Writing partner Page 4

Quote: Derek Thompson @ October 26 2010, 4:01 PM BST

Is that like comic sans serif?

No.

Hmm, maybe others can help change my mind here but I have never been keen on the idea of having a writing partner. Yes I know some of our best sitcoms have been penned by duos and I understand the pros of feeding each other lines and ideas but there has to be a lot of trust there and a lot of respect for each other and I would have thought, a lack of ego from either for it not to go all wrong. I also believe that if a writer has no trouble thinking up ideas and lines then he or she has no need for a partner.

However, because of the obvious prestige writing partnerhips carry in British sitcomedy I have created my first invisible writing partner, hoping that this will get me the golden pitch opportunity with a prod. They will just have to be inconvened whenever the prod wants a meeting. I have a slight fear this will make them seem the more talented, more important, more alluring one in the partnership to the prod but if it gets my scripts noticed properly as they should be then I am willing to put up with that.

I did a bit of comedy writing in a team - and I have to say it's not for me.
It's all very well when you're at the 'thrashing it out' stage, but there comes a time when you want to say - "Ok, I'll take it from here - now f**k off."

I think it could possibly work if there is a clear delineation in skills - one does gags one does plot, for instance.
From those that I know of, there is usually a 'pacer' and a 'typer'.
One spews out ideas, the other takes them down and filters them as he does so.
Or as someone once said "You dig up the clay - I'll make the pot."

Either way I think you need to put your ego on a shelf.

And with most writer that going to have to be some f*****g shelf.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ November 12 2010, 12:41 PM GMT

However, because of the obvious prestige writing partnerhips carry in British sitcomedy I have created my first invisible writing partner, hoping that this will get me the golden pitch opportunity with a prod.

You're not going to get anything just because there are two names on the front of the script.

I'm not in a set writing team, but write some scripts on my own, and then have other projects I work on as a duo (In fact, two different duo's).

I was changing my name to Gold and then find a co writer called Solid

'Gold Solid'? That doesn't even work!

Dan

A friend and I write funny short and long paced sketches together and we have told people we know about them and they were in fits of laughter on hearing them. We recently wrote in 74 sketches to STVs writing opportunity at STV forward slash comedy and it looks like we never got nowhere with it considering the comedy sketches that did make it. The sketches that did make it so far are very poor in humour and it just makes you wonder what TV is going to be like in the future if this is what they call "Looking for fresh new talented writers" if they pick sketches like these. Honestly have a look at the website and see yourself. If t6his is what they are looking for in writers I have to say writers don't need to think much of a punchline for a sketch. All you need is a stupid catchphrase and a crap punchline. Whatever happened to the talent where writing was out of the blue and unexpected? T.V is certainly missing new talented writers and picking the writers who are using the same comedy format as usual. That is not called " Looking for fresh new talented writers" Its called "Looking for new writers to write for us using old comedy format". Anyway the point is if I join you in writing my friend it wouldnt be in my best interests as explained.

If you're serious then 74 sketches is a silly number.

they probably stopped reading after the 3rd one

from bitter experience quality always beats quantity

The thing about writing with a partner is you can bounce ideas off each other - and if you're struggling then you can help each other out.

Quote: swerytd @ November 12 2010, 3:22 PM GMT

'Gold Solid'? That doesn't even work!

Dan

It's a solid gold idea for the go getter who has no time to waste reading first words first.

'Getter Go'? That doesn't even work!

Dan

74 Isnt a silly number at all. I sent 74 as STV personally emailed in reply to my response in the amount we send and they said to send in ALL of our sketches of which I did! I too am experienced in this hence I asked. Theres a glasgow company who take in unsolicited mail and only need ten sketches but its going to take three years to read due to the amount of scripts other writers have sent. There are other companies who only need three. Every company wants different things. It seems to me "sooty" that you don't know an awful lot yourself. It may of concern to you that companies preffer established or recognised upcoming writers apposed to people who havent got no recognition and are just starting off. I am one of those people who have written for years but have no recognition. I see you as a bullyish type and a circastic on this website putttng others down and a person who thinks who knows all. You really need to consider others more and just enjoy this website as it was intended to do.

I think he was just trying to be helpful Spaceball. The scattergun approach isn't usually a good idea. Pick some of your best sketches, in your opinion ,and make them as good as they can be - even so far as spell checking, grammar etc. Don't give them any reason to stop reading. And then send those off.

Marc P. Thankyou for the advice its appreciated. I really do think though that comedy is very poor in its quality in writing nowadays. It is not really funny in the slightest and I know there are great writers out there like myself who are not known who can make that magic and talent come back on TV, where you cannot predict whats happening. I find TV are putting the same comedy format on year after year sketch wise and its sickening. What is your opinion on writing nowadays? I could easily write what they put on TV nowadays not a problem anyone could think up those punchlines but what TV are asking for nowadays wouldnt make me laugh and it would take the joy out of writing.

Quote: Spaceball1 @ November 19 2010, 12:36 PM GMT

Marc P. Thankyou for the advice its appreciated. I really do think though that comedy is very poor in its quality in writing nowadays. It is not really funny in the slightest and I know there are great writers out there like myself who are not known who can make that magic and talent come back on TV, where you cannot predict whats happening. I find TV are putting the same comedy format on year after year sketch wise and its sickening. What is your opinion on writing nowadays? I could easily write what they put on TV nowadays not a problem anyone could think up those punchlines but what TV are asking for nowadays wouldnt make me laugh and it would take the joy out of writing.

I think writing now is as good as it ever was just harder to find on TV nowadays. Too many channels too much watering, sorry, dumbing down. There's loads of stuff I enjoy though. And Cher to win of course! Have fun with your writing is the main thing, if you don't the audience probably won't either. There is a platform for your material in critique here - but if you do post keep the condiment set handy.