The Sitcom Trials 2013 Page 9

Just wondering Kev or anyone else who might know, how many scripts in total were entered into this comp?

I seem to recall 110 being mentioned somewhere.

Congrats to everyone that made it through! My Script - 'Alien Hunter' made the shortlist. But I can't take all the credit. Despite listed as having one writer, it was co-written with my brilliant co -writer Jack Turvey. Best of Luck to everyone! Looking forward to seeing it performed.

Announcing the line-ups for the first three SitcomTrials - So You Think You Write Funny heats.

Manchester Heat 1 Fri May 3
- As Plain as Day, Richard Dowling
- From Home, Darryl James
- Out Of My Head, Colin McQuaid
- Cash & Currie, Bobby Finn
- Theatre, Andrew Tate
Sitcom Trials at The Lass O'Gowrie, 36 Charles St, Manchester M1 7DB. 8pm

London Heat One Fri May 10th
- Alice & The Genie, Neil Tollfree
- Never Better, Rosie Holt
- Three In Tow, Eoin Carney
- Separate Parents, Sweryt & Spiers
- Most Likely To, Anderson & Brayshaw
Sitcom Trials at The Camden Head, 100 Camden High St, London NW1 0LU. 7.30pm. Tickets £5

Bristol Heat One: Friday May 31st.
- None Of The Above , Lewis Cook
- Fall From Grace, Eoin Carney
- Project Romance, Harriet Cummings
- Detached, Collins & Taylor
- HMS Bagworth, Gary Stocker
Sitcom Trials at The Wardrobe Theatre, Bristol. 8pm. Tickets £3

Writers who would like their complimentary tickets (and plus ones) email Kev at kevf@sitcomtrials.co.uk

The Sitcom Trials returns in force in 2013, with the ultimate competition to find the best new situation comedy talent in Britain. And this year we have joined forces with The Gilded Balloon, producers of the UK's longest running comedy new talent competition -
So You Think You're Funny.

Kev: Will the voting in the heats be just by the audience?

Just to clarify--it said on the Sitcom Trials website that a panel of judges would also be involved. Or is that only for the finals?

Quote: evan rubivellian @ April 24 2013, 11:08 AM BST

Kev: Will the voting in the heats be just by the audience?

The audience will be voting and, as usual, they will be shown the ending only of the winning sitcom, ie their favourite. However the panel of judges will make their decision independently. We will then announce at the end of the show, the one sitcom that has been chosen by the judges to go through to the semi finals. There will then be the chance of a second sitcom from the heat going through to the semis.

From the 6 heats, in which we're showcasing 30 sitcoms, we will be choosing 10 semi finalists. So that's one definite winner from each heat, plus another 4 "best of the runners up" to be decided after we've had all 6 heats.

The audience's response will inevitably have an influence over the success of each sitcom on the night, so anyone who can encourage their friends to come and laugh volubly, will be doing themselves a favour. And they will also boost their chances of being the winner of the audience vote on the night. Whether that sways the judges' decisions when it comes to the cut for the semi finals will have to be seen.

(So, to clarify that, the audience's vote, in pure numbers, does not directly affect the choice of sitcoms that go through to the semis. This has to be the case, to ensure the prize doesn't simply go to the author with the most friends.)

Quote: evan rubivellian @ April 24 2013, 4:58 PM BST

Just to clarify--it said on the Sitcom Trials website that a panel of judges would also be involved. Or is that only for the finals?

Judges will sit in all the heats, the semis, and the final. The audience will also vote in all, and will get the reward of seeing the ending of the audience's favourite every time.

Sorry Kev, cos that's clear as mud. Are you saying the judges might vote for a sitcom they haven't seen the ending to? Or will they at least have seen the scripts? IMHO it would be ridiculous for any respectable judge to vote on something when they haven't had the same opportunity to see them all in the same light. Maybe your judges should vote before the denouement?

Anyway, it's your baby. Good luck to all involved.

Thanks, Kev.

May I have the names and telephone numbers of the judges? It's er, just for my collection, you understand.

Quote: Badge @ April 25 2013, 12:17 AM BST

IMHO it would be ridiculous for any respectable judge to vote on something when they haven't had the same opportunity to see them all in the same light.

Then we shall be employing only disreputable judges. They will be voting on sitcoms the ending of which they have not seen.

Hi Kev,

Any news on the second batch of trials shows? When will we know which one our scripts are in?

Good luck to my fellow contestants in the Manchester heats tonight! I won't be able to attend but I sincerely hope everyone who goes has a great night.

<3

And the winner of tonight's 1st Sitcom Trials So You Think You Write Funny heat in Manchester is...a long story. The audience saw 5 sitcoms and voted for their favourite, while the judges voted separately. The audience vote was a 3-way tie, then the judges chose a different one.

Sitcom Trials audience joint equal favourites were From Home, As Plain As Day, and Theatre (the cast performed the end of Theatre) and the judges choice to go through to the semi finals is Cash & Currie by Bobby Finn. Congratulations all writers, cast, and audience.

Full report & video to follow

That's what I like about these competitions, everyone's a winner, or loser...

Well done all at the 1st heat last night - a darn fine show. You know the standard's probably very good when the audience is split so much.

And I know they were a discerning audience as I racked up my second pitch fest winner. :D

Good luck all in the remaining heats (and see any of you who make it to the next Manchester heat).