The general pop/rock - music thread Page 15

Pingl, you old Fairport Convention fan. Are the R + L Thompson albums any good? I'm thinking about buying some (I have already ordered "I Want To See The Bright...").

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ December 10 2012, 9:47 PM GMT

Pingl, you old Fairport Convention fan. Are the R + L Thompson albums any good? I'm thinking about buying some (I have already ordered "I Want To See The Bright...").

Yes buy, they are wonderful, start with brightlights, then Pour Down Like Silver and Hokey Pokey, Shoot the lights out is brilliant but very dark, I personally am not keen on Sunnyvista. But they all have some great stuff on :)

Quote: Pingl @ December 10 2012, 9:52 PM GMT

Pour Down Like Silver and Hokey Pokey

Those two are in my amazon shopping basket. Thanks for your recommendation.

What's your opinion on The Incredible String Band? I have five albums (ISB, 500 Spirits, Hangman, Big Huge and I looked Up) but I'm still not sure if I'm a fan or not. You can't listen to them on your I-Pod while jogging...you have to listen to them closely. It's "difficult listening" at times.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ December 11 2012, 9:40 AM GMT

What's your opinion on The Incredible String Band? I have five albums (ISB, 500 Spirits, Hangman, Big Huge and I looked Up) but I'm still not sure if I'm a fan or not. You can't listen to them on your I-Pod while jogging...you have to listen to them closely. It's "difficult listening" at times.

Some of its OK but I'm not a huge fan.

People don't seem to remember how huge they were - Woodstock, etc.

When Mike Heron made a solo album in 1971, he got, among others, to play with him:

Richard Thompson, John Cale, Jimmy Page, Elton John and The Who!

Quote: JohnnyD @ December 11 2012, 11:17 AM GMT

People don't seem to remember how huge they were - Woodstock, etc.

Then I'm one of those people: I didn't know they played at Woodstock. As I wrote earlier I find their music a bit difficult at times. I bought my first ISB cd (Hangman) because I read good things about it. When I first listened to it I didn't know what to think about it. But instead of abandoning it completely I kept coming back to again and again. There is something that says: "Don't give up, you'll get it sooner or later and then it will be a great experience". I can feel that there's great substance but I can't grab it completely yet.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ December 11 2012, 3:18 PM GMT

Then I'm one of those people: I didn't know they played at Woodstock. As I wrote earlier I find their music a bit difficult at times. I bought my first ISB cd (Hangman) because I read good things about it. When I first listened to it I didn't know what to think about it. But instead of abandoning it completely I kept coming back to again and again. There is something that says: "Don't give up, you'll get it sooner or later and then it will be a great experience". I can feel that there's great substance but I can't grab it completely yet.

If its that harder work then I'd give up, I either like something or don't I don't want my music to become a challenge.

Kind of know where Gordon Bennet is coming from on this one; there is something there, but sometimes it is all a bit hard on the ears.

Quote: Tursiops @ December 11 2012, 4:14 PM GMT

Kind of know where Gordon Bennet is coming from on this one; there is something there, but sometimes it is all a bit hard on the ears.

Yes, but there are cases where you think: "It's not worth the effort...I don't care". But this is a case of: "There must be something very fruitful here. I'm accepting the challenge" And maybe the chase is better than the catch...or: the chase is interesting enough in itself. (Please excuse my bad English)

Aaaaaaaaaarrgghh

Hippies!!!

*runs*

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ December 10 2012, 7:59 PM GMT

It's maybe the best official live Beatles set available. But if you're not a big fan then stick to their studio material.

I'm not that up to date on their early material. I think Help is the earliest album that I've listened to.

Rubber soul , Revolver and Sgt Pepper is all you need

Abbey Road is good too. There's a fantastic album in The White Album, but it's just too long as it is.

Yeah if you cherry pick the white album there's some decent stuff