Monty Python is dreadful Page 4

Palin was my favourite Python. But the others were really, really good n that.

Quote: Leevil @ December 16 2010, 1:46 PM GMT

Palin was my favourite Python. But the others were really, really good n that.

Don't get me wrong, I will forever love Michael Palin, if only for his performance in Life Of Brian as the mouthy, Roman-loving prisoner...

"Nail 'em up! Nail some sense into 'em!"... Just thinking about MP delivering that line always makes me laugh. (I often find myself shouting it at the TV screen, for example whilst watching the recent student protests on the news.) :)

:D

It really was innovative at the time but I think nowadays we are spoilt for comedy choice. Yes it is very dated now but brilliant at the time.

It's just a load of Oxbridge chums indulging themselves and spiting their middle-class upbringings by acting out utter nonsense. Maybe it was entertaining forty years ago. But forty years ago, people had less taste. They'd watch anything.

See how they don't make Bullseye anymore?

Because people got smarter.

It's a no from me, I'm afraid.

Three words: Snog, marry, avoid.

Well I didn't expect a Spammish inquisition.

I love to be forced into a comfy chair. Laughing out loud

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ December 17 2010, 8:32 PM GMT

Well I didn't expect a Spammish inquisition.

:D

Laughing out loud

Quote: Sadsmileyface @ December 17 2010, 6:43 PM GMT

I think the success of Bo Selecta and The Friday Night Project (to name but two) disproves that particular theory.

Quote: Sadsmileyface @ December 17 2010, 6:43 PM GMT

It's just a load of Oxbridge chums indulging themselves and spiting their middle-class upbringings by acting out utter nonsense. Maybe it was entertaining forty years ago. But forty years ago, people had less taste. They'd watch anything.

See how they don't make Bullseye anymore?

It's a no from me, I'm afraid.

I must have missed that part of the forty years ago where they used to manufacture fake vomit and shit and show stickers of football players pissing on their rival football teams...

You could say that Laurel and Hardy were better than Monty Python, so where's the logic here?

I appreciate the impact Monty Python made and I can understand why people would find it funny but it just doesn't make me laugh. I bought a series of it on DVD as I assumed it was just a case of me being miserable but hand on heart I didn't laugh out loud once. Maybe I just don't get it.

Quote: Ben @ December 15 2010, 5:45 PM GMT

I've always thought the Pythons TV output was 90% tiresome and 10% inspired genius.

Yep.

Quote: Ben @ December 15 2010, 5:45 PM GMT

I've always thought the Pythons TV output was 90% tiresome and 10% inspired genius.

Those percentages are debatable but perfectly acceptable for the point you're making.

However, I think you'll find the same applies to other comedic geniuses.

Among their legendary offerings, you'll find many Cook and Moore sketches that were pretty dire.