Mrs. Brown's Boys - Series 2 Page 7

The 80s were interesting indeed. On one side the whole alternative comedy thing "Let's kick Thatcher's arse" and OFAH on the other side "That's how we ordinary people live under Thatcher's reign and still keep our dignity". Was there also a sillier, lighter to side to comedy in the 80s?

*whispers*(We have to mention MBB every now and then otherwise Aaron greys our posts out)
;)

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ October 1 2012, 2:55 PM BST

The 80s were interesting indeed. On one side the whole alternative comedy thing "Let's kick Thatcher's arse" and OFAH on the other side "That's how we ordinary people live under Thatcher's reign and still keep our dignity". Was there also a sillier, lighter to side to comedy in the 80s?

Oh yea mainstream TV was chock a block with it. Terry And June was at its hight, the BBC were commissioning shit at a rate of knots. Meet the husband etc ITV had Me & My Girl and a load of twaddle that was just about unwatchable. The mainstream always works independently from comedy itself. It gives the people what they want in easy to swallow tablets. They do tend to serve up more comedy in the bad times obviously.

Terry And June is good. Stop being mean to it. :(

Quote: zooo @ October 1 2012, 3:07 PM BST

Terry And June is good. Stop being mean to it. :(

Good as in....Good riddance

Good as in FUNNY. Even 40 years later, which is quite impressive. :)

...and every (so-called) innovative movement has its countermovement, so it seems. So, the more traditional settings of Miranda and MBB (and I'm not talking about quality now) is the logical result of years of Office, Ideal etc.? Years without laugh track but with continual plotlines...and darker themes.

Quote: zooo @ October 1 2012, 3:11 PM BST

Good as in FUNNY. Even 40 years later, which is quite impressive. :)

But it wasn't funny forty years ago. Mind you I did meet Terry Scott, not a pleasant man. :P

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ October 1 2012, 3:11 PM BST

...and every (so-called) innovative movement has its countermovement, so it seems. So, the more tradiotinal settings of Miranda and MBB (and I'm not talking about quality now) is the logical result of years of Office, Ideal etc.? Years without laugh track but with continual plotlines...and darker themes.

Yes I think so. But of course it's only a theory, time will tell...

Quote: Pingl @ October 1 2012, 3:14 PM BST

But it wasn't funny forty years ago.

Ah, that's why it ran for 9 series and had millions of viewers. Cos it WASN'T funny. ;)

P.S. I probably should have said 30, since it didn't exist 40 years ago. Oops.

Quote: zooo @ October 1 2012, 3:22 PM BST

Ah, that's why it ran for 9 series and had millions of viewers. Cos it WASN'T funny. ;)

P.S. I probably should have said 30, since it didn't exist 40 years ago. Oops.

Things don't have to be funny to last, Last Of The Summer Wine anyone? :D

P.S. It feels forty years ago.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ October 1 2012, 2:26 AM BST

It's faked, Aaron!

As I said, I really don't care.

I have two Bottom Live DVDs, the second one and Holligan's Island. Some of their "cock ups" always seemed fake to me, if anyone cares.

Not that I think they never make any real mistakes but I think they strategically place some fake cock ups because the audience likes them. Just the thought of it annoys me a bit because I'm an authenticity-Nazi.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ October 1 2012, 4:35 PM BST

I have two Bottom Live DVDs, the second one and Holligan's Island. Some of their "cock ups" always seemed fake to me, if anyone cares.

Not that I think they never make any real mistakes but I think they strategically place some fake cock ups because the audience likes them. Just the thought of it annoys me a bit because I'm an authenticity-Nazi.

Dennis Norden built a late career on such faked cock ups.

Quote: Pingl @ October 1 2012, 4:38 PM BST

Dennis Norden built a late career on such faked cock ups.

Did he? I mean, I also like bloopers/fluff or whatever tey're called. I regularly watch these outtakes as DVD bonus features. But if I get the feeling that some of these are fake I immediately lose interest. Some animated film...Antz maybe, or Bug's Life spoofed these outtakes in the closing sequence. I didn't even enjoy this, although it was a spoof. But this shows that people love these so that clever people (maybe Brandon O'Carroll?) would even fake them to get the audience's sympathy. That really pisses me off!!! (Now I'm excited again...Aaron, what have you done ;) )

At least the outtakes on Office and Extras DVDs seemed genuine, I really enjoyed them. But even if they weren't at least they do not litter the end product i.e. the episode itself.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ October 1 2012, 4:44 PM BST

Did he? I mean, I also like bloopers/fluff or whatever tey're called. I regularly watch these outtakes as DVD bonus features. But if I get the feeling that some of these are fake I immediately lose interest. Some animated film...Antz maybe, or Bug's Life spoofed these outtakes in the closing sequence. I didn't even enjoy this, although it was a spoof. But this shows that people love these so that clever people (maybe Brandon O'Carroll?) would even fake them to get the audience's sympathy. That really pisses me off!!! (Now I'm excited again...Aaron, what have you done ;) )

I think these outakes started out as genuine, but as time went on I got the uneasy feeling that some of them were set ups to get on the goggle box

Quote: Pingl @ October 1 2012, 4:46 PM BST

I think these outakes started out as genuine, but as time went on I got the uneasy feeling that some of them were set ups to get on the goggle box

In the last Bottom episode Richie & Ediie want to produce their own candid camera clips.