The general pop/rock - music thread Page 17

Lady, where's my spy camera?

Where's my spy camera??

Where's my spy camera???

WHERE'S MY SPY CAMERA????

One interesting album is the second ABC album, Beauty Stab.

I did love The Lexicon of Love with all those great classy disco productions but Beauty Stab had some great guitar riffs.

Quote: Chappers @ December 17 2012, 11:45 PM GMT

One interesting album is the second ABC album, Beauty Stab.

I did love The Lexicon of Love with all those great classy disco productions but Beauty Stab had some great guitar riffs.

My ABC collection consists of Lexicon Of Love (Deluxe Edition) and a Best Of. I thought this is all the ABC one will ever need. So you tell me there's more worthy material by them/him?

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ December 18 2012, 9:29 AM GMT

My ABC collection consists of Lexicon Of Love (Deluxe Edition) and a Best Of. I thought this is all the ABC one will ever need. So you tell me there's more worthy material by them/him?

It's a lot rockier!

Just found it on CD in HMV in Oxford after hoping to find it for years.

Listened to "The Best Of George Harrison"..."What It Is Life" is a nice song, but it sounds suspiciously similar to Spencer Davis' "Keep On Running"...

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ December 23 2012, 11:22 AM GMT

Listened to "The Best Of George Harrison"..."What It Is Life" is a nice song, but it sounds suspiciously similar to Spencer Davis' "Keep On Running"...

Don't dis George, the greatest Beatle, My Sweet Lord, Here Comes the Sun, Something, I Me Mine, While my Guitar Gently Weeps, Give me Love, Dark Horse, the list goes on and on

I don't dis him but I think his gems he wrote while being a Beatle promised more than he could fulfill in later years. But his biggest mistake was getting involved with Jeff Lynne (I can't stand his drum sound!!!)...Tom Petty made the same mistake, mind you. If you let Jeff Lynne produce your album your songs lose their balls.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ December 24 2012, 9:15 AM GMT

I don't dis him but I think his gems he wrote while being a Beatle promised more than he could fulfill in later years. But his biggest mistake was getting involved with Jeff Lynne (I can't stand his drum sound!!!)...Tom Petty made the same mistake, mind you. If you let Jeff Lynne produce your album your songs lose their balls.

I think out of all the Beatle solo albums, All Things Must Pass is the best and my favourite. I know what you mean about Lynne, although I loved the Travelling Wilburies. Harrison kind of lost interest in music in 74 and only returned sporadically, but he remains my favourite Beatle and when on form was the master in my opinion. Very underrated generally, Something was the only Beatle's song Sinatra covered. I also liked him as a man which I can't really say I did with the others.

Quote: Pingl @ December 24 2012, 9:21 AM GMT

I think out of all the Beatle solo albums, All Things Must Pass is the best and my favourite. I know what you mean about Lynne, although I loved the Travelling Wilburies. Harrison kind of lost interest in music in 74 and only returned sporadically, but he remains my favourite Beatle and when on form was the master in my opinion. Very underrated generally, Something was the only Beatle's song Sinatra covered. I also liked him as a man which I can't really say I did with the others.

I got "All Things..." (anniversary edition) last Christmas. I wasn't impressed with the first half of disc one but it got better and better which each song. It is now, together with McCartney's Ram, my favourite Beatles solo record.
Harrison was never that interested in being a star. Maybe that's why he lost his interest in making music...because in that business making music is closely linked with the star machinery, especially when you're an ex Beatle. And he never took himself that serious which made him very likeable. But you can say the same about Ringo.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ December 24 2012, 9:32 AM GMT

I got "All Things..." (anniversary edition) last Christmas. I wasn't impressed with the first half of disc one but it got better and better which each song. It is now, together with McCartney's Ram, my favourite Beatles solo record.
Harrison was never that interested in being a star. Maybe that's why he lost his interest in making music...because in that business making music is closely linked with the star machinery, especially when you're an ex Beatle. And he never took himself that serious which made him very likeable. But you can say the same about Ringo.

Oh no I can't stand Ringo, he's full of shit. But each to his own. Ram is great as is MacCartney's first solo album. But for me its George all the way, I love All Things, its rough full of invention, he had so much material he just wanted rid and of course Spector produced it, but for once with a light touch.

I always had the impression of Ringo being a great sport...but of course you in England know more about him.
For me the solo music of Lennon was less interesting than Harrison's and Mccartney's. I don't know why, maybe it's the voice or the lack of good material in later years. I know it's cool to think of him as a God or Rock n Roll Che Guevara but I simply don't like his solo stuff, apart from a handfull of songs I like...Whatever gets You Through The Night for instance.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ December 24 2012, 9:54 AM GMT

I always had the impression of Ringo being a great sport...but of course you in England know more about him.
For me the solo music of Lennon was less interesting than Harrison's and Mccartney's. I don't know why, maybe it's the voice or the lack of good material in later years. I know it's cool to think of him as a God or Rock n Roll Che Guevara but I simply don't like his solo stuff, apart from a handfull of songs I like...Whatever gets You Through The Night for instance.

Totally agree with you on Lennon, his solo work is less interesting. Ringo is a miserable old git, he went on the internet to tell everyone he was to busy to sign autographs, it was hilariously stupid as he kept saying love and peace in the most stupid and ignorant way. Out of all the Beatles he should be grateful, anyway you can find it on YouTube, let me know what you think.

Quote: Pingl @ December 24 2012, 9:21 AM GMT

Something was the only Beatle's song Sinatra covered.

Didn't Sinatra say it was his favourite Lennon/McCartney song?

Quote: Pingl @ December 24 2012, 9:58 AM GMT

it was hilariously stupid as he kept saying love and peace in the most stupid and ignorant way.

quote from "New Kids On The Blecch":

Homer: Yvan Eht Nioj! You've gotta love that crazy chorus!
Lisa: What does it mean?
Homer: Eh, it doesn't mean anything. Like "ramalanga ding dong", and "give peace a chance"

Quote: Ben @ December 24 2012, 10:13 AM GMT

Didn't Sinatra say it was his favourite Lennon/McCartney song?

Yea gotta feel sorry for George never got his due