The Sitcom Trials 2013 Page 8

The 30 shortlisted scripts, the writers thereof, have all just been emailed. Everyone check your inboxes http://sitcomtrials.co.uk

Announcing the 30 shortlisted sitcoms for the heats of The Sitcom Trials - So You Think You Write Funny 2013

The Sitcom Trials returns in force in 2013, with the ultimate competition to find the best new situation comedy talent in Britain. And this year we have joined forces with The Gilded Balloon, producers of the UK's longest running comedy new talent competition -
So You Think You're Funny.

The 30 shortlisted scripts are

Alice & The Genie, Neil Tollfree
Alien Hunter, Richard Hattersley
As Plain as Day, Richard Dowling
Cash & Currie, Bobby Finn
Cast, Peter Etherington
Cuz Zombie, Belgrave & Coppin (animation)
Detached, Collins & Taylor
Fall From Grace, Eoin Carney
From Home, Darryl James (WP)
HMS Bagworth, Gary Stocker
I See A Penguin, Richard Dowling
Is It Just Us? Olly Allsop & John Barron
Medicine to Follow, Keyworth & Maguffins (WP)
Most Likely To, Anderson & Brayshaw
Networking, S Davenport
Never Better, Rosie Holt (WP)
None Of The Above , Lewis Cook (WP)
Oh Be Joyful, James McMellon
Out Of My Head, Colin McQuaid
Project Romance, Harriet Cummings
Separate Parents, Sweryt & Spiers
Shirley's Temple, Chen & Leigh (WP)
Situation Normal, Naomi Carter (WP)
The Last man, Dan McKee
The Thrift Collection, Graeme Knowles
Theatre, Andrew Tate
Three In Tow, Eoin Carney
Trainspotting, Graeme Knowles
Waiting, Martin Holmes
You Banker, Richard Dowling

(WP indicates a writer-performed sitcom)

Thanks to everyone who entered, commiserations to those who didn't make the cut, and particularly well done to the three writers who each have found themselves with more than one script in the final running. A result of having a panel of script readers, judging the scripts independently on their merits, has led to a fine selection of sitcoms which will now be performed in a series of six nationwide heats.
The dates for the heats are:

Fri May 3 - Manchester Heat 1 (Lass O'Gowrie)
Fri May 10 - London Heat 1 (Camden Head)
Fri May 31 - Bristol Heat 1 (Wardrobe Theatre)
Fri June 7 - Manchester Heat 2 (Lass O'Gowrie)
Thu June 13 - Bristol Heat 2 (Wardrobe Theatre)
Fri June 14 - London Heat 2 (Camden Head

Fri July 19 - London Semi Final 1 (Camden Head)
Mon July 22 - London Semi Final 2 (Camden Head)

Final Weds 21st August 2013 (The Gilded Balloon, Edinburgh Fringe)

Awesome!

Thanks for selecting my script Kev and other readers! Really looking forward to seeing it performed.

Good stuff. Cheers, Kev.

Dan

Thanks Kev.

Congrats to all those selected, and well done to everyone who managed to get an entry in.

Congratulations everyone who made it through!

Cheers Kev and well done to everyone who got through (except Evan who's clearly just showing off!).

The word "gobsmacked" does not begin to describe how I feel. (Mr Dowling is my real name.) Many thanks to all the readers and to Kev for organising the competition.

Congrats to all the writers who made it through!

Good advice from my friend Josie Long...

Josie Long‏@JosieLong21 Apr
@Changehumans hey go for it! Just be unashamed and try to balance angry stuff with advice and silly stuff?

View conversation Reply
Retweeted

Favorite

More

@JosieLong Having trouble making ppl take up the theme of austerity UK in comedy. My work w UKUncut inspires me.

Josie Long‏@JosieLong21
@Changehumans it takes a while, just do it for the love of it!
Collapse Reply
Retweet

Favorite

More

And you so totally posted that in the thread you meant to post it in, didn't you.

Quote: Loveday @ April 22 2013, 11:00 AM BST

Good advice from my friend Josie Long...

Josie Long‏@JosieLong21 Apr
@Changehumans hey go for it! Just be unashamed and try to balance angry stuff with advice and silly stuff?

View conversation Reply
Retweeted

Favorite

More

@JosieLong Having trouble making ppl take up the theme of austerity UK in comedy. My work w UKUncut inspires me.

Josie Long‏@JosieLong21
@Changehumans it takes a while, just do it for the love of it!
Collapse Reply
Retweet

Favorite

More

Not sure if this is allowed, I'd hope so.

But as Kev had put out a call for lay readers I'm guessing he got some from BCG - if any have any comments on my entry I'd be extremely grateful if you could email me.

I'd guess that most will have forgotten by now, but you never know - and the feedback from the Halloween SitCom Trials was an excellent help. It would be stupid of me to not even ask if anyone has any!

My email address was on the cover - though it's judgement_dave and that's at me.com

Well done, you lot!

Evan, you clever tart.

Quote: Kev F @ April 22 2013, 12:33 PM BST

And you so totally posted that in the thread you meant to post it in, didn't you.

I did actually Kevin. I might be Irish. And I might be a woman. But I'm not stupid. It's just something Josie sent me after I found I wasn't on the shortlist. I thought it might help others who haven't made the cut this time, keep them going so they don't give up :)

Nah, don't give up. I've had many, many failures before I got anywhere. Just keep writing and learning and rewriting and relearning and it'll come eventually.

Tenacity is as important as actual skill!

Dan

A couple of questions...

When are we likely to find out what date our script will be performed on?

And how involved are the writer's in the "production" side of things?

I mainly need to know so I can request days off work. Thanks. :)