American Rubbish!?! Page 2

Quote: Leevil @ July 10, 2007, 5:58 PM

I'm not going to defend a tv channels decision to buy imports, but if they do, the ones that succeed,

Friends for example is about 'relationships in the 90's' every young, lets say single person could relate to that in some way, if they allowed themselves to, doesn't matter which country you're from the situations and decisions made by the characters are relatable, the characters a likeable, the humuor is witty and funny.

Whereas in the UK, from my perspective anyway, most of the mainstream comedies being produced were mainly about middle class family's or business and were using the same old tired format of 2.4 Children nuclear family. Friends broke that mold with something fresh and exciting to us young'uns.

I think now, we have a pretty even playing field with a mix of imports and homemade shows, so i don't know if there is anything to complain about?

LOL the wife is fine thanks (and Columbo is one import that is truly excellent), as for friends Leevil, did you ever see 'Man about the House'? Duno about Friends being ground breaking, a similar concept was used 25 years prior, admittedly not on the same scale! And are you saying that 'The Office' was not ground breaking, christ the Americans believed it was a real documentary (which was a first and produced a format that they were quick to copy)! Maybe the comedy comes down to satire, with 'young un's' in the UK unable to grasp its finer points

Quote: Columbo @ July 10, 2007, 6:06 PM

LOL the wife is fine thanks (and Columbo is one import that is truly excellent), as for friends Leevil, did you ever see 'Man about the House'? Duno about Friends being ground breaking, a similar concept was used 25 years prior, admittedly not on the same scale! And are you saying that 'The Office' was not ground breaking, christ the Americans believed it was a real documentary (which was a first and produced a format that they were quick to copy)! Maybe the comedy comes down to satire, with 'young un's' in the UK unable to grasp its finer points

Not to sound like Martin Holmes, a dear friend and fellow forum member. But The Larry Sanders show came before The Office.

Haha you will end up sounding like me because people are ignorant and have a very small-minded attitude to comedy so you have to tell them straight.

It's alright having your opinions Columbo but you say The Office is groundbreaking, Ricky Gervais would be first to say that he was heavily influenced by The Larry Sanders Show and Seinfeld both amazing American comedies. Do you think The Office was the first documentary comedy? Victoria Wood was doing them ages ago. Another great British Comedy 'People Like Us' did them far better than The Office.

Plus the US version of The Office is better than the UK version.

If my library had Friends videos, I'd complain.

It's the most awful programme on Earth - watched over here by British American-wannabes who like to feel hip and modern. That's why coffee bars are popular over here. We're supposed to be a nation that likes tea!

And this is strictly my opinion.

Quote: Columbo @ July 10, 2007, 5:34 PM

The link between is the two is extremely tenuous to say the least! The difference in years, not to mention the other VAST disparities between the two comedies (too numerous to mention here)! Slapstick is used in many comedies, including King of Queens, therefore using your argument, any comedy using a slapstick approach or element must have been influenced by Laural and Hardy! Even older comedy such as Keystone Cops contained slapstick (maybe due to a lack of sound, therefore no dialogue)!

Also Seefacts; as for Bless this House, this had 65 episodes (and most were funny and the ideas fresh despite the limited resources available)! Maybe UK audiences don't want a another Seinfeld or Friends and are content to watch American imports! God knows I would rather watch the office than either of these shows!

My initial question was, how can UK audiences prefer US comedy to UK comedy (maybe I'm getting old and nostalgic)

The reason is simple. From the UK's view - 99% of US comedy is brilliant and hilarious, because we only get the stuff that does well. List all the US imports over the last decade, loads of glorious stuff that's been on our peak time.

But for every Friends there's a Jesse, and for every Seinfeld there's a Brother's Keeper. For every Seinfeld there's a Coach.

When it comes to UK comedy, we see it all. The hilarious, the surreal, the dark, the shite, the dull. Everything. So we look hit and miss, compared to the hand-picked US stuff.

