Census Page 6

Quote: roscoff @ March 9 2011, 2:10 PM GMT

the location of Tom Jones' libido.

That's not unusual

Quote: sootyj @ March 9 2011, 2:50 PM GMT

That's not unusual

Chapman Disease. Incurable and spreading.

Quote: DaButt @ March 9 2011, 2:41 PM GMT

The events you mentioned are exactly what a census measures: change in population.

Precisely. It is an historic snap shot of the country at a specific point in time. The point that I was suggesting is that as I don't live where I used to all that 'planning' for Riley Major's schooling is useless because it is now happening in a different part of the country. And Riley Minor has arrived in the past ten years. So how can the census have prepared the local council to make provisions? Did the 2001 census prepare the UK for the huge influx of EU workers a few years back? No, it didn't. Where I currently live the secondary schools were pushed beyond capacity to accommodate the children of the migrant workers. But will that show in 2011? No, because most of those migrant workers have now returned home and the schools are still full but at least the pupils have a chair to themselves.
What I'm not happy about is the rationale for the census. It doesn't help planning because it's historic. It's intrusive and its a waste of time and money.
It also claims that it will help in funding services for the future. Another four years of Dave and his cronies and there will be bugger all left to fund.

Roscoff have you got AIDS?

Quote: roscoff @ March 9 2011, 3:07 PM GMT

Chapman Disease. Incurable and spreading.

Only if you have sex with him you lemon party animal.

Quote: KLRiley @ March 9 2011, 3:22 PM GMT

It is an historic snap shot of the country at a specific point in time.
It doesn't help planning because it's historic. It's intrusive and its a waste of time and money.

Of course it's a snapshot of the country at a specific point in time. But how exactly does one measure change? A series of measurements over time, that's how, and that's exactly what the census does. Such data is crucial; if it weren't we wouldn't still be funding massively expensive censuses 200 years later in this age of budget cuts.

Quote: DaButt @ March 9 2011, 5:24 PM GMT

Of course it's a snapshot of the country at a specific point in time. But how exactly does one measure change? A series of measurements over time, that's how, and that's exactly what the census does. Such data is crucial; if it weren't we wouldn't still be funding massively expensive censuses 200 years later in this age of budget cuts.

You bloody commie. It smacks of big interfering government to me.

Quote: DaButt @ March 9 2011, 1:51 AM GMT

A random Welsh guy at a pub in London threatened to kill me. The English guy at the pub in Reading merely wanted to break my neck.

The Welsh usually sing you to death.

(except the Rugby players).

:D I'm on holiday, hope that excuses me?, erm... do I admit I'm on a fag-run???

Quote: billwill @ March 10 2011, 2:17 AM GMT

The Welsh usually sing you to death.

(except the Rugby players).

Thats all their capable of too the big jessie's

Quote: the beats @ March 10 2011, 7:45 AM GMT

Thats all their capable of too the big jessie's

Step outside and I'll bash your ears with a top c.

We still don't have our form. Should I panic?

Yes!
You don't exist. :O

I've not had a census through yet.

Quote: zooo @ March 12 2011, 8:46 PM GMT

Yes!
You don't exist. :O

I've often suspected that - usually when I'm in a shop wanting help.

Personally I like the census, I've found past ones useful to trace the family tree.

I wish more information could be included, such as the names of your parents (my dad does not appear on my birth certificate, has a different surname and lives with his new family, so nobody could ever link us)

I'm not sure how accurate it can be as alot of people won't bother with it, but I can see the need in it to plan things out, even if they have to use and approximate number.