The Sitcom Trials 2013 Page 11

Quote: Kev F @ May 30 2013, 7:49 PM BST

Doors open 7pm, show starts 8pm.

Thanks Kev. :)

Yet another question. Is the show filmed? And if so, are copies made available for the writers? Thanks again.

And the winner of Friday's Bristol Heat was None Of The Above by Lewis Cook. That was the judges choice, with a possible runner up to go through to the semis once all heats are completed. Vince will give a full report of the show soon (I wasn't there, sadly).

Quote: Martin H @ June 2 2013, 4:02 PM BST

Yet another question. Is the show filmed? And if so, are copies made available for the writers?

The answers are Sometimes and No. When I'm present, I video the show, in part, and upload about a minute each from each sitcom. More than that is usually hard to watch if you weren't there, and the single camera footage doesn't help. (The next London show may have a two camera set-up, all going well). When I'm not there, video-ing is a matter of chance. A recording was made of the last London heat, but so far I've not seen it, and I'm told Friday night's Bristol heat was to be filmed, but whether that worked out I don't know. The next 3 heats will all be partially recorded.

And no, I can't give copies to all the writers. Because of my old-school technology (ie DV tape) I struggle to get the 5 minute edit uploaded to YouTube. How I'd begin to upload a 60+ minute show I don't know. And making and mailing discs to 30 sets of writers is never going to happen, sorry.

Anyone who can make it to the show, or who can send a friend, is welcome to record their contribution as long as you ask in advance. (This may not be possible at the Edinburgh Final, however. More news anon).

If, by the way, anyone knows how to video a 60 minute show and put the whole thing online painlessly, please let me know. Myself, the last video I sent to YouTube was 3 minutes long and, thanks to the hotel wifi/broadband I was using, it took 9 hours to upload! By which token, if I started uploading all of last week's Sitcom Trials, it would still be uploading next Tuesday.

Kev F

PS: By the way, tickets are now on sale for the Sitcom Trials So You Think You Write Funny final at the Edinburgh Fringe, if you want to bag one early https://www.edfringe.com/whats-on/comedy/sitcom-trials As it's a one-off show, it will sell out, most likely before the week of the show.

Hmmm I may be able to help you with filming at the Manchester heat - I've a couple of HD cams and have filmed a few hour long improv/sketch and stand-up things before. And I'm used to providing private links to stand-ups for their own sets.

I'll PM you later with details/links.

Thanks for the info, Kev. Totally understand the hassle it would cause having to send out copies to all the writers, so no worry there. :)

Another question. Sorry.

You know this line-up on the website:

Manchester Heat 2 Fri June 7
- Waiting, Martin Holmes
- Oh Be Joyful, James McMellon
- Networking, S Davenport
- The Thrift Collection, Graeme Knowles
- Is It Just Us? Olly Allsop & John Barron

Is that the order in which they will be performed on the night?

Thanks again.

Sometimes the running order is not established until the night. Friday will most likely be one of those nights.

Kev F
Sitcom Trials

Cool. And while I have your ear, who are the judges going to be on Friday?

Thanks. :)

Good luck to all at the Manchester Trials tonight. I shall be there nervously sipping as much alcohol as I can lay my hands on.

My name is on the door right for my free tickets? :)

Hope everyone has a good time! Good luck Ponderer! I would have wished Martin H the best of luck but, well, all those questions... ;)

Good luck to all!

Great show at The Lass O'Gowrie tonight.. Congrats to all the writers and the cast who did a great job. Kev also did well keeping the fun going between sitcoms and all my travelling support really enjoyed themselves.

Nice. To meet Judgement Dave too.

Who won? Nah. That's Kevs job. Wave

Was a fun night! Sorry I didn't stick around afterwards, had a long drive back and needed food!

I enjoyed all the scripts, and thought the cast did great. It was the first time I've ever seen my work performed live, and I don't tend to write for stage, so it was cool to see that, and I definitely learned what works and what doesn't, and what I'd do differently should I write for stage again. I also felt that mine was a little short compared to others, and felt that my "cliffhanger scene" could have probably been part of the main script.

As for the winner, I thought it was the right choice. Really funny. I even voted for it over my own! :)

And the winner of The Sitcom Trials SYTYWF Manchester heat 2 was... Oh Be Joyful http://sitcomtrials.blogspot.co.uk/2013/05/line-ups-for-2nd-3-heats-of-sitcom.html ... Audience fave was The Thrift Collection.

The highest standard of scripts, a packed crowd, and I hope a wonderful night had by all.

Well done all on Friday - a great show & congratulations to the winners (both audience and judges winners).

Despite actually having a packed social schedule for once* I'm progressing well with the video editing of Friday's show. Should have something in the next day - though I'll no doubt bounce it past Kev for QA first.

* going to the recording of The Show What You Wrote counts as a social schedule doesn't it?