter". Now that sounds like the new Gervais sitcom.

The Office was written and acted expertly. Derek feels like it's been written and performed by the the Legz Akimbo Theatre Company from The League Of Gentlemen.

I really enjoyed that episode (don't all attack me at once). Best one so far. Doc Brown was brilliant, and it's the first ep where I haven't hated Kev.

The Making Of show afterwards was enjoyable too. Ricky and Karl just chatting is hilarious (yes, yes, funnier than Derek).

I shall repeat my Facebook review:

A piss scented fantasy island fronted by Joey Deacon's other shoe.

That said, at least no evil relatives this time.

If you cut out the crudity and swearing you've basically got a very simplistic mainstream show. It's naive feel- good wish fulfilment would work well in the My Family slot or on a Sunday afternoon after a Heartbeat repeat.

Quote: chipolata @ February 28 2013, 11:56 AM GMT

If you cut out the crudity and swearing you've basically got a very simplistic mainstream show. It's naive feel- good wish fulfilment would work well in the My Family slot or on a Sunday afternoon after a Heartbeat repeat.

I think viewers of that slot actually like to laugh, not mawkish sentimentality. Mid-week, maybe, but although it's simplistic it certainly isn't up to My Family standards as a comedy.

Quote: Nigel Ball @ February 27 2013, 2:38 PM GMT

Surely it's more along the lines of a mockumentry than a documentary! Either way it's rubbish!

I'm sorry, WHAT? Do you not understand what a mockumentary is?

The making of was more emerald than the actual show but seriously weird

Quote: Aaron @ February 28 2013, 1:57 PM GMT

I think viewers of that slot actually like to laugh

I don't know, I've seen some of the shows in that slot. But the point is it is over sentimental manipulative tripe that still might work in a pre watershed slot. Possibly in the Doctors slot? I don't know.

I enjoyed last night's episode. It had some very funny moments within but I didn't get chance to watch "The Making Of" but no doubt I will catch up with that tonight!

The Duran Duran bit was quite funny and some of the lines raised a chuckle but it still has an overall podgy half cooked feel to it.

Last night's episode made me think of one word: sledgehammer.

Quote: chipolata @ February 28 2013, 11:56 AM GMT

My Family is much funnier.

This is just a weird vanity project.

Quote: Nigel Ball @ February 27 2013, 2:16 PM GMT

Glad to see it isn't just me that thinks it's a load of old hat tripe!

What the hell is "hat tripe"?