Life's Too Short Page 18

Like I say, I agree.

Quote: Badge @ November 20 2011, 7:26 PM GMT

Like I say, I agree.

Okay, it was tricky deciphering whether you were agreeing or taking the piss.

I'm not taking the piss. I agree that the generic sitcom character-based idea you described has potential. If you want me to say that the Key character in ep 2 of Life's Too Short has potential, I would say no, for the reasons I gave earlier (i.e. he behaved in an unrealistic way). I like Tim Key, generally, but this came across as a thrown together "do what you like Tim cos we haven't bothered to write a script" scene.

I've actually just remembered that the second sitcom script I ever wrote featured exactly the scenario I was pointing out! Only he was a rubbish ex-footballer and current sports reporter for a local news service who dreamed of going national and being on Match of The Day. No wonder it leapt out at me.

It was so terrible I'd clearly shrouded it from my conscious memory.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ November 20 2011, 8:08 PM GMT

I've actually just remembered that the second sitcom script I ever wrote featured exactly the scenario I was pointing out! Only he was a rubbish ex-footballer and current sports reporter for a local news service who dreamed of going national and being on Match of The Day. No wonder it leapt out at me.

It was so terrible I'd clearly shrouded it from my conscious memory.

Laughing out loud

Sounds a bit Alan Partridge though (apart from a few specifics)...

Quote: Badge @ November 20 2011, 6:33 PM GMT

After 2 episodes, by far the funniest bits are where Warwick is referring to Willow. The line in ep 1 about it getting some money back is the best thing in the show so far.

Yes, a well written and delivered line. Enjoyed that and the brainstorming session between Davis and secretary the most. It felt like we may be watching an actual documentary for a few mins.

Quite enjoying this, thought the second episode was very good and had a few laugh out loud moments. Still a couple of annoyances, like Warwick acting *exactly* like David Brent in the first episode and the usual lines that people just wouldn't say; "stuck here talking to nobodies" from Tim Key's news reporter stands out.

Still, definitely very watchable. Like most Gervais and Merchant stuff is to be fair.

http://thequietus.com/articles/07434-ricky-gervais-mong-face

Discuss.

Good blog post

Perhaps the most wrong thing about the mong 'ting.

Is people with learning disabilities are amongst the most marginalised and abused people in our society. From being at the front of swinging benefit cuts, being abused by their neighbours, victims of hate crime (which the police refuse to recognise), denied employment and pushed into miserable social accomadations. They have a terrible time of it.

Of all the vulnerable groups in society. They are amongst the most unheard and ignored.

Ricky could have done a little bit of research or maybe just asked a couple of people with learning disabilities.

If he wants to apologise I could recommend a few organisations looking for volunteers.

I wonder what the effect will be on "Warwick Davis the actor", as a result of playing "Warwick Davis the character", bearing in mind he's portrayed as a bit of an unpleasant 'David Brent'? Surely it's more likely that people will imagine he's actually like his character, since they have the same name?

Finally watched this online.

Pretty much the same as last week - I enjoyed the stuff with Warwick and his trials and tribulations, but still don't think there's any need for G&M or the big name stars. For me they don't add anything.

Quick Edit: Re the Tim Key thing I'm going to appear on the fence compared with some here - don't think he played a prime sitcom character, but funny and a great performance.

Interesting read, whether you agree with it or not:

Quote: 4Name SirName @ November 21 2011, 1:08 PM GMT

Discuss.

So it was...

I jest. It's an interesting point of view. I don't buy into it, because I don't think LTS is a mocking-the-short sitcom. I just think it's an under-developed sitcom that doesn't work because its (very) talented writers haven't put enough time into it. That's all.

Quote: Badge @ November 21 2011, 11:41 PM GMT

So it was...

I jest. It's an interesting point of view. I don't buy into it, because I don't think LTS is a mocking-the-short sitcom. I just think it's an under-developed sitcom that doesn't work because its (very) talented writers haven't put enough time into it. That's all.

The essential premise is that dwarves trying to do things that people of average height do is funny, especially if they fail.

Most people would recognise this as a 'low' (sorry) form of comedy which is lacking enough in empathy and fellow-feeling to be at best a bit shameful or at worst cruel and worrying.

The blog didn't get to the heart of the matter. Gervais believes he is a 'late starter' and should have been successful years ago. For success read the level of fame he had after The Office rather than a reasonably paid job in TV or radio and some level of creative control.

Obviously part of lack of success is internalised as self-hatred and this is well-expressed in the Brent story but starts to dissipate by the end of the specials, where Brent is suddenly (though not unrealistically) shown to lift himself above his colleagues by 'succeeding' with an attractive woman without modifying his behaviour, leading to him telling Neil and Finch to 'f**k off'. At first it feels like just a feelgood ending but it is probably the first example of Gervais having his cake and eating it and pushing himself in front of the character.

It is a significant moment that many have missed. Brent leaves the show as no longer a figure of fun. Further episodes of The Office were never mooted but they would not have had the same dynamic as before.

A little of the self-hate returns in Extras - the Bowie scene would fascinate a psychotherapist: here Gervais puts himself up against someone he really respects and allows himself to be punished for his hubris in trying to compete. The next stage of course is to use this as proof of what he really is - a great comedian. Something has to explain his delay in coming to the fore as that, and Gervais externalises it as the BBC and audiences filled with Count F**kula types.

Further affirmation is provided when Gervais is instantly successful in America - they 'get it' and he is able to locate being a 'fish out of water' as the primary delay for his earlier lack of success and recognition. The rejection of British comedy is thereafter logical and necessary and possibly even unconscious.

Quote: Stephen Ryder @ November 20 2011, 8:27 AM GMT

Nice to know I'm not the only one who thought Tim Key was annoying as the local news reporter.

That whole report skit was embarrassingly bad!