American Rubbish!?! Page 5

The messages aren't for you, they're for the people who want to hear them and a way for the writer to spout something disguised as a comedy.

I wasn't talking about yanky comedy, sorry I misread your comment, I thought you was talking about modern British comedy and defending the oldies.

Most clever/well written comedies poke fun at America itself, in the same self deprecating way do to ourselves personally.

I'm sure I've heard you say you like South Park? An American "sitcom" constantly takes the piss out of itself, everything it stands for and America. Some (not all) other American comedies do this, and those ones I'd think you'd enjoy.

Quote: Leevil @ July 11, 2007, 9:26 PM

Sitcoms need to move with the times, a lot of them from the 70's were about old fashioned men(mostly) dealing with the modern world of liberated woman, black people :P, ect. Now we're in these "modern times" we're going through another transition and your generation has now become that old fashioned man.

Well that's a sweeping generalisation and a half!

Either way, I think the basic answer to that is, I was born about 25 years too late.

Quote: Aaron @ July 11, 2007, 10:00 PM

Well that's a sweeping generalisation and a half!

Either way, I think the basic answer to that is, I was born about 25 years too late.

Or right on time. You can watch them all on DVD!

Haha, well yes, I suppose that there is that to it!

Although not all. Just quite a few of the better ones.

Quote: David Chapman @ July 11, 2007, 9:34 PM

Do any of these American series deal with these aspects?

Not that I care because

A) I'm prejudiced against American "comedies" (see I admit it)
and B) I don't want "messages" in Comedy. I want to laugh.

So by admitting your prejudice against American comedies surely that invalidates your opinion on the matter because you aren't even giving them a chance. I'd like to know actually if you've even bothered to watch any of the smart, well written and hilarious US sitcoms like Arrested Development, Seinfeld or Curb Your Enthusiasm?

Quote: Leevil @ July 11, 2007, 8:50 PM

Rose-tinted Glasses?

Leevil I think you meant Beer Goggles. Only Kidding Mr Chapman. :P

Columbo, as Slag said, my comments were aimed at everyone including myself, apologies if you thought otherwise. All I know about American Comedy is that, like the Americans in World War 2, they always arrive here three years late.

Quote: ajp29 @ July 11, 2007, 11:29 PM

Leevil I think you meant Beer Goggles. Only Kidding Mr Chapman. :P

Columbo, as Slag said, my comments were aimed at everyone including myself, apologies if you thought otherwise. All I know about American Comedy is that, like the Americans in World War 2, they always arrive here three years late.

And World War 1. However if they start one they expect us to jump.

Laughing out loud

Quote: David Chapman @ July 11, 2007, 11:37 PM

And World War 1. However if they start one they expect us to jump.

Depressingly true.

Is'nt Obvious, deep down all Americans want and long to British., including their comedies, they realise that the English sitcom is far superior and they try to emulate it, granted they do produce the odd quality show, MASH was a Phenomenon, cult classics like Married with children, Happy Days and Sledge Hammer were well worth a watch. The American is just an English man waiting to get out, we know it they know it but like anything they do they find it hard to admit defeat.
they can't come close to Rising Damp, Dads Army, Bless this House, Porridge, Likely Lads, Love thy Neighbour, Black Adder and what about the Carry on films.

You was going alright until you mentioned the Carry On films, come on.

If it's lists you want the US has just as many classic sitcoms, Cheers, Seinfeld, Fraiser, MASH, Roseanne and what about all the Marx Brothers and Laurel & Hardy films etc. Not saying I'm a fan of all of them but they are all classics that have influenced many other comedians and writers from both the US and the UK.

Quote: Lt Colonel Henry Blake @ July 12, 2007, 10:56 AM

Is'nt Obvious, deep down all Americans want and long to British., including their comedies, they realise that the English sitcom is far superior and they try to emulate it, granted they do produce the odd quality show, MASH was a Phenomenon, cult classics like Married with children, Happy Days and Sledge Hammer were well worth a watch. The American is just an English man waiting to get out, we know it they know it but like anything they do they find it hard to admit defeat.
they can't come close to Rising Damp, Dads Army, Bless this House, Porridge, Likely Lads, Love thy Neighbour, Black Adder and what about the Carry on films.

