Census Page 7

Quote: David Carmon @ March 13 2011, 2:04 AM GMT

Personally I like the census, I've found past ones useful to trace the family tree.

I wish more information could be included, such as the names of your parents (my dad does not appear on my birth certificate, has a different surname and lives with his new family, so nobody could ever link us)

I'm not sure how accurate it can be as alot of people won't bother with it, but I can see the need in it to plan things out, even if they have to use and approximate number.

This census will not be a great deal of use to genealogists in 100 years time.
(1) one one forename
(2) place of birth not specified (only by country)

People with common names like me will be impossible to backtrace.

I thought it was odd that they didn't ask for middle names.

Quote: zooo @ March 13 2011, 12:27 PM GMT

I thought it was odd that they didn't ask for middle names.

I've written mine in, but no room for my third forename just an initial.

In family tree tracing, the place of birth and the persons age (to give the approx date), is the main information needed to get an ancestors birth certificate, to go back one generation, by finding the parents names.

OK so this census has the exact birthdate, but pity anyone in a 100 years time trying to find which "John Smith" born on say 21/3/1991 is the right John Smith.

I like to think of the BCG as a living census that future historians will one day pour over to discover how "youngian" and "ITDavid" lived their lives.

Census was disappointingly short. I'd got all fired up for an afternoon of form-filling-in, but it only took 15 minutes >:(

Quote: Nat Wicks @ March 13 2011, 1:03 PM GMT

Census was disappointingly short. I'd got all fired up for an afternoon of form-filling-in, but it only took 15 minutes >:(

A friend of mine is taking a whole team of Bell Ringers to her family home in Scotland that weekend, I wonder if she has realised she may need to fill in eight people on the back page of the Census.

<later>

ooops, Not.

I don't think there is a Scottish census at this time.

Haha!

Mines done, great having kids who are under 15 as after just a few Qs it tells you to go to Q43, and then says you have no more questions..yay!
I groaned when I first say the big envelope but theres not much to it really

Quote: billwill @ March 13 2011, 1:10 PM GMT

A friend of mine is taking a whole team of Bell Ringers to her family home in Scotland that weekend, I wonder if she has realised she may need to fill in eight people on the back page of the Census.

<later>

ooops, Not.

I don't think there is a Scottish census at this time.

Shame on you Bill! Of course there is! (though our form still hasn't come through)

Quote: keewik @ March 13 2011, 5:27 PM GMT

Shame on you Bill! Of course there is! (though our form still hasn't come through)

Googles...
So there is!

I shall have to remind my friend to get all her friends details.

<later>
However looking at the Scottish Census page http://www.scotlandscensus.gov.uk/en/howto/questionshelp/index.html#listofquestions
It seems that it does not have the Visitors page(s).

:( Everyone is filling in their forms, I thought it had to be done on 27 mar?, as info can change daily, I will be on north sea ferry!

Quote: dellas @ March 13 2011, 9:30 PM GMT

:( Everyone is filling in their forms, I thought it had to be done on 27 mar?, as info can change daily, I will be on north sea ferry!

Well for most of us I expect we can predict where we will be & who will be in our houses on the 27th.

I've filled it in but might not dispatch it till 28th.

Quote: dellas @ March 13 2011, 9:30 PM GMT

You are so right. Meant to be done at exactly the right time. Who knows - you might decide to let some old jakey have your spare room a few minutes before the deadline.

Quote: keewik @ March 13 2011, 11:11 PM GMT

You are so right. Meant to be done at exactly the right time. Who knows - you might decide to let some old jakey have your spare room a few minutes before the deadline.

;) How did you know?, amazing

Now somebody tells me that's no longer the case - disgraceful! what shoddy standards. We still haven't got ours yet, but apparently it will be hand-delivered.