Mrs. Brown's Boys - Series 2 Page 4

What is the goal of not cutting out the corpsing (if it's genuine at all)? To make it feel more organic/natural?

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ September 22 2012, 1:21 PM BST

What is the goal of not cutting out the corpsing (if it's genuine at all)? To make it feel more organic/natural?

People like seeing 'behind the scenes'.
It's a glimpse into a world into which they are not normally invited.
Morecamble & Wise - probably the best loved comics ever - were brilliant at this.

But then there's no big difference between the TV sitcom and the stage show. What's the point then...I know what's the point for this O'Carrol guy...getting a wider audience.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ September 22 2012, 1:56 PM BST

But then there's no big difference between the TV sitcom and the stage show. What's the point then...I know what's the point for this O'Carrol guy...getting a wider audience.

He has slogged for years to get where he is now. I think it will be the BBC that will give him the final push to stardom, which in my humble opinion he deserves.

Quote: Nigel Ball @ September 22 2012, 7:46 PM BST

He has slogged for years to get where he is now. I think it will be the BBC that will give him the final push to stardom, which in my humble opinion he deserves.

I didn't know him until I heard of this sitcom. Did he appear in other shows on TV? Didn't see him in a panel show yet. Maybe that will change.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ September 22 2012, 7:50 PM BST

I didn't know him until I heard of this sitcom. Did he appear in other shows on TV? Didn't see him in a panel show yet. Maybe that will change.

See our recent news report on Mrs. Brown's Boys for some history.

Quote: Aaron @ September 22 2012, 7:53 PM BST

See our recent news report on Mrs. Brown's Boys for some history.

I will.

I think this is a brilliant show!

I wasn't sure at first, but, its pretty fast paced and is quite a colourful show.

Still not keen on the 'outtakes' being kept in. Although I suppose some people like them, I think they should be kept as extras on the DVDs. (Even though they still make me laugh!)

Quote: Lee Henman @ September 20 2012, 12:03 AM BST

I think it's brilliant that the show's been so successful. Whatever you think of it, it's been a massive shot in the arm for British comedy

Not nitpicking but I think the show's Irish, very very Irish, that's really what it's about, being Irish. Nothing remotely British about it, except that it had to come to Britain to be successful, which really, tells you all you need to know about the Irish.

If you meant that its influence on British TV comedy could be great then, well yeah I think it'll reaffirm in broadcasters' minds what the vast majority of viewers want in sitcoms, but that evidence was already there in the success of Miranda, the staggering initial ratings of The Royal Bodyguard and not least, the continuing success of old sitcom favourites like Dad's Army and OFAH, and if you include DVD sales and nostalgia repeat channels then dozens of other old studio sitcoms.

I think I'm right in saying that even its most critically acclaimed new non studio peaktime sitcom, Rev, doesn't get the viewer ratings that a daytime repeat of OFAH gets. So we always knew, if the BBC didn't, that the mainstream studio sitcom was what people want. They've just decided to brazenly neglect it in the face of blaring continuing evidence that it's the most popular thing they have.

Their new wave of young and trendy executives have been a pitiful disgrace, not knowing their audience, their history, and chasing a new trend in sitcomedy that had them alienating the majority of their core audience even long after the ratings for most non studio sitcoms had dwindled to a new low - The BBC in their wisdom happily created the regular peaktime sub one million viewer sitcom! :O Well done the BBC!

Er yes, back to Mrs Brown's Boys, yes it can be very funny, top marks for that, is the humour new and original? Doesn't sound like it to me generally, possibly new reworkings of old jokes, is it well scripted? Well, aside from the iffy originality of the humour I think it is, the few I've seen anyway. Is it crude? Yes. Is it dodgy in its use of supposed stage miscues or mistakes to get laughs? Yes, its worst fault by miles. It's impossible to genuinely make that many mistakes on stage and still know your cues and lines really well. Any theatre goer will tell you this doesn't look genuine. It's like they're rehearsing to act badly.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ September 29 2012, 7:29 AM BST

Not nitpicking but I think the show's Irish, very very Irish, that's really what it's about, being Irish. Nothing remotely British about it, except that it had to come to Britain to be successful, which really, tells you all you need to know about the Irish.

If you meant that its influence on British TV comedy could be great then, well yeah I think it'll reaffirm in broadcasters' minds what the vast majority of viewers want in sitcoms, but that evidence was already there in the success of Miranda, the staggering initial ratings of The Royal Bodyguard and not least, the continuing success of old sitcom favourites like Dad's Army and OFAH, and if you include DVD sales and nostalgia repeat channels then dozens of other old studio sitcoms.

I think I'm right in saying that even its most critically acclaimed new non studio peaktime sitcom, Rev, doesn't get the viewer ratings that a daytime repeat of OFAH gets. So we always knew, if the BBC didn't, that the mainstream studio sitcom was what people want. They've just decided to brazenly neglect it in the face of blaring continuing evidence that it's the most popular thing they have.

Their new wave of young and trendy executives have been a pitiful disgrace, not knowing their audience, their history, and chasing a new trend in sitcomedy that had them alienating the majority of their core audience even long after the ratings for most non studio sitcoms had dwindled to a new low - The BBC in their wisdom happily created the regular peaktime sub one million viewer sitcom! :O Well done the BBC!

Good analysis!

I love the corpsing and seeing the cameraman, hilarious and different from other sitcoms. It's the best sitcom on for years IMO.

It's the basic stage show , he sells out as Mrs Brown in Liverpool all the time.
They just do on film what they do on stage.

I actually did enjoy the Christmas special on yesterday. Maybe I shall give it more of a chance.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ September 29 2012, 7:29 AM BST

Kinda like the way British people come to the USA to be properly successful, which really, tells you all you need to know about Britain?

It's more like the way southerners come to Liverpool.