Miranda - Series 3 Page 19

Quote: Lee @ January 3 2013, 12:16 AM GMT

in that brief moment it pulled off empathy quite well.

That's exactly what doesn't work for me. It's so over the top and cartoonish that it does not evoke any empathy. When in an episode Miranda behaves like a complete nut case all the time but reconciles with her (goodlooking and fit) boyfriend in the end sealing it with a kiss and the audience goes "ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh" I couldn't care less because it's all so unrealistic and daft.

And I have to repeat myself (and make myself look like a sexist bastard): I don't believe in the sexappeal of the character Miranda. It's even less realistic than Bridget Jones, where the best looking and richest guys in Britain kill each other to get that overweight walking disaster.
And I don't know why "Miranda" needs those happy endings. It tries to be so goofy and "anarchistic" for about 27 minutes just to end with a romantic scene that would be even too saccharine and unrealistic for an American romcom.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ January 3 2013, 9:11 AM GMT

That's exactly what doesn't work for me. It's so over the top and cartoonish that it does not evoke any empathy. When in an episode Miranda behaves like a complete nut case all the time but reconciles with her (goodlooking and fit) boyfriend in the end sealing it with a kiss and the audience goes "ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh" I couldn't care less because it's all so unrealistic and daft.

And I have to repeat myself (and make myself look like a sexist bastard): I don't believe in the sexappeal of the character Miranda. It's even less realistic than Bridget Jones, where the best looking and richest guys in Britain kill each other to get that overweight walking disaster.
And I don't know why "Miranda" needs those happy endings. It tries to be so goofy and "anarchistic" for about 27 minutes just to end with a romantic scene that would be even too saccharine and unrealistic for an American romcom.

Bridget Jones is pretty attractive, and the men who fight over her are both flawed.

(goodlooking and fit)

I'll ask again. Do you mean the journalist bloke in the latest episode??

I don't give a shit if it's realistic, clever, innovative, original, or not.

It makes me laugh, that is all I require a comedy to do, not try to f**k with my brain with clever jokes or try to be witty. Simple is the key.

Quote: chipolata @ January 3 2013, 10:15 AM GMT

Bridget Jones is pretty attractive, and the men who fight over her are both flawed.

Especially if she's wearing those granny knickers! (I'm not saying Renee Zellweger isn't atTractive. She has Swiss roots, by the way.)

Quote: zooo @ January 3 2013, 10:37 AM GMT

I'll ask again. Do you mean the journalist bloke in the latest episode??

No.

Quote: Gordon Bennett @ January 3 2013, 2:00 PM GMT

No.

Ah good. :)
(No offence to him or owt.)

Quote: David Carmon @ January 3 2013, 1:34 PM GMT

not try to f**k with my brain

That would be sick!! ;)

That's exactly what doesn't work for me. It's so over the top and cartoonish that it does not evoke any empathy.

I don't believe in the sexappeal of the character Miranda.

I didn't say it was Shakespeare, I just thought it worked quite well for the brief few seconds it happened? Because I assume the whole concept of the show is her trying to get laid, so when it finally happens, it happened in the quaintest way. There was no OTT Frends style wedding, just a close kiss, something more than a peck, something less than a graphic sex scene.

This latest series is awful beyond words. Bang bang bang bang bang. That's the sound of Miaranda falling over, viewers being mugged, old sitcom scripts being broken into and ancient worn out gags being hammered to death.

The more popular it gets the more I hate it because it is so blaringly unoriginal. If copyright included styles and ideas then the BBC would be bankrupt by airing one episode of Miranda. That's mainly what annoys me so much about it. It's gliding along on a huge wave of success thinking it did it all itself when the truth is it's simply become a big jolly for a gang of mercenary hacks to cash in in the most shameless way writers can. Its relentless success and praise disgusts me.Angry

Other than that it's very funny.

I agree with most of what you wrote. But I wouldn't call it boring (you haven't either) which is a plus for the show. So for me it clearly wins over the 30 minutes of tedium called Bad Education. Speaking of lack of originality: Whitehall makes me sick with his near paralyzed and charisma-less state (the opposite of Miranda Hart) desperately trying to copy the movements and facial expressions of Noel Fielding and other comedians.

And before Max Miller was Oliver Hardy

Quote: bushbaby @ January 4 2013, 12:10 PM GMT

And before Max Miller was Oliver Hardy

And I'm sure classic cartoon characters like Tom & Jerry or the Pink Panther did it too.

And without Elvis there would have been no Beatles (their words, not mine!) everyone is influenced by someone, who cares if it brings a smile to peoples faces.

Quote: Shandonbelle @ January 4 2013, 2:51 PM GMT

And without Elvis there would have been no Beatles (their words, not mine!) everyone is influenced by someone, who cares if it brings a smile to peoples faces.

I was only interested in the origins of the "breaking of the fourth wall" on TV.

But I wanted to talk about the Beatles ;)