Newsjack - Series 7 Page 29

I'm just working on my quickies now, I definitely won't be sending this one off:

A school teacher managed to cram 19 kids into her car. She shouldn't have listened to her Sav Nav.

Has this finished now?

No. There's still time to send in one liners, and there's another show next week.

Quote: StephenM @ October 15 2012, 11:50 AM BST

Wow. It's Monday, deadline day, and this thread is quieter than David Cameron's birthday party. Everyone given up for week 5?

It's been strangely subdued on this thread this series. I know a lot of us had Live From Kirrin Island scheduled in the middle and work and baby have kept me out of the loop, but even so, it seems everyone's very quiet.

I wonder if this is reflected across all writers in the number of submissions they're receiving. If someone does the stats for this series.

Dan

Due to having a cold, I didn't submit any sketches this week - only one liners.

So you still have a sniff.

Quote: swerytd @ October 16 2012, 10:48 AM BST

It's been strangely subdued on this thread this series. I know a lot of us had Live From Kirrin Island scheduled in the middle and work and baby have kept me out of the loop, but even so, it seems everyone's very quiet.

I wonder if this is reflected across all writers in the number of submissions they're receiving. If someone does the stats for this series.

Dan

I'd agree. the critique thread has been dead compared to last series too. Personally it's been a really busy few weeks for me and I haven't had a chance to submit much.

But one thing I have noticed with this series is the tone feels slightly different to previous ones. Maybe it's just me, but there doesn't seem to have been the same variety in the sketches as there was in previous series - Ed Miliband every week, a film skit, a Newsjack shop thingy and umpteen sketches about the party conferences. Obviously these are staples of the show, but it just feels like the jokes are coming from the same place every week and the format feels a little tired, which in turn has somewhat dampened my enthusiasm for writing stuff for the show.

Of course it's difficult to criticise a show that's written by us , but if I have an amazing off the wall idea that's utterly hilarious but a bit unusual, I'd probably sack it off in favour of a half decent Ed Miliband sketch with a fart joke in it - just cos that would stand a better chance of getting in.

So the more they repeat the formula, the less variety of material they'll get, as the goal after all is to get material on the show. My theory is people are getting a little bit bored of that and so maybe aren't submitting as much?

And obviously I don't mean to take an ounce of well-deserved credit away from others who have had stuff on the show (I've had stuff in too!) - the competition is still so fierce and getting stuff is always a terrific achievement.

Or the other theory is people just can't be arsed to post on the forum!

I've really struggled this series. Sent some one-liners in. I just haven't maintained focus. Going to blame ill health and try harder next series.

Idle speculation, but perhaps once you've got stuff on the show then the desire to keep submitting diminishes?

Much in the same way that it would be great to climb Everest, but not every week. Unless you are a sherpa, of course, in which case oh shut-up already.

If my theory is correct then it would explain why this thread is rather quiet, as nearly everybody who posts on the BCG seems to have at least one NJ credit to their name.

Another theory is to do with how people are using the internet nowadays. I post on a few messageboards and I've noticed that all of them seem to be getting a bit quiter recently.

Are people getting tired of the messageboard format? Have they all moved to Facebook? Is the novelty over and people are returning to real life? Is everybody planning an expedition to Everest next year for the 60th anniversary of Hillary's ascent?

I have no idea.

Quote: Jinky @ October 16 2012, 3:20 PM BST

Idle speculation, but perhaps once you've got stuff on the show then the desire to keep submitting diminishes?

With Newsrevue and The Treason Show, my motivation definitely diminished after I picked up my first couple of credits. However with Newsjack, I'm as determined now as was when I first submitted material. (during series five)

But there has undeniably been a big reduction of interest in Newsjack on this forum. Whilst the series six thread garnered 1096 posts - this one has only got 429 so far - and we're nearly at the end of the series.

Also, the posting of rejected Newsjack sketches in critique has virtually ceased. Only thirteen threads with a 'NJ' prefix have been posted this series - eight of which are mine.

Eleven jokes off from me - a couple are repetitious on subjects but I figure that can't hurt. To me this series the show sounds like a lot of it has been written on a Tuesday - but then I'm sure I could be wrong maybe it sounds that way to me because it's been more finely polished. It's hard for everyone to keep enthusiasm for a show which takes so much effort and for the most part you have so little feedback. It is possible that perhaps the older writers have had their successes and have had enough of the grind of it. That could reflect on the forums. But what do I know?

Quote: groovydude89 @ October 16 2012, 3:44 PM BST

With Newsrevue and The Treason Show, my motivation definitely diminished after I picked up my first couple of credits. However with Newsjack, I'm as determined now as was when I first submitted material. (during series five)

Interesting. I see a progression of...

Newsrevue -> Treason Show -> Newsjack

...as being the faltering little steps a baby bird has to take before it takes to the air and soars high above the valleys (or more likely gets eaten by a cat, if this image is going to be brutally honest).

Which means another theory is that people have either moved on to other things or given up. Or have been eaten by cats.

Quote: Jinky @ October 16 2012, 3:59 PM BST

Which means another theory is that people have either moved on to other things or given up. Or have been eaten by cats.

not entirely implausible...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2217147/Stray-cat-epidemic-families-struggling-everyday-bills-longer-afford-pets.html

Quote: StephenM @ October 12 2012, 9:30 AM BST

I'll be there. Lurking somewhere by the bar no doubt.

Eating too much cheese?

Quote: swerytd @ October 16 2012, 10:48 AM BST

A lot of the news for weeks has been:
- paedophile TV presenters
- paedophile teachers
- kid abduction/murder

That doesn't help generate comedy gold since NJ won't touch that.

Quote: DeathbyMonkey @ October 16 2012, 3:45 PM BST

It's hard for everyone to keep enthusiasm for a show which takes so much effort and for the most part you have so little feedback.

You manage to get enough feedback to put 'so little' rather than 'no'. Well done.