The Sitcom Mission 2011 Page 19

Don't forget William Shatner is currently starring in Shit My Dad says.

And that's got shat in the cast list.

Quote: alabastercodify @ February 18 2011, 6:38 PM GMT

hi hate to keep asking things like this but I was wondering:

is it possible to have a prop that is a helmet with a fish finger attached to it on a piece of string ? (yes I know this a strange question)

Why not try it and find out? And could you film yourself doing it...?

Quote: simon wright @ February 18 2011, 7:14 PM GMT

Don't forget William Shatner is currently starring in Shit My Dad says.

And that's got shat in the cast list.

I have it on good authority that Mr Shatner was almost persuaded to name his recent-ish comback album 'Shat - Himself'

A quick question - probably too late to be of any help - for Si and Dec.

Will the winner of the commission be determined purely by quality (whatever that is)or will saleability be an issue?

By which I mean that I suspect no matter how good my circus sitcom is, no-ones going to go there again in the near future; or a University based sitcom would be hard to sell due to the commissioning of Campus.

This is not to assume I'm getting anywhere near this, but it just occurred to me.

wish I could read some of these scripts, be a right chuckle!

Quote: Toffee @ February 17 2011, 9:33 PM GMT

A quick question. In my script I have the characters watching a television and commenting about what is on. How could I do this on a stage? The issue of not actually having a television shouldn't be to big of a problem as the fact they're watching a television is made obvious. But will talking about what's on the screen (when nothing actually is as there is no telly) be a problem?

If you want a way of doing this check out 'An evening with Gary Lineker'. Actually just check it out anyway as it's a great play, especially if you can remember the 1990 World Cup.

As for the helmet of fish fingers I don't know of any contemporary work that's attempted such a thing.

Quote: StephenM @ February 19 2011, 3:45 AM GMT

As for the helmet of fish fingers I don't know of any contemporary work that's attempted such a thing.

But you know some classical works that have?

"Uneasy lies the head that wears a fish finger crown"

(From the lost "Henry II part IV")

Good morning,

I have been hard at work, putting together a script and all the while feeling massively intimidated by the huge number of quality entries you are no doubt receiving! Still, it's worth a try and all part of the writer's journey.

I confess to having somehow managed to read the entire Sitcom Mission website - except the forums - until yesterday. Imagine my surprise when I learned I only had four chairs and a table on stage at my disposal! And that character bios and a synopsis of future episodes could be included in my entry. And that a pilot would be acceptable to send in - I thought it had to be a pilot!

I think it would benefit many people if these small but important details were put up there in the guidelines.

Cheers x

I think my script is too rubbish to enter. Aghh.

Quote: The White Rabbit @ February 19 2011, 11:50 AM GMT

And that a pilot would be acceptable to send in - I thought it had to be a pilot!

One of the things I thought they made crystal clear is that THEY DON'T WANT A PILOT!

(Unless of course it's in an aeroplane.)

There's too much explanation and not enough funny in a pilot to judge so they wanted to see just one episode initially.

Hi guys, long time reader, first time poster here!
I was wondering, what happens on stage when a scene changes?
Do you have a 'Narrator character' to announce "Scene 2, bedroom" ?
Do people go off between scenes, even if they are in the next one, or do I just do, lights down, lights up?

And...

What's the opinion in Sitcoms set in the past? Do you think nowadays everything HAS to be contemporary?

Cheers all, and good luck!

Quote: Funsize @ February 19 2011, 1:48 PM GMT

What's the opinion in Sitcoms set in the past? Do you think nowadays everything HAS to be contemporary?

The 2010 winner was set in the 19th Century, Doesn't need to be contemporary! :)

But you may need to supply costumes.

Lights up and down for scene changes.

With the Outline/ Synopsis, should I convert it to PDF, send it as a word document, or just paste it into the email itself? Thanks.

just entered my work.

script is a PDF and the outline is a Word docx.

Hi declan. I'd love some clarification on format. There doesn't seem to be anything in the guide re formatting (unless I've missed it)I'm typing my script using microsoft works. Can I simply attach the file/document to an email, and send via my hotmail accont? Thanks in advance for your speedy and informative reply.