Census Page 2

Quote: bigfella @ March 8 2011, 5:46 AM GMT

How much is this thing ccosting us?

Anyone else think its a waste of time and cash?

Yes it's a waste.

Quote: bigfella @ March 8 2011, 5:46 AM GMT

How much is this thing ccosting us?

Anyone else think its a waste of time and cash?

Yeah, how could it possibly help the Government to know how many people live in this country, what ages they are, gender, etc, etc.

I mean who wants a Government that bases policies on statistical facts? Much better that they just guesstimate everything.

Quote: Tony Cowards @ March 8 2011, 9:50 AM GMT

Yeah, how could it possibly help the Government to know how many people live in this country, what ages they are, gender, etc, etc.

I mean who wants a Government that bases policies on statistical facts? Much better that they just guesstimate everything.

Yes, because they do such a great job with their policies as it is.

Isn't that what Mp's are meant to do? represent the people from their area?

Hmmm. I live everyone else have a National Insurance number. Trust me that tells them all the above information.

Of course it doesn't tell them about illegals - but I doubt they will be filling said return.

Do people under 16 have an NIN?

Quote: Scatterbrained Floozy @ March 8 2011, 10:05 AM GMT

Do people under 16 have an NIN?

When I was 16 I had two Nine Inch Nails albums, Downward Spiral and Pretty Hate Machine.

They know their alive if that helps.

Interestingly when we registered the death of my step dad, my mum got a load of stuff from HRMC about what she had to do about three days later. Trust me they know all about us.

Quote: bigfella @ March 8 2011, 10:08 AM GMT

They know their alive if that helps.

Interestingly when we registered the death of my step dad, my mum got a load of stuff from HRMC about what she had to do about three days later. Trust me they know all about us.

Not sure they do. I know somebody who's parents are both dead and he uses their names to buy property,. The authorities don't seem to have a clue what he's up to.

With the caveat that I have no confidence in the competence of thos governing us, I largely agree with this.

Quote: bigfella @ March 8 2011, 10:04 AM GMT

Hmmm. I live everyone else have a National Insurance number. Trust me that tells them all the above information.

Of course it doesn't tell them about illegals - but I doubt they will be filling said return.

So your NIN tells the Government how many people live in your house? What religion you are? What qualifications you have? What your ethnicity is? If your residence has central heating? What languages you speak? Etc, etc?

I'm not saying that the census will lead to any progressive policies in itself, that depends on the Government in charge, but I'd much rather that the people in charge had the relevant information to hand rather than using generalizations and "common sense" which often are completely wrong.

Also, according to official figures, the census costs £482 Million, which seems like a lot of money (and, indeed, is, although compared to the many billions we've paid for two aircraft carriers which will be useless for the forseeable future, it's peanuts).

On the plus side it means employment for approximately 35,000 people, which works out at just over £13,000 per person.

Quote: Gavin @ March 8 2011, 9:53 AM GMT

Isn't that what Mp's are meant to do? represent the people from their area?

Yes and don't you think it'd help them to know exactly how many people they are representing?

To know whether the population of that area is aging or getting younger, so that they know whether money would be better spent on provision for the aged or on youth education?

Surely having the facts at your disposal is vital for good governance? Otherwise MP's would be influenced by the "squeaky wheels" who actually bother to attend their 'surgeries' or write them letters.

Quote: Tony Cowards @ March 8 2011, 10:54 AM GMT

So your NIN tells the Government how many people live in your house? What religion you are? What qualifications you have? What your ethnicity is? If your residence has central heating? What languages you speak? Etc, etc?

I'm not saying that the census will lead to any progressive policies in itself, that depends on the Government in charge, but I'd much rather that the people in charge had the relevant information to hand rather than using generalizations and "common sense" which often are completely wrong.

Also, according to official figures, the census costs £482 Million, which seems like a lot of money (and, indeed, is, although compared to the many billions we've paid for two aircraft carriers which will be useless for the forseeable future, it's peanuts).

On the plus side it means employment for approximately 35,000 people, which works out at just over £13,000 per person.

I'd rather have 35,000 extra junior nurses.

The electrol roll tells people how many people live in my house. Okay, you don't have to fill it in, but most people do.

You don't have to fill the reglion section in I understand. And you can call yourself a worshiper of James Cotter if you like.

The revelant exams boards have my qualifications, ask them to supply the info. - why would the government need it anyway?

The point is, most of this information IS available elsewhere and I'm sorry is the central heating question for real????

You'd rather have 35,000 extra junior nurses? And what figures are you basing that on?

Do we even need them (not saying we don't but unless we have national statistics what are we basing that on?)?

Oh, and yes, this information is probably available in a variety of different sources, but that's the whole point, it would be massively time consuming and even more expensive in the long term to have to collate all this information from different sources and Government departments.

Yes, the central heating question is for real, why is that so ludicrous? The Government has to work out people's energy requirements and things like the Winter Fuel Allowance, seems a sensible question to me, along with asking about loft insulation and other "Green" initiatives people might've taken.

Quote: bigfella @ March 8 2011, 11:03 AM GMT

The revelant exams boards have my qualifications, ask them to supply the info. - why would the government need it anyway?

You can't see that it might be helpful for Governments to know what qualifications people have? To be able to work out what sort of employment history people who've had higher education have compared to people who left school at 16? That sort of thing?

Quote: Tony Cowards @ March 8 2011, 11:11 AM GMT

You'd rather have 35,000 extra junior nurses? And what figures are you basing that on?

Do we even need them (not saying we don't but unless we have national statistics what are we basing that on?)?

Oh, and yes, this information is probably available in a variety of different sources, but that's the whole point, it would be massively time consuming and even more expensive in the long term to have to collate all this information from different sources and Government departments.

Yes, the central heating question is for real, why is that so ludicrous? The Government has to work out people's energy requirements and things like the Winter Fuel Allowance, seems a sensible question to me, along with asking about loft insulation and other "Green" initiatives people might've taken.

You can't see that it might be helpful for Governments to know what qualifications people have? To be able to work out what sort of employment history people who've had higher education have compared to people who left school at 16? That sort of thing?

Does your fiancee write for the Census, Tony?

But with the computer systems we have today how easy SHOULD it be to be able to collect any information another Government Department wants. But as you say it most likely isnt that easy.

I would rather have nurses than office works any day of the week to be fair. It was estimate on the figures. You would probaby get a few less out of the money - agreeded.

Domestic energy consumption is only 31% of the UK useage. You need to get everything else as well for it to be of proper use. I have to do national office of statistics forms for my business but I don't recall having to give them that info as well.

Anyway, I better go and do the bloody thing I guess and then I shall become enlighted.