Derek - Series 1 Page 11

Quote: sootyj @ February 8 2013, 1:23 PM GMT

...There's Something About Mary are great examples of people with learning disabilities playing themselves.

Who?

Quote: zooo @ February 8 2013, 1:23 PM GMT

Who?

Lee Evans?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/There's_Something_About_Mary

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ringer_(2005_film)

Oh she had a disabled brother, I don't really remember him.

Aaaaanyway. As Derek's not disabled, this is fairly beside the point.

Quote: zooo @ February 8 2013, 1:34 PM GMT

Oh she had a disabled brother, I don't really remember him.

Aaaaanyway. As Derek's not disabled, this is fairly beside the point.

I thought he had learning difficulties? I just don't get this programme at all anyway.

Zooo I hate to say it but at the end of the Wizard of Oz, it's a guy behind a curtain that's Oz, Old Yella got shot and the soft toys from Play School were ripped to pieces by Shep and then burned. Whilst the cast of Blue Peter drank cheap lager and laughed at them.

*shrug* You can choose to think badly of everything Ricky does, I can choose to take him and what he says about his own character at face value.

Quote: sootyj @ February 8 2013, 1:46 PM GMT

the soft toys from Play School were ripped to pieces by Shep and then burned.

Just no.

Quote: zooo @ February 8 2013, 1:49 PM GMT

*shrug* You can choose to think badly of everything Ricky does, I can choose to take him and what he says about his own character at face value.

I think that bizarre "are you autistic?" "I don't care!" speech says it all.

Ha, I quite liked that. (Slightly heavy handed, like the rest of the show but still quite sweet.)

With his intent on taking this to Netflix and becoming self-sufficient in regards to distribution. It's clear that this is his little baby project. He can do what the f**k he wants, as we can chose not to pay attention.

It's just hard to believe that a guy who is often rewarded with crowns such as the king of comedy (by crazy people) is so blatantly producing such utter shit. We expect better from him, I personally expect better from him as a fan.

This show is such a mess of ideas. Ricky is known, and admits it himself that he likes to speak his mind. Fair enough. So why is he not brave enough to exercise his full potential here?
If he wants to create a no-holds barred comedy about a mong, that's exactly what he should do. Whether we hate or love him for it is a different matter.
But what we have here, is his worst fear - writing for a target audience. That audience being the easily offended/mass. Whatever Derek is supposed to be, it's plainly obvious to everyone, we are getting a diluted version of that.
Maybe fans of the show think it's the best thing since sliced bread but I'd love to look one of them in the eyes and tell me that this is the peak of Ricky's creativity and talents and they'd be happy if he never wrote or performed again.

We all want another Office/Brent. Why the f**k isn't he producing that? Even with this character, with his so-called king of comedy talent, he should be able to polish a turd. C'mon Ricky!

Quote: Lee @ February 8 2013, 3:47 PM GMT

Maybe fans of the show think it's the best thing since sliced bread

I've not heard anyone say they think that.

It's that sad though? And that was my attempt at a general reference towards your good self and anyone else who praises it :D

Yes I could tell.

Quote: Lee @ February 8 2013, 3:47 PM GMT

We all want another Office/Brent. Why the f**k isn't he producing that?

Simple. Because he's been overrated since day one.