American Rubbish!?! Page 7

Yes, Rebecca Front, she's my girl!

Joey: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CynOiXXjTFs

Quote: Stuart Laws @ July 12, 2007, 11:06 PM

Really honestly enjoyed Joey.

How many episodes did everyone watch?

I watched most of Season One when it was on Channel 5 and it was very poor, the characters had no depth to them and it seemed like the writers didn't know what direction they were heading.

Enough to keep you watching most of season one though :P

Skibbington von Skubber, i did see many Episodes of Barney Miller, it was back in the late 70s, it was aired in the UK, I never seen many Bob Newhart shows but I did hear many of his audio recordings, and who are you to say what I have and haven’t seen, TOOL, Are you one of those Care in the community cases where the local authority see what progress mentally ill people can make when left alone, Bless someone should go round and increase your medication.

Quote: Leevil @ July 13, 2007, 12:51 PM

Enough to keep you watching most of season one though :P

:D True, to be honest it did have its moments of laughter, and as much as I criticise comedies I do give them a fair chance because I know some people just watch one episode of something and then write it off, but I like to watch as much as I can before it drives me totally crazy so that I can make a fair opinion on it. :)

Isn't the only thing that matters laughter?

Laughter, which is what you don't get with American shows, who can really find shows like Will & Grace, Two and a Half Men, 8 Simple Rules, Dharma and Greg, that 70s Show, Becker, Ink, In-Laws, Stacked, the list is endless, one pile of shite after another, they are really pandering to the slow witted, People who watch things like X factor, Pop idol, that dancing shite they show on sat evenings on BBC 1 and ITV at the same time, and of course the holy of the holies Big Brother, people who watch these tend to like the same American drivel, brain dead morons who should be horse whipped daily and forced to what Michael Barrymore.

I'm interested to find out why you don't like Big Brother.

Is it because the lack of scripted entertainment and neatly packaged storylines causes too much cognitive strain? Having to juggle an expanse of storylines and relationships that are constantly evolving and open to your own interpretation?

Or because Russell Brand doesn't host Big Mouth anymore?

I think you should stop sitting on the fence lieutenant and speak your true feelings :P

Quote: Lt Colonel Henry Blake @ July 13, 2007, 1:37 PM

Laughter, which is what you don't get with American shows, who can really find shows like Will & Grace, Two and a Half Men, 8 Simple Rules, Dharma and Greg, that 70s Show, Becker, Ink, In-Laws, Stacked, the list is endless, one pile of shite after another, they are really pandering to the slow witted, People who watch things like X factor, Pop idol, that dancing shite they show on sat evenings on BBC 1 and ITV at the same time, and of course the holy of the holies Big Brother, people who watch these tend to like the same American drivel, brain dead morons who should be horse whipped daily and forced to what Michael Barrymore.

It's easy to list shite isn't it? I could do the same for British programmes...Hyperdrive, Bo Selecta, Two Pints of Lager & A Packet Of Crisps, Gavin & Stacey, Grownups, Annually Retentive, Benidorm, My Hero, My Family, Pulling, Roman's Empire, The Robinsons, this list is endless, one pile of shite after another. And that's not to mention all the shows like Blunder, The Friday Night Project, the endless amount of crappy panel shows...which really do pander to the so called 'slow witted' as you say.

You can make lists of bad and good stuff for both the US and the UK, I guess it's much easier to point out the shit stuff rather than talk about something positive right?

I agree I prefer the British 'classics' to the US 'classics' but that's mainly because I've seen more British classics than I have US. But I do agree that Britain probably did make the superior sitcoms back then. But the US has been doing comedy better than us since well into the 90's now. When it comes to 'modern classics' in the UK, I can only really think of The Office, Peep Show and maybe The Thick Of It that are worthy of that title.

Quote: Lt Colonel Henry Blake @ July 13, 2007, 12:52 PM

TOOL, Are you one of those Care in the community cases where the local authority see what progress mentally ill people can make when left alone, Bless someone should go round and increase your medication.

Hey! Hey! Come now, that's really not called for. I think both sides in this really need to calm down. The sweeping statements, and assumptions being read/presented as statements of fact, aren't helping anyone.

true the British shows you listed there are very poor and there's many more you could list, but weight for weight the UK produces the better stuff, and when you take into account the budget diffrence only high lights the class diffrence in writing and acting

Quote: Martin Holmes @ July 13, 2007, 2:21 PM

Annually Retentive,

Noooooooooo.
I like that one.
Do you really think it's as rubbish as all the others you listed?

Quote: Martin Holmes @ July 13, 2007, 2:21 PM

It's easy to list shite isn't it? I could do the same for British programmes...Hyperdrive, Bo Selecta, Two Pints of Lager & A Packet Of Crisps, Gavin & Stacey, Grownups, Annually Retentive, Benidorm, My Hero, My Family, Pulling, Roman's Empire, The Robinsons, this list is endless, one pile of shite after another. And that's not to mention all the shows like Blunder, The Friday Night Project, the endless amount of crappy panel shows...which really do pander to the so called 'slow witted' as you say.

You can make lists of bad and good stuff for both the US and the UK, I guess it's much easier to point out the shit stuff rather than talk about something positive right?

I agree I prefer the British 'classics' to the US 'classics' but that's mainly because I've seen more British classics than I have US. But I do agree that Britain probably did make the superior sitcoms back then. But the US has been doing comedy better than us since well into the 90's now. When it comes to 'modern classics' in the UK, I can only really think of The Office, Peep Show and maybe The Thick Of It that are worthy of that title.

Judging by your photo you certainly don't look anally rententive, just the opposite, or should that be 'opposhite'? As the insults being bandided about I don't mind, do your worst, but Holmes did start insulting people first on this thread, so should be prepared to accept returned insults! Actually two pints of lager isn't too bad (except the Munch and Gaz characters who do overact a bit and spoil it)!

And as for positives, didn't I start by listing positives? D'uh never mind care in the community, just learning to read would be a start! And as for horse whipped, just beaten with a cricket bat with nails in would be adequate! Didn't they once use the stocks for village idiots in the past? Bring them back I say!
This moron probably thought that 'Benson' was the best show ever, now naff off and watch the 'The Prince Fresh of BelAir'!

Ok lets slow this train down a little, valid arguements from both sides but this is getting personal which this topic clearly isn't about.

Let's agree to disagree both America and Britain can make both good and bad comedy in equal measure, if you can't agree on that then you're all going round in circles and this thread will be closed.