Life's Too Short Page 16

Funny old thing this, ep 2 miles better than 1, and Warwick's character started to become more than just a brent knock off.

Problem is, Gervais is a unique talent and hasn't found out how to wield his power yet.

The Office, the Invention of Lying, his podcasts, Extras, the Golden Globes; this is absolute fearless comedy.

It strikes me though that Life's Too Short, apart from suffering from following the peerless Rev, is that it tries to be a combination of The Office (Warwick as Brent) and Extras (Look! It's me, Liam Neeson).

They should have had faith in the character of Warwick and kept themselves out of it.

I don't usually comment on new sitcoms but I feel compelled to mention something about episode 2.

The local TV reporter skit was the funniest thing I've seen for a long time. Tim Key completely stole the show. Just sublime. The bitter character has got major potential. I'm disappointed that we will (probably) never see it again.

Quote: michael b @ November 19 2011, 1:21 PM GMT

I don't usually comment on new sitcoms but I feel compelled to mention something about episode 2.

The local TV reporter skit was the funniest thing I've seen for a long time. Tim Key completely stole the show. Just sublime. The bitter character has got major potential. I'm disappointed that we will (probably) never see it again.

Yeah, he was brilliant, as always, and it really felt like a lead sitcom character and world in the making there. This frustrated, close to the edge local news reporter desperate for the big leagues.

Enjoyed the second episode, funny throughout. My only reservation was the whole cringe-worthy wedding speech, which was a bit sitcom-by-numbers.

What can you say about this show? Jesus, what a pile of shit.

Quote: Godot Taxis @ November 19 2011, 6:02 PM GMT

Jesus, what a pile of shit.

The title of me new sitcom about an incontinent messiah.

Bizarre. I *could not stand* the local reporter scene. For a start it didn't fit - the premise was unlikely, it was completely unrealistic in an ostensibly hyper-real mockumentary, and he was far too aggressive compared to the tone of the rest of the programme.

Although in fairness it suffered from immediately following the crap autograph-tumour scene, what is so far the ultimate Gervais-by-numbers skit, but somehow lacking something that was present in The Office/Extras.

My God. I've actually been drawn into this shit - moaning on a forum about someone who's succeeding when I can't write for shit myself.

I suppose the reason many of us are angry is that we can't do what they do, so we put a lot of hopes on them, and they themselves rail against mediocrity, not to mention Gervais' constant trumpet blowing. Now they've come up with a dud, what are they going to do now?

To sum up after 2 eps......
FUNNY !
I loved everything about ep 2. The convention tumor bit, the wedding speech, Warwick in the bear suit, the brainstorming with the secretary, Johnny Depp was superb and Warwick doing Flatley. I laughed out loud a lot.
Sorry.

Quote: joebloggs69 @ November 19 2011, 6:47 PM GMT

Bizarre. I *could not stand* the local reporter scene. For a start it didn't fit - the premise was unlikely, it was completely unrealistic in an ostensibly hyper-real mockumentary, and he was far too aggressive compared to the tone of the rest of the programme.

Although in fairness it suffered from immediately following the crap autograph-tumour scene, what is so far the ultimate Gervais-by-numbers skit, but somehow lacking something that was present in The Office/Extras.

Agreed on both counts.

I also though Johnny Depp was terrible, but as he possibly the worst actor on the planet that was not entirely surprising.

Did not live up to the limited promise of the first episode.

Quote: Goose24 @ November 18 2011, 8:25 PM GMT

I also feel a bit sorry that Steve seems to have been pushed to the side in this. He hardly gets a look in, l

Did he even get a line this week?

I rate J Depp as an actor.
Enjoyed the dwarf in the bog but the rest was shit.

Quote: Charley @ November 19 2011, 11:58 PM GMT

I rate J Depp as an actor.

You just want to get into his pants.

I certainly do!

I wasn't overkeen on the Tim Key bit, but did love Depp on the Dictaphone & Barry at the end.
But I'd seen the Depp in the office clip so often that it spoilt it a bit

By fook episode 2 was funny! Depp was genius as was Warwick in a doggie cum-stained bear outfit :D :D

Great stuff, bring on episode 3!

Nice to know I'm not the only one who thought Tim Key was annoying as the local news reporter.