Miranda - Series 3 Page 18

Miranda reminds me of Norman Wisdom ... Yuk

Quote: Shandonbelle @ January 2 2013, 6:03 PM GMT

That is all very true and accurate...though I'd say it's not so much a mental age of eleven but a 'giddy goofy' disposition that is played totally over the top to the point of being cartoonish...we know she is overegging in every way but that's the nature of the sitcom, as opposed to say The Good Life or Rising Damp, don't know if they are the best examples but I'm thinking of ones that don't have so much of the outlandish slapstick.

Plenty of sitcoms have done the OTT stuff...Basil Fawlty comes to mind, does it matter if we know that wouldn't happen in a real hotel? Does that make it less funny? It's down to personal taste like everything else.

Like I say it's not the OTT factor that's the problem here; I considered putting something in the original post which said something along the lines of unlike Father Ted where Dougal and Jack verge on cartoony and yet Ted treats them exactly as you would expect his character to deal with an endearing idiot and cantankerous alcoholic.

With Miranda it's not her OTT character but the behaviour of the characters that are played fairly straight that's inexplicable. Imagine if the Germans in Fawlty Towers hadn't asked Basil to stop mentioning the war and politely enquired about extending their stay instead.

Miranda's apparent immunity to the rules of behaviour that govern straight(ish) characters doesn't kill its mass appeal, but it is the sort of jarring inconsistency that tends to bother the comedy snobs and aspiring writers that hang out here, which is why I'm genuinely surprised how well received it is on this forum and wonder if I'm missing something.

Quote: enigmatic @ January 2 2013, 8:23 PM GMT

comedy snobs

Sick

Quote: enigmatic @ January 2 2013, 8:23 PM GMT

Miranda's apparent immunity to the rules of behaviour that govern straight(ish) characters doesn't kill its mass appeal, but it is the sort of jarring inconsistency that tends to bother the comedy snobs and aspiring writers that hang out here, which is why I'm genuinely surprised how well received it is on this forum and wonder if I'm missing something.

But isn't that the kind of thing a comedy snob would say?

Quote: Shandonbelle @ January 2 2013, 9:24 PM GMT

But isn't that the kind of thing a comedy snob would say?

Hey... who said I wasn't a comedy snob. :)

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ January 2 2013, 7:15 PM GMT

Miranda is a popular show...there's no doubt about that. And it does deserve its popularity a lot more than that Irish drag show. But that doesn't make it a great sitcom.

Yes it does.

Innovation does not equal greatness. The quality of art - and be in no doubt that sitcom is an artform - is in the perception of the audience; it cannot be objectively measured. And this sitcom is incredibly popular with the audience.

Quote: enigmatic @ January 2 2013, 9:28 PM GMT

Hey... who said I wasn't a comedy snob. :)

:D

Quote: Aaron @ January 2 2013, 9:30 PM GMT

The quality of art - and be in no doubt that sitcom is an artform - is in the perception of the audience; it cannot be objectively measured.

Great minds are discussing this for years..."is classical music more valuable than pop music?" etc. You and I agree that Miranda is very popular at the moment. And that is ok. Unlike the classical/pop-music debate comedy should make us laugh so it doesn't make sense to argue about "quality" (whatever that is). And even I watch Miranda from time to time(and smile).

Anyone watch the Frankie Howerd prog last night and think how much Miranda is influenced by Frankie's recurring use of 'breaking the 4th wall' asides to camera?

Not being dismissive or anything - she does it with a freshness that's very appealing and I love the show.

Quote: Frantically @ January 2 2013, 9:58 PM GMT

Anyone watch the Frankie Howerd prog last night and think how much Miranda is influenced by Frankie's recurring use of 'breaking the 4th wall' asides to camera?

Yes and yes.

Quote: Aaron @ January 2 2013, 9:30 PM GMT

Yes it does.

Innovation does not equal greatness. The quality of art - and be in no doubt that sitcom is an artform - is in the perception of the audience; it cannot be objectively measured. And this sitcom is incredibly popular with the audience.

It's a piece of (relatively) popular entertainment, which is nice. Let's not get silly by pretending it's also great art.

I tried and lasted 15 minutes. I wish I liked it and I can see how it worked.

But 5 minutes of hats and recaps, followed by that title sequence with all the photos of her.

Followed by the depressingly bad actual sitcom, with twee language and limp jokes.

I like Miranda Hart, but I don't watch this show because it just misses with me. But it's a good fun show and the actors seem to enjoy it and overall and pretty decent production and it's nice to keep that studio sitcom alive.

I happened to catch bit of the most recent episode and thought the moments where she kissed her new boyfriend were quite sweet and for such a daft show, in that brief moment it pulled off empathy quite well.

Quote: Frantically @ January 2 2013, 9:58 PM GMT

Not being dismissive or anything - she does it with a freshness that's very appealing and I love the show.

Yes, Miranda certainly sprung to mind here. Although he's certainly not the first or only comic to employ such a technique and arguably she owes quite a bit too Max Miller.

Quote: chipolata @ January 2 2013, 10:21 PM GMT

It's a piece of (relatively) popular entertainment, which is nice. Let's not get silly by pretending it's also great art.

What is great art?

Quote: Aaron @ January 3 2013, 6:20 AM GMT

What is great art?