The general pop/rock - music thread Page 14

The BBC album is one of the very few live documents of Beatles. They stopped touring or playing live in general after 1965/66. So its an essential purchase.

Listening to an interesting doc on Jackson C Frank, Blues run the game, a folk legend who only made one album, strange story.

Quote: Pingl @ November 24 2012, 11:55 PM GMT

Jackson C Frank

Had to look that one up on wikipedia, never heard of him. It says he influenced Paul Simon and Nick Drake. Was this doc on TV?

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ November 25 2012, 9:29 AM GMT

Had to look that one up on wikipedia, never heard of him. It says he influenced Paul Simon and Nick Drake. Was this doc on TV?

No it was on radio 4, very interesting, I'd heard some of his songs, but knew nothing about him, a tragic life in all.

Quote: Pingl @ November 25 2012, 9:33 AM GMT

No it was on radio 4, very interesting, I'd heard some of his songs, but knew nothing about him, a tragic life in all.

That's a typical life for a folk/blues singer songwriter...I think Dylan's life is atypical. Writing hugely influental lyrics and music and still living well at the age of 70 and not being destitute.

Oldrocker is not the only rock-god who celebrates his birthday these days. Jimi Hendrix would be 70 tomorrow, if he didn't play his guitar in heaven.
Happy birthday, you crazy axe wizard!!!!!

Seattle's finest!

Happy birthday, Jimi!

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ November 26 2012, 7:36 AM GMT

Oldrocker is not the only rock-god who celebrates his birthday these days. Jimi Hendrix would be 70 tomorrow, if he didn't play his guitar in heaven.
Happy birthday, you crazy axe wizard!!!!!

Seattle's finest!

:D

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ November 24 2012, 6:28 PM GMT

Has anybody heard the Beatles compilation/mash-up-album "Love" yet? Is it any good?

I've got it and it's Ok as an addition to the real albums.

Quote: lofthouse @ November 24 2012, 7:05 PM GMT

I just bought The Beatles at the BBC cd set for my mum

Looks good

Two two CDs packed with stuff

Is that a new release? I did tape the compilation programmes on Radio 2 a few years ago which amounted to several hours including the just talking and stuff.

Are there Christmas Fan Club records available on CD?

Quote: Chappers @ November 30 2012, 6:29 PM GMT

Is that a new release? I did tape the compilation programmes on Radio 2 a few years ago which amounted to several hours including the just talking and stuff.

I think he meant that one:

This was released in the 90s, even before the anthology series.

Quote: Chappers @ November 30 2012, 6:29 PM GMT

I've got it and it's Ok as an addition to the real albums.

Are there Christmas Fan Club records available on CD?

Fan club records, not commercially if you know what I mean

Quote: Pingl @ November 30 2012, 8:03 PM GMT

Fan club records, not commercially if you know what I mean

They issued flexi-discs every year at Christmas.

For all us Folkies out there the Unthanks have a three part special on BBC 4 called A Very English Winter, started last night.

My Dad had that Beatles BBC thing on cassette in the 90s. I've never listened to it. May well look into having a quick listen soon.

Quote: Pingl @ December 10 2012, 2:16 PM GMT

For all us Folkies out there the Unthanks have a three part special on BBC 4 called A Very English Winter, started last night.

Haven't heard of them yet. I must check them out.

Quote: Ben @ December 10 2012, 5:52 PM GMT

My Dad had that Beatles BBC thing on cassette in the 90s. I've never listened to it. May well look into having a quick listen soon.

It's maybe the best official live Beatles set available. But if you're not a big fan then stick to their studio material.