The Sitcom Mission 2011 Page 18

wow Declan, I didn't know that, what a fab opportunity!!!

Quick question for Simon. You mentioned no entry has been rejected at this stage and there is still time to do some rewrites. Does that mean you haven't actually started reading any of the submitted scripts yet? It sounds like you're 'opening for business' on March 1. Is that really the case? Wading through 1000+ scripts in one month is surely a recipe for a major headache/breakdown.

I'm reading everything as it comes in. As you rightly say it would be lunacy to wade through 1000+ scripts in a month.

What we're not doing at this stage is accepting or rejecting anything. We're really not.

I think next year we should embed a secret code in the 'Guidelines' page of our website. We will only read your script if you can quote it. That would eliminate the scripts that we simply can't stage. One script we were sent asked for a bus, an elephant, a monkey, a pet rock capable of displaying emotion, a spider, a cat and a full-sized caravan. The writer described it as 'easily stageable'.

One script we were sent asked for a bus, an elephant, a monkey, a pet rock capable of displaying emotion, a spider, a cat and a full-sized caravan. The writer described it as 'easily stageable'.

hahahaha what a fab sense of humour

Quote: bushbaby @ February 17 2011, 12:55 AM GMT

One script we were sent asked for a bus, an elephant, a monkey, a pet rock capable of displaying emotion, a spider, a cat and a full-sized caravan. The writer described it as 'easily stageable'.

hahahaha what a fab sense of humour

If London can stage the Olympics this should be easy. Sick

Well mine has about 6 different scenes but can use basically the same props. Hopefully that would be understandable.

So I'm planning to send a series synopsis, list of charcters and scenes for episode submitted and the script itself. That should be enough shouldn't it?

A quick question. In my script I have the characters watching a television and commenting about what is on. How could I do this on a stage? The issue of not actually having a television shouldn't be to big of a problem as the fact they're watching a television is made obvious. But will talking about what's on the screen (when nothing actually is as there is no telly) be a problem?

I'm wondering about a similar thing with my Script. They're looking at photos on a table in one scene (obviously the audience can't see. They don't actually need to), but they're pretty much describing a lot about them (alongside making jokes/insults).

I guess it will work!

Incidentally, on the 2nd of January I sent an e-mail to one of the script editors, Marc Blake, via the contact details on his page, and to this very day I haven't heard anything back.

To be fair I haven't chased it up, but it's a good job I wasn't in dire need of help!

Is it possible to be in "dire need of help" when all you're doing is writing a sitcom?

Hi,

Serious question, not a joke or sarcasm.

My script requires a mask, this could just be a bit of Paper with an elastic band stuck to it (cellotape or such would do), with the mask's details drawn on it. Is that okay? I'm a bit worried about the degree of props available, including costumes.

Hi Igniz

A mask is fine, not a problem at all.

Hi Kev

There's no need to be in a dire need of help when writing a sitcom, only when producing one!

Quote: Penge @ February 17 2011, 10:50 PM GMT

Incidentally, on the 2nd of January I sent an e-mail to one of the script editors, Marc Blake, via the contact details on his page, and to this very day I haven't heard anything back.

To be fair I haven't chased it up, but it's a good job I wasn't in dire need of help!

Perhaps he's still waiting for your cheque :D

hi hate to keep asking things like this but I was wondering:

is it possible to have a prop that is a helmet with a fish finger attached to it on a piece of string ? (yes I know this a strange question)

is it libellous for a character to claim he used to go out shooting natives in Borneo with prince phillip?

is it possible to have a swear word in the title of the show ?

is it alright to have a character who claims to be Jesus even if he isnt really Jesus at all ?

thats all I can think of right now. thanks

Quote: alabastercodify @ February 18 2011, 6:38 PM GMT

hi hate to keep asking things like this but I was wondering:

is it possible to have a prop that is a helmet with a fish finger attached to it on a piece of string ? (yes I know this a strange question)

is it libellous for a character to claim he used to go out shooting natives in Borneo with prince phillip?

is it possible to have a swear word in the title of the show ?

is it alright to have a character who claims to be Jesus even if he isnt really Jesus at all ?

hahahaha.....if you have a swear word in the title it won't email as swear words are out for many email addresses.
But then again, some of us can't help taking the piss

Q: is it possible to have a prop that is a helmet with a fish finger attached to it on a piece of string ? (yes I know this a strange question)

A: Yes, if you make it.

Q: is it libellous for a character to claim he used to go out shooting natives in Borneo with prince phillip?

A: I think this is one of those things that depends upon context.

Q: is it possible to have a swear word in the title of the show ?

A: What time and channel will you be pitching this at? And are you expecting Radio Times to be listing it?

Q: is it alright to have a character who claims to be Jesus even if he isnt really Jesus at all ?

A: You mean he isn't actually Jesus? Blimey. I thought all people who claimed to be Jesus were Jesus. I think this is ok, just don't make him say things like 'I'm a bit gay'. Stewart Lee's been there and done that.

No problem. While you're worrying about these things, don't forget to make your sitcom so unflappably brilliant that we don't care about the above and will be able to work through them if we have to.

Cheers, Declan