Mock The Week - 2007 & 2008 Page 23

No *crap* women.
They do choose some shit ones.

They've had a few funny ones though, Sue Perkins was great.

I've just watched this back. Greg wasn't great was he.

Anyway, being the sado I am, I decided to keep a 'joke success tally' as I was watching. Basically, each time a performer said something funny enough to get a round of applause from the audience I put a tick against their name.

Before I started I had a feeling I knew what the result would be... but it turned out to be even more obvious than I'd predicted:

Frankie: IIIIIIIIIIII
Hugh: IIIII
Andy: IIIII
Russell: IIII
Greg: III
Fred: I
Dara: I

Hahahaha!!

You big geek. Love it.

Did you count the one Frankie got just for walking to the mic after he got children as a subject?

Quote: Mark @ August 29 2008, 7:10 PM BST

Greg wasn't great was he.

One of my comedy heroes, but he just did not seem to be trying.

Maybe he'd not seen it before, and just wasn't quite prepared. I dunno.

I think it partially goes back to the issue of the established ensemble. Mock the Week is like a weekly dosage- most tune in and know all the regulars and how they'll play off. You know Frankie will steal the show, that Russel will try and impress him, that Hugh will mostly be quiet, that Andy will get in the occassional well timed remark and that Dara will jump in when one of the panelists grabs his interest or slips up. I think for the two guests coming into that must be quite daunting, especially when the audience is playing favourites too.

Quote: zooo @ August 30 2008, 1:11 AM BST

But the final round on Mock The Week is a straight steal from Whose Line Is It Anyway, on which he was always excellent.

Maybe improv is a young man's game...

Quote: zooo @ August 30 2008, 1:11 AM BST

He was in series two.

If you're not a regular on MTW then in the final round I think it's hard enough just to get to the mic!

Quote: Greg @ August 30 2008, 11:56 AM BST

If you're not a regular on MTW then in the final round I think it's hard enough just to get to the mic!

....Greg?

:D

Yes I must apologise for my poor showing on last week's show.

Somebody told me the show was called 'Mock the Week Commencing Sep 12 2001'.

That's my excuse.

Quote: Mark @ August 29 2008, 7:10 PM BST

I've just watched this back. Greg wasn't great was he.

Anyway, being the sado I am, I decided to keep a 'joke success tally' as I was watching. Basically, each time a performer said something funny enough to get a round of applause from the audience I put a tick against their name.

Before I started I had a feeling I knew what the result would be... but it turned out to be even more obvious than I'd predicted:

Frankie: IIIIIIIIIIII
Hugh: IIIII
Andy: IIIII
Russell: IIII
Greg: III
Fred: I
Dara: I

Round of applause? Man, the audience applauds usually when a joke is not funny enough to elicit laughter! Look for the laughter not the applause.

Does Greg Proops live over here for a few months every year, or does he just come over to do stand up?

Quote: Sal Paradise @ August 31 2008, 2:15 AM BST

Round of applause? Man, the audience applauds usually when a joke is not funny enough to elicit laughter! Look for the laughter not the applause.

What about then they get a big laugh and then a round of applause.

(It's true though, when I go to see something funny, I never clap naturally, just laugh. But some people are different.)

Quote: Gelgoog @ August 30 2008, 1:21 AM BST

I think for the two guests coming into that must be quite daunting, especially when the audience is playing favourites too.

It's a good point. A good illustration of this is Frankie: he is really at home in Mock the Week and it shows, but when he made a guest appearance on HIGNFY earlier in the year he was clearly nervous (sweating a lot) and didn't really contribute much.

Of course a lot of it is also down to the editor - they get to choose which jokes to show, but I still stand-by the observation that Greg Proops wasn't up-to-scratch. He doesn't have the excuse of naievity either - he has appeared on the show before.

Quote: Sal Paradise @ August 31 2008, 2:15 AM BST

I just counted the 'appreciation claps', not the 'space filler' claps. i.e. where the audience laughed and then clapped - causing a pause in proceedings as the next comic waited for them to finish before telling their joke. I thought this was the best way of marking a quality gag, as everything said on the show elicits laughter (obviously - as laugh-free material is cut).

If you're as sad as me Sal, and fancy coming up with your own tally I'd be interested to see the results because, lets face it, my method is far from scientific.