The Sitcom Trials 2013 Page 7

I have a script I'm thinking of sending, but I have 4 characters and a Parrot in cage that speaks. Would that be ok?

Quote: jack martin @ March 27 2013, 9:10 PM GMT

I have a script I'm thinking of sending, but I have 4 characters and a Parrot in cage that speaks. Would that be ok?

As long as you can provide your own parrot, go right ahead.

If the script is so funny we feel it simply has to go through, then go through it will. There will, however, only be guaranteed to be 4 actors available to perform it, unless you are supplying your own writer-performer team. So you enters your scripts and you takes your chances.

There are a few writer-performers who have entered scripts which, I realise, gives them an unfair advantage over writers-alone. The WPs can simply say "yes, my mate will play that part" and it happens. I will be, however, ensuring that the best writing gets its opportunity in this competition, and that the directors and actors who are assigned to the shortlisted script represent them in the best possible way. So, if you can make it easy on those directors and actors by staying within the recommended casting guidelines, you will do yourselves a favour.

But once more I reiterate, The Sitcom Trials is about finding the best comedy, not putting the rules & regulations above all else in a jobsworthy manner. So if your script is the funniest, we'll try and do it. But if it's close, considerations like over-sized casts will start to signify.

Kev F Sutherland
Creator & Executive Producer
The Sitcom Trials http://sitcomtrials.co.uk

PS: There's a Sitcom Trials (non-competition version) taking place in Bath on April 5th featuring the best of last year's Bristol entries and some new entries: https://www.facebook.com/events/398197460277099/ 8pm, £4 - and preceded by a Scottish Falsetto Socks show at 6.30, the perfect comedy double bill.

Hey can anybody confirm the deadline, in the original post the deadline was stated as midnight March 31st, although yesterday the message on sitvacs said the deadline is today.

cheers

If you are a writer / performer, do you need to show a video link for all the cast? Or is it ok if you've just got one of the princible character?

Quote: cedardude @ March 30 2013, 12:19 PM GMT

Hey can anybody confirm the deadline, in the original post the deadline was stated as midnight March 31st, although yesterday the message on sitvacs said the deadline is today.

cheers

Pretty sure it's midnight, March 31st. Though I've just watched "Inception", so I'm questioning my reality.

Just read the yahoo group email and have to admit I was a bit surprised by the result of this comp. Still. Congrats to the winner!

Quote: evan rubivellian @ April 1 2013, 10:31 AM BST

Just read the yahoo group email and have to admit I was a bit surprised by the result of this comp. Still. Congrats to the winner!

You on about the Bristol show in early 2013 (Feb I think)? Or has there been some group email about the one with last night's deadline?

Thanks to all the entrants, and well done to those who ignored any April Fools posts. As I believe you have all been told:

Hi,

Thanks for your entry to The Sitcom Trials - So You Think You Write Funny. You'll be notified if it is shortlisted for the heats of the competition.

Please stay tuned to sitcomtrials.co.uk and our Facebook and Twitter feeds to be sure of hearing the latest updates on scripts selected and the competition in general.

All the very best

Kev F Sutherland
Executive Producer
The Sitcom Trials http://sitcomtrials.co.uk

Hi Kev,

So, April Fool aside, when can we expect to hear the results?

Quote: evan rubivellian @ April 3 2013, 8:45 AM BST

So, April Fool aside, when can we expect to hear the results?

We have to read all the scripts, and to get every one read by at least two readers. Then we'll discuss a longlist then we'll announce a shortlist. Expect this to take up April.

(Yes, I know I invented our unprecedented online peer-review system just so no-one would have to go through all of these chores, but the competition being what the competition is, I'm afraid the open-air free-for-all that we usually enjoy is not happening this time round. It'll be back.)

Kev F
Sitcom Trials http://sitcomtrials.co.uk

How many scripts do you have to plough through? :)

Thankyou to everyone who has entered scripts into The Sitcom Trials SYTYWF 2013. They are currently being read and a shortlist for production is being drawn up.

I would be interested in getting input from 'lay' readers in this group on the scripts that are entered. If you would be interested in reading and reviewing a handful of scripts, your contributions would help in reaching our decision.

Rather than throwing the floor open to everyone, as we do usually, I would only select a few people to read scripts, and their observations will remain private. The scripts are not available to be read by the public in the usual way.

If you would like to read scripts that have been entered, could you email me directly at kevf.sutherland(at)virgin(dot)net, and I'll consider you as a reader. You would need to be able to read a dozen scripts (or more if you chose) over the next week and a half.

When you email, could you please let me know if you have read & voted on Sitcom Trials scripts before, if you have performed or had your work performed in The Sitcom Trials before, and if you have entered a script this time round. All of these are good things, and none stands in your way as a script reader.

Thanks for your help, I look forward to us making the most informed selection of scripts.

Kev F Sutherland
Executive Producer
Sitcom Trials - So You Think You Write Funny 2013 http://sitcomtrials.co.uk

You mean you can't be arsed to read them yourself...

Keep the writers out of the voting, Kev! We only muck things up!

The shortlist of 30 scripts for The Sitcom Trials So You Think You Write Funny has been drawn up. Stay tuned for the announcement...