US audience think the UK is best because they've only seen the classics from years ago - OFAH, Fawlty, Dwarf - and the recent sucesses - The Office etc. They don't see The Fitz, My Family, Two Pints.

There's tons of rubbish on US telly we don't see, but UK audiences don't take that on board. They think all they do is churn out Simpsons, Scrubs, Curb etc. They've got Seinfelds and Frasiers coming out of their ears - when, in reality, they don't. Quite the opposite.

Yeah true, the US and UK both have their comedy gems and then lots of shite. It's just at the moment in the UK there is tons of shite, at least the US seem still have some decent sitcoms, The Office US, New Adventures Of Old Christine, It's Always Sunny In Philidelphia, Reno 911!, Curb Your Enthusiasm.

We have Peep Show, The Thick Of It and I think that's about it when it comes to decent British sitcoms at the minute.

Also America is bigger so therefore has more writers to choose from. They get paid more, and are more valued too.

I'd be interested to know if the US has a different way of bringing in new writers. I know the Simpsons have brought in inexperienced writers to work on the show in the past. I doubt My Family or My Hero would ever move away from the likes of Paul Alexander and Ian Hendrie (names synonymous with mediocrity) They've got shows like SNL to blood in new writers too, which must help.

I would love the BBC to sit down, start afresh and say 'Okay, let's do a 10 episodes series [I doubt they'd ever do a whole 24] lets bring in new writers and lets have a show with proper characters'. I truly believe the UK has the talent to make a show as good as Seinfeld. Easily. Not Going Out would be ideal. Lee Mack proved he can carry a show.

My Family is our US show. The characters are bloody awful. Ben Harper. Even his name is rubbish. That other Fred Barron show with Nicolas Lyndhurst. Some of the writers got their break 25 years ago on BBC sketch shows in a time where it was easier to get on the telly, but hasn't done anything other than the odd sketch on the odd show since then. Why are these people being given jobs on BBC sitcoms? Why are people who wrote for Hale & Pace in 1992 still allowed to work on new sitcoms? Pick a new sitcom in the Us and check the writers. It's a mix of PROVEN talent from shows like the Simpsons / Will & Grace, new writers who've done very little, or writers who start on smaller shows a few years ago. No journeyman who got a break when the Conservatives were in power.

For the BBC to match the US in mainstream, likeable, long-running shows they need to start again without Fred 'I NEVER EVER wrote for Seinfeld despite people telling us that' Barron and get a mix of writers right. If you wrote for the S Club 7 show, or Mr. Charity or Birds of a Feather - don't give them a job.

Quote: Seefacts @ July 10, 2007, 8:39 PM

I'd be interested to know if the US has a different way of bringing in new writers.

Yeah, they write spec scripts for shows which are already in existence. Over here the emphasis is on creating your own show.

Quote: ajp29 @ July 10, 2007, 8:53 PM

Yeah, they write spec scripts for shows which are already in existence. Over here the emphasis is on creating your own show.

Down to the fact we don't have a good team written show that runs into double figures for episodes.

Given the BBC are crying out for a mainstream hit - you think they'd address this. Until they do, we'll fall behind.

Quote: Martin Holmes @ July 10, 2007, 6:41 PM

Haha you will end up sounding like me because people are ignorant and have a very small-minded attitude to comedy so you have to tell them straight.

Oiiiiiiii! I like what makes me laugh. That dont make me ignorant. Naughty boy.

Both America & Britain have diamonds on the comedy front.

Quote: Martin Holmes @ July 10, 2007, 6:41 PM

It's alright having your opinions Columbo but you say The Office is groundbreaking, Ricky Gervais would be first to say that he was heavily influenced by The Larry Sanders Show and Seinfeld both amazing American comedies. Do you think The Office was the first documentary comedy? Victoria Wood was doing them ages ago. Another great British Comedy 'People Like Us' did them far better than The Office.

Plus the US version of The Office is better than the UK version.

