The Sitcom Mission 2011 Page 23

Quote: Delbert @ February 25 2011, 10:14 AM GMT

Hi guys,

I have a query about my script that someone can hopefully advise me on.

In one scene my main character has a conversation with another character on skype. Obviously this wouldn't be too much of a problem for a TV production, but I am aware of the difficulties in representing this on a stage.

I had planned for it just to be VoiceOver (may hav to make reference to fact his webcam is not on to indicate it is a call taking place on skype rather than mobile/ landline) and wondered if this would present problems as I'd also need a prop to indicate he is on computer. Would his sort of thing (as well as small props) be supplied by successful writers if they made it to showcase.

Thanks

If you're worried about anything like that, my advice would be to write a script without it in.

Quote: Griff @ February 25 2011, 10:36 AM GMT

I had characters working at computers in an office sitcom for a previous Sitcom Trials.

Why don't you just send that in to these guys?

Quote: Delbert @ February 25 2011, 10:14 AM GMT

Hi guys,

I have a query about my script that someone can hopefully advise me on.

In one scene my main character has a conversation with another character on skype. Obviously this wouldn't be too much of a problem for a TV production, but I am aware of the difficulties in representing this on a stage.

I had planned for it just to be VoiceOver (may hav to make reference to fact his webcam is not on to indicate it is a call taking place on skype rather than mobile/ landline) and wondered if this would present problems as I'd also need a prop to indicate he is on computer. Would his sort of thing (as well as small props) be supplied by successful writers if they made it to showcase.

Thanks

Does it *have* to be on Skype? I mean, it is vital to what is said that it's via Skype? If not (and *really* think about it), change it to video calling on a mobile, or even just a normal phone call.

Dan

They're always on about Skype in The Archers. "I've just been Skying Reg in Australia." "Can't talk now, I'm expecting a Skype from Sally." It's riduculous.

For me the golden rule is; if it's funny enough and meets the selection criteria, the team will work something out.

I'm just glad they're only doing two sitcoms a night. I'd hate to be the writer of the last one of four. :S

Quote: swerytd @ February 25 2011, 10:39 AM GMT

Does it *have* to be on Skype? I mean, it is vital to what is said that it's via Skype? If not (and *really* think about it), change it to video calling on a mobile, or even just a normal phone call.

Dan

It is kind of vital as their relationship at this stage only exists on the Internet and their occasional video chats. Granted, I have tried to minimise this dialogue as much as possible so it doesn't constitute the major part of the episode

Quote: Griff @ February 25 2011, 11:22 AM GMT

Dignity, Chip. Dignity.

*digs out bottom drawer and sends everything ever written*

I think it's worse going on first. Nobody remembers the first one by the end of the night.

Unless it's significantly funnier than the rest Huh? . Are there scripts available online, of previous finalists? Anything on YouTube.?

Quote: Krusty @ February 25 2011, 1:46 PM GMT

Unless it's significantly funnier than the rest Huh? . Are there scripts available online, of previous finalists? Anything on YouTube.?

We don't hold the rights to scripts from previous years, the writers do, so no there are no scripts currently online.

It's a good idea, though. I think we should chase writers, get their approval and post the winners.

Bit busy at the moment, though.

Why?

:)

Dan

Good evening, I'm ready to submit, do we get automatic confirmation that it's received or do we need to throw you a message? Rich.

Quote: simon wright @ February 24 2011, 9:38 PM GMT

Deadline is up to midnight on Feb 28th. As for invisible props, I'm not sure what you mean by 'it will be explained what the character is holding'. We don't (as some groups that simply read scripts do) have a narrator explaining what's going on. If you can pm a sample of what you mean I can let you know if it's OK for us.

Simon

Hi Simon.
I was going to have a character pretend to wheel along a hospital introveneous drip on a stand, relying on the imagination of the audience.
The other character was to ask "What's that?"
First character would explain what it is.
Second character would then ask a surreal question like, "Why's it invisible?"

The idea has now been abandoned because explaning it here has just made my eyes go crossed.

:P

Oh, and mucho apologies for the w word.

Quote: michael b @ February 25 2011, 4:35 PM GMT

Well that's all a bit tetchy. Quick reply. My final one on this rather dull subject. According to the BBC press release, Being Human is officially known as a 'supernatural sitcom'. The second word in that description is the deal breaker (it's a type of sitcom, let's not split hairs, life's far too short).

Then whoever wrote that made a mistake; it's not a sitcom. We can't really have an argument about this, or 'split hairs', as it's just not a sitcom. Honest.

If the last reply came across as tetchy, it wasn't supposed to.

it's getting like the 'argument' about Grandma's House :)

Being Human is an hour long supernatural drama, with plenty of humour, as well as tense, bloody horror, splashed around.

I've actually got two potential scripts to send in! Oooer!

One being the one I wrote for Sitcom Mission then extended for Laughing stock, but this is the episode two! since we're trying to avoid introductions and the such. Kind of along the lines of Gavin and Stacey character and story wise (not the same obviously, talking tone and style here) but with more 'gag' type moments.

And a relatively newer idea. More satirical.

Probably will send the latter on Monday evening. I like the former, but it suited Laughing Stock better. This newer one is something that would work much better on the stage.