Life's Too Short Page 21

Quote: Matthew Stott @ November 25 2011, 3:41 PM GMT

Remember there are Two writers though, if you think it's crap, it's Merchant's fault too.

More than happy to spread the blame.
Though I would be interested to learn more about how their writing partnership works - especially if it has changed for this versus, say, The Office, of which I am a huge fan.

Quote: Tony Cowards @ November 25 2011, 1:11 PM GMT

But Father Ted wasn't really set in the "real" world, it existed in its own self-contained world and stayed true to that, Life's Too Short however is supposed to be a documentary, hence in the real world, and so, the characters have stay truer to real life.

It's not so much about thinking "a priest wouldn't do that" but thinking "Father Ted/Jack/Dougal WOULD do that" because it's been set up in their character and their interactions with their world.

Everyone has a certain amount of suspension of disbelief but if characters are constantly doing things that you don't believe they would really do it ruins the whole set up.

Alan Partridge is a classic example, no-one in real life would do any of the things that he does but the character, and the world he exists in, is so brilliantly written and realised that we, the viewers, never question it.

Oops, just trying to figure out the quote method. As per the quote above, Tony, that is exactly what I was saying? It seems like you haven't understood this.

Oh I see, that's how it works...

Great, carry on everyone x

Quote: Lazzard @ November 25 2011, 3:50 PM GMT

More than happy to spread the blame.
Though I would be interested to learn more about how their writing partnership works - especially if it has changed for this versus, say, The Office, of which I am a huge fan.

Interesting discussion.

I got the impression from the extra bits on The Office DVDs that the writing is Gervais sat in a chair looking at the ceiling, pulling faces and laughing loudly and