The general pop/rock - music thread Page 9

Quote: Bob Hicks @ October 22 2012, 1:32 PM BST

Yes it is. But does that really mean the process cannot unearth some genuine talent?

But has it? Don't say Will Young or Leona Lewis.
:D

Quote: Bob Hicks @ October 22 2012, 1:43 PM BST

Listen to these with your eyes shut and tell me you don't hear a shift in direction for these shows

There really seems to a shift. But in Germany or France they become even cheesier and crappier.

Laughing out loud Laughing out loud Laughing out loud Laughing out loud Laughing out loud Laughing out loud Laughing out loud Laughing out loud

I see where you are coming from and I agree to an extent.

I do think we will see more acts (with some talent) having longer careers after the show.

Only time will tell :)

Just thought I'd add two letters and one number to the conversation.

M C 5

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEi1-FSec24

This was 1970, guys....

What I don't understand is why genuine rock/pop stars become jury members. nd I don't talk about some pathetic alcoholic has beens like David Hasselhoff.
I'm talking about Steven Tyler for example. Love him or hate him (I prefer the latter) but he's a real rock legend with great genuine rock classics and a take no prisoners lifestyle. but now he pretends to have tears in his eyes when a nerd sings a Sting ballad "really well".

Quote: Matthew Stott @ October 22 2012, 1:52 PM BST

But has it? Don't say Will Young or Leona Lewis.
:D

All Time Love by Will Young is ok for what it is.

Leona Lewis can sing but the song choices and production has been truly awful.

Rebecca Ferguson has a couple of decent tracks on her album.

The type of music many of the acts go on to do may not be your cup of tea, but I think its a bit harsh to say they are talentless.

Quote: Lazzard @ October 22 2012, 1:56 PM BST

M C 5

This was 1970, guys....

Thanks, I needed that to prevent me from getting a nervous breakdown... :D

True talent will always rise where ever it comes from. X factor is a huge money making machine, and it may not be to our taste but it obviously is to someones. Longevity is not a priority, we live in a fast moving world where most things have a short shelf life. The ones that do last will probably not be the ones you expect. Out of merseybeat who seriously thought Cilla Black would have a forty year career. Versatility is key, not everyone can be a Dylan, most just want to make some money and who's to say they are wrong. They are providing something the public obviously wants.

Quote: Pingl @ October 22 2012, 2:05 PM BST

not everyone can be a Dylan, most just want to make some money and who's to say they are wrong.

There is no chance to become Dylan these days. If you take the normal route it is very likely that you get ignored or lost in great mass of products. if you take the X factor route yo become a star they exploit you, suck you dry and spit you out after 6 months.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ October 22 2012, 2:08 PM BST

There is no chance to become Dylan these days. If you take the normal route it is very likely that you get ignored or lost in great mass of products. if you take the X factor route yo become a star they exploit you, suck you dry and spit you out after 6 months.

no if there is another Dylan out there he would make it. There may just never be another one. ;)

Quote: Pingl @ October 22 2012, 2:10 PM BST

no if there is another Dylan out there he would make it.

Dream on, matey! ;)

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ October 22 2012, 12:07 PM BST

I think Jonathan King produced the first Genesis album.

I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Duke where Phil Collins' presence became more apparent. I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece.

Quote: don rushmore @ October 23 2012, 12:26 AM BST

I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Duke where Phil Collins' presence became more apparent. I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece.

My favourite of the trio-years has to be 'Genesis', the one before 'Invisible Touch'. It works for me because it's a little less radio friendly or stadium ready and therefore more intimate. The pop songs are a bit less lightweight (soundwise) than those on IT (compare That's All and It's Gonna Get Better with Invisible Touch and Into Deep for example) and the epic Home By The Sea is a bit warmer and less glossy than Domino. But it's all in the eye of the beholder.On the other hand IT has one of my favourite Genesis songs on it: Throwing It All Away (I love that song, I don't know why).
For me 'Duke' and 'Genesis' are the most important trio-years albums.

Quote: Lazzard @ October 22 2012, 1:56 PM BST

M C 5

This was 1970, guys....

Respect, Lazzard. The MC5 kicked large buttocks!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AO9-HWiYT4&feature=related

I LOVE YouTube.