The general pop/rock - music thread Page 13

Changing the subject I remember when I was young and T.Rex suddenly became big they were dismissed by musical snobs (Such as me!) but you hear them now and they had some great heavy riffs. Yes I know the lyrics were bollocks. But what's happened over the years? Have they been remixed or something? Or is it just me (Us)?

Quote: Chappers @ November 22 2012, 10:42 PM GMT

Changing the subject I remember when I was young and T.Rex suddenly became big they were dismissed by musical snobs (Such as me!) but you hear them now and they had some great heavy riffs. Yes I know the lyrics were bollocks. But what's happened over the years? Have they been remixed or something? Or is it just me (Us)?

No the riffs were great, Get It on, Metal Guru, brilliant. I didn't mind the crap lyrics, in fact he wrote one of my favourites from Children of the Revolution, 'I drive a rolls royce cause its good for my voice.' My sister was a mad Bolan fan so I heard a lot of him , loved it then still love it now.

Quote: Pingl @ November 22 2012, 10:46 PM GMT

No the riffs were great, Get It on, Metal Guru, brilliant. I didn't mind the crap lyrics, in fact he wrote one of my favourites from Children of the Revolution, 'I drive a rolls royce cause its good for my voice.' My sister was a mad Bolan fan so I heard a lot of him , loved it then still love it now.

Just laughed at that very lyric while listening to Best Glamrock album. Some brilliance on there. All the yopung dudes, Virginia Plain, Stay with me, Radar Love and This town ain't big enough for the both of us.

When I first heard that last one I thought it was Curved Air as he sounded just like the lovely Sonya Kristina.

Quote: Chappers @ November 22 2012, 10:58 PM GMT

Just laughed at that very lyric while listening to Best Glamrock album. Some brilliance on there. All the yopung dudes, Virginia Plain, Stay with me, Radar Love and This town ain't big enough for the both of us.

When I first heard that last one I thought it was Curved Air as he sounded just like the lovely Sonya Kristina.

There was some great Glam stuff, I was listening to Slade's Flame the other day, its still great, How does it feel is genius. It's music that makes you smile, not a lot of that around these days. I never let a week go by without sticking The Faces on, that was a rock band.

Mind you have you ever heard any of Bolan's Johns children stuff, makes Syd Barrett sound like Vlad the Hippy Hunter.

I did buy one of their CDs but no idea where it is now.

There was one great song called Desdemona which was a single. Sung by Andy Ellison who went on to Radio Stars who had some great pop songs such as Nervous Wreck and Dirty Pictures. They also had an album called Songs for Swinging Lovers with a silhouette of a couple being hanged from a tree.

Quote: Chappers @ November 22 2012, 11:36 PM GMT

I did buy one of their CDs but no idea where it is now.

There was one great song called Desdemona which was a single. Sung by Andy Ellison who went on to Radio Stars who had some great pop songs such as Nervous Wreck and Dirty Pictures. They also had an album called Songs for Swinging Lovers with a silhouette of a couple being hanged from a tree.

I always remember watching Bolan in his kids show Marc, I always wonder if his career would have taken off again, my guess is it would have. Funnily enough he was of the few glam acts that punk had a good word for.

Quote: Pingl @ November 22 2012, 11:42 PM GMT

I always remember watching Bolan in his kids show Marc, I always wonder if his career would have taken off again, my guess is it would have. Funnily enough he was of the few glam acts that punk had a good word for.

Highlights included the Damned and the duet with Bowie.

I was also looking at a Darts video on You Tube. Dan Heggarty was a real Nutter. At the time being a sort of punk I didn't like Darts but having just watched it I realise what class they were.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=GB&hl=en-GB&v=bKlqo2ukDtg

Quote: Chappers @ November 22 2012, 11:52 PM GMT

Highlights included the Damned and the duet with Bowie.

I was also looking at a Darts video on You Tube. Dan Heggarty was a real Nutter. At the time being a sort of punk I didn't like Darts but having just watched it I realise what class they were.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=GB&hl=en-GB&v=bKlqo2ukDtg

I saw Darts live a few times, they were amazing live. Haggerty got to look even madder has he got older with that shock of white hair. I loved that rock n roll revival stuff.

If I had to name a great glam album I'd recommend "Kimono my House" from Sparks. Glam was usually a Brits thing I think but Kimono, despite coming from an American band is nevertheless one of Glam's finest moments.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WWCpvoedfE

Has anybody heard the Beatles compilation/mash-up-album "Love" yet? Is it any good?

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ November 24 2012, 6:28 PM GMT

Has anybody heard the Beatles compilation/mash-up-album "Love" yet? Is it any good?

It was done for the circ de soliel show in Vegas, it's alright, George Martin oversaw it so its OK, but I wouldn't lay any money out for it. Imagine side two of Abbey road except covering their whole career.

Quote: Pingl @ November 24 2012, 6:33 PM GMT

It was done for the circ de soliel show in Vegas, it's alright, George Martin oversaw it so its OK, but I wouldn't lay any money out for it. Imagine side two of Abbey road except covering their whole career.

That's why I asked...the concept sounds more than strange. If I find it veeeeeeeeeeeeeeery cheap I'll give it a try.

I just bought The Beatles at the BBC cd set for my mum

Looks good

Two two CDs packed with stuff

Quote: lofthouse @ November 24 2012, 7:05 PM GMT

I just bought The Beatles at the BBC cd set for my mum

Looks good

Two two CDs packed with stuff

I've got that, good early stuff. Started the whole at the BBC thing, if your Mum likes the Beatles she'll enjoy that one.

Sorted!