American Rubbish!?! Page 6

Skibbington von Skubber what are you talking about, the The Mary Tyler Moore Show was the biggest pile of shite i've ever seen Barny Miller had it's moments and Bob Newhart was better on the radio, it sounds like you've checked out every american show on the IMDB. next you'll be saying Laverne & Shirley and Rhoda were ground breaking comedies.

Quote: Martin Holmes @ July 11, 2007, 10:41 PM

I'd like to know actually if you've even bothered to watch any of the smart, well written and hilarious US sitcoms like Arrested Development, Seinfeld or Curb Your Enthusiasm?

I'm afraid not really. I've tried giving them a go - maybe not long enough - but they didn't really do anything for me.

Freinds of mine love Frazier and I've watched that a couple of times without really laughing - but I do love Cheers!

Maybe they're too sophisticated for me!

I liked Joey. Much better than the majority of British sitcoms in the past ten years.

Curb Your Enthusiasm is a strange show, quite like a woody allen film, i think a lot of it is ad-lib great concept if the acting is good Larry David is a lot like Woody Allen, self Self-depreciation, it does work and gets the laughs.

I love self-deprecation.

Quote: SlagA @ July 12, 2007, 9:24 PM

I love self-deprecation.

you'll go blind

Quote: Columbo @ July 12, 2007, 8:51 PM

And Martin Holmes (or is it Barrett Holmes - The Russ Abbott show there) as for Rising damp not being satirical, erm have you watched it properly? There is loads of satiral undercurrents! And what about shows such as 'mind your language'? You're certainly no Sherlock Holmes!

Okay but then I could say the same thing to you, saying that "young people don't understand satire" when Larry Sanders and Seinfeld are some of the greatest satire every created.

Quote: Stuart Laws @ July 12, 2007, 9:19 PM

I liked Joey. Much better than the majority of British sitcoms in the past ten years.

Is that some sort of sick joke? :D

Quote: Lt Colonel Henry Blake @ July 12, 2007, 9:09 PM

Skibbington von Skubber what are you talking about, the The Mary Tyler Moore Show was the biggest pile of shite i've ever seen Barny Miller had it's moments and Bob Newhart was better on the radio, it sounds like you've checked out every american show on the IMDB. next you'll be saying Laverne & Shirley and Rhoda were ground breaking comedies.

You post under another name. You're using this Lt Blake as a cover to be a troll.

You did not watch the Mary Tyler Moore show more than once or twice (if at all), for had you watched a few episodes of the same season you would have fallen in love with Ted Baxter and Lou Grant. The writing was excellent as was the acting and comic timing. The show didn't win loads of Emmys for nothing.

And how many episodes of Barney Miller have you ever seen? None.

And Bob Newhart tv sitcoms? Again, none.

IMDB? No. I watched those shows as and when they came out.

Stay down, be'atch.

Really honestly enjoyed Joey.

How many episodes did everyone watch?

Quote: Stuart Laws @ July 12, 2007, 11:06 PM

Really honestly enjoyed Joey.

*speechless* :O

Joey was quite a solid show for a few episodes, funnier the last series of Friends. But a directionless second season - and the fact they brought in nothing characters for no reason meant it was major disappointment.

Joey wasn't quite the car-crash that many people are lead to believe.

It had many funny lines, and Drea Di Matteo was frighteningly sexy.

Quote: Columbo @ July 12, 2007, 8:51 PM

Leevil 'rose tinted glasses', no and I'll tell you why! I still watch the shows today, and still find them funny 30 years on, as do MILLIONS of other people! But if you think that Friends is good then maybe you need glasses!

I was referring 60's/70's in general, as much good as there was, there was also crap. Same as today.

I haven't seen Season Two but agree with Seefacts.

Although Drea came across as more scary to me. I prefer women who don't stand up for themselves.

Quote: Stuart Laws @ July 12, 2007, 11:16 PM

I haven't seen Season Two but agree with Seefacts.

Although Drea came across as more scary to me. I prefer women who don't stand up for themselves.

You'd prefer one like Rebecca Front in Nighty Night?

Quote: Seefacts @ July 12, 2007, 11:14 PM

... and Drea Di Matteo was frighteningly sexy.

According to Mr. Google, she's done a bit of lezzing up. The dirty bisexualist!