You write posts under a different name.

Sledge Hammer was a crap show. So was Happy Days (a teeny-bopper's show, really). Married with Children was absolute rubbish.

MASH had its moments but went on for far too many seasons.

Some of the best American comedies are virtually unknown over here in Britain:
The Bob Newhart Show
Newhart
The Mary Tyler Moore Show
Barney Miller
The Dick van Dyke Show
Green Acres (the critics hated it, but it has aged well)
Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman
WKRP in Cincinnati
NewsRadio

Including sitcoms based on British sitcoms:
All in the Family
Sanford & Son
Three's Company

Mind you, all those in both lists had their fair share of weak shows or weak seasons, but when they were kicking ass, they were on par with the best British sitcoms (Fawlty, Rise & Fall, The Good Life, Black Adder, Ideal, Alan Partridge).

It's difficult to spell out the difference between the best American sitcoms and the best British ones...Somehow the British characters have more depth...They are more believable than the Yank characters (with the exception of the latter day CYE, Seinfeld, and Sanders)...There is more humanity about the Brits than the Yanks...A deeper, more firmly rooted sense of humour (and history)...They can take the piss out of themselves...Americans are too busy being on guard, looking to be offended or insulted...They like to laugh---but not at themselves.

Of course I'm over-generalizing...but the gist of truth is within it.

Britain is an extraordinarily beautiful country to both the eye and heart. The people are friendlier and more humourous and more easy-going than most Americans. There's a sense of enlightenment and appreciation for dignity and civility in England which is palpably absent in America.

America and Americans are very hung up on appearances---hence the customer service rule about saying "Have a nice day" and yet not directing the employees to say it like they f**ken mean it. To say it at all is to follow the rule; to mean it is irrelevant.

Americans themselves are not necessarily bad; but their culture is centered around ambition and greed; they are encouraged by their media to actively participate in the Keep Up With The Neighbours syndrome. They are a consumer-driven society which means spend, spend, spend. And that means work, work, work. And that means stress, stress, stress. And that means neglecting the family; driving like a maniac; road rage; conspiring against others so you may rise up the corporate ladder; paranoia about others conspiring against you, and so forth. It's not pretty and it's not fun. Most of those big American houses and cars are owned on credit with huge monthly mortgages. Behind all the bigness lies great instability and anxiety---hence the booming pharmaceutical market and mental health system.

Ah hell, nevermind. It's a useless rant. I'm just so goddamned glad to live in England that I can't help but throw a few jabs at Uncle Sam as a silly means of publicly celebrating my gladness.

Britain rocks!

Skibbinton how come you've never been a writers agent... you seem to know loads and always give advice... have i set the ball in motion or not... agent Skibbington... kinda got a ring to it.

I've been to America three times to 4 different states and all the people I met were very friendly, there certainly wasn't any chav type characters looming around the place. But like with any country and place they are good and bad people, but just want to say the Americans I've met have all been very friendly people.

Another thing Seinfeld is a very British feeling show so it surprises me when UK comedy fans don't like it, it's definitely got the British feel of a 'losers' sitcom, rather than a bunch of good-looking middle class materialistic types like in Friends.

I think that M.A.S.H lasted longer than the Korean War itself!

I agree with Blake, Happy days (the earlier series was extremely good), as was Cheers; King of Queens is also very funny (although as stated by many people on the thread it takes time - I used to turn it off when C4 showed it in the mornings)! Sledge Hammer was good back in the 80's but has aged terribly!

Leevil 'rose tinted glasses', no and I'll tell you why! I still watch the shows today, and still find them funny 30 years on, as do MILLIONS of other people! But if you think that Friends is good then maybe you need glasses!

And Martin Holmes (or is it Barrett Holmes - The Russ Abbott show there) as for Rising damp not being satirical, erm have you watched it properly? There is loads of satiral undercurrents! And what about shows such as 'mind your language'? You're certainly no Sherlock Holmes!