LOL hang on! Do you know what paradox means? I guess not as you watch to much American comedy, try reading for a change, or watch the documentary channels! How can you say people are ignorant, then claim you have to tell them what to think! Erm, explain please lol!

As for 'The Office' are you telling me Victoria Wood's comedy and Larry Sanders comedy are as well written, funny, scripted, cast, acted and believable? NOT EVEN THE AMERICAN CRITICS RECKON THAT THE US VERSION OF THE OFFICE IS BETTER THAN THE UK!!!! Oh and didn't they want Gervais to start in that version too? You're in a minority, so maybe you should listen more instead of pretending you know what you're talking about *yawn*! I think it's pretty fair to assume that you will watch and love any American comedy rubbish they put on Sky television packages to fill up scheduling! Your arguments are about as weak as an American comedy!

Oh Seefacts, how can you make a sweeping claim that 99% of the UK television audience reckon that US comedy is funny, where are your facts, as I'd be interested in seeing them! And 'My Family' was given poor reviews by the critics in the UK (after the first episode)! Other than that I agree with you, people should be given an opportunity to write, but without a university education they are going to find it tough! Especially where the BBC are concerned!

Quote: Columbo @ July 10, 2007, 9:58 PM

LOL hang on! Do you know what paradox means? I guess not as you watch to much American comedy, try reading for a change, or watch the documentary channels! How can you say people are ignorant, then claim you have to tell them what to think! Erm, explain please lol!

As for 'The Office' are you telling me Victoria Wood's comedy and Larry Sanders comedy are as well written, funny, scripted, cast, acted and believable? NOT EVEN THE AMERICAN CRITICS RECKON THAT THE US VERSION OF THE OFFICE IS BETTER THAN THE UK!!!! Oh and didn't they want Gervais to start in that version too? You're in a minority, so maybe you should listen more instead of pretending you know what you're talking about *yawn*! I think it's pretty fair to assume that you will watch and love any American comedy rubbish they put on Sky television packages to fill up scheduling! Your arguments are about as weak as an American comedy!

Oh Seefacts, how can you make a sweeping claim that 99% of the UK television audience reckon that US comedy is funny, where are your facts, as I'd be interested in seeing them! And 'My Family' was given poor reviews by the critics in the UK (after the first episode)! Other than that I agree with you, people should be given an opportunity to write, but without a university education they are going to find it tough! Especially where the BBC are concerned!

Without patronising people who won't actually be reading - I mean most people who aren't comedy fans per se. We're all comedy fans on here who know their stuff, and can be objective. But your average Digital Spy forum member who doesn't know his or her stuff will probably say that US stuff is better due to the reasons I stated earlier.

What's so bad about American comedy? Why is it so different then British?

You are missing out on some great jokes, characters and situations because your refusal to watch something because they speak with an accent?

It's not rubbish, you just don't like it.

You're being ignorant to American writers and actors. It's so small minded that it must've feel out of your ear.

Quote: Leevil @ July 10, 2007, 10:15 PM

What's so bad about American comedy? Why is it so different then British?

You are missing out on some great jokes, characters and situations because your refusal to watch something because they speak with an accent?

It's not rubbish, you just don't like it.

You're being ignorant to American writers and actors. It's so small minded that it must've feel out of your ear.

Yeah, it a silly attitude, you're missing out.

Sit down and watch Frasier. It's a masterpiece of farce and intelligence. (Quite English too in that's it not too pacey and zippy)

Quote: Seefacts @ July 10, 2007, 10:18 PM

Yeah, it a silly attitude, you're missing out.

Sit down and watch Frasier. It's a masterpiece of farce and intelligence. (Quite English too in that's it not too pacey and zippy)

There's no 'whooping' from the audience either, if that's what puts you off. I know it puts me off sometimes.

Frasier is literally a masterpiece. It's easily up there with all the great art works of cultured man, it just comes in the tacky televisual form, that is television. :P