Monty Python is dreadful Page 5

Quote: Ben @ December 15 2010, 5:45 PM GMT

I've always thought the Pythons TV output was 90% tiresome and 10% inspired genius. Love The Life of Brian and Holy Grail though.

True but those stats could be applied to much comedy, we only remember that which smacks our funny bones and there's precious little of that.

I'd say that Big Train and The Fast Show had higher hit rates. Whether people will think the same thing in 30 years, though, is another matter.

Can't comment too much on the TV show but the films ranged from pretty good to excellent.

I didn't like The Meaning of Life. A few funny bits, but overall as funny as a drunk relative.

Quote: Ben @ December 19 2010, 1:47 PM GMT

I'd say that Big Train and The Fast Show had higher hit rates.

Then again, the writers of that show didn't have to produce 13 episodes of material for three series in a row? (Big Train only managed two series of 6 and, whilst I think it was a brilliant sketch show, there was a significant drop in quality from series 1 to series 2.)

Quote: Ben @ December 19 2010, 1:47 PM GMT

I'd say that Big Train and The Fast Show had higher hit rates. Whether people will think the same thing in 30 years, though, is another matter.

Depends on the audience. A room of 4-year-olds would find Mr Bean funnier than Blackadder, much as Flying Circus might be deemed inferior to Wagon Train.

Anyway, full marks to the creator of this thread. Despite being banned for starting a ludicrously inflammatory topic, his preposterous assertion that Python is unfunny crap has grown legs and sprouted wings.

Quote: Griff @ December 20 2010, 12:30 AM GMT

It does suffer from being a sketch movie (a genre which has never really flourished since Kentucky Fried Movie)

The Onion Movie was a fun sketch movie. Is Amazon Women on the Moon any good? It's in the specials bin at my local DVD store now but I fear it may be a waste of $5.

When was it released?

Just looked it up on Wiki. Filmed 2003 and released 2008. The delay between filming and release doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

Quote: chipolata @ December 20 2010, 10:38 AM GMT

When was it released?

The Onion Movie had a chequered history, being made in 2003 by Fox, which then decided it was crap and not worthy of theatrical release. It was eventually quietly released on DVD in 2008. Perhaps uneven and too knowingly silly, but plenty of funny bits. Especially near the end, where there's a Martha Stewart type show spoof, about how to cook a cat. Feebly trying to stay on topic, despite being a series of sketches, it has more of a plot than The Meaning of Life.

Quote: chipolata @ December 20 2010, 10:38 AM GMT

The delay between filming and release doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

Doesn't inspire confidence in Fox. It's like how Police Squad! In Color was canceled on the spurious grounds that it required viewers to think.

Fox were also responsible for nearly not releasing The Rocky Horror Picture Show.

Quote: Tim Walker @ December 20 2010, 12:17 AM GMT

Then again, the writers of that show didn't have to produce 13 episodes of material for three series in a row?

Python went for four series, didn't it?

Quote: Aaron @ December 20 2010, 11:01 AM GMT

Fox were also responsible for nearly not releasing The Rocky Horror Picture Show.

:O :O :O

Quote: Matthew Stott @ December 20 2010, 11:01 AM GMT

Python went for four series, didn't it?

It did, yes.

Minus Cleese for the final series. He'd had enough and wanted to do something better.

AWOTM is ok but not brilliant, worth watching if its cheap

Didn't there used to be a trend for portmanteau comedy movies in the UK in the 70s?

You know 3 lonigsh vaguely related epsidoes

Quote: Kenneth @ December 20 2010, 11:21 AM GMT

Minus Cleese for the final series. He'd had enough and wanted to do something better.

Only on screen, mind. He still wrote for Series 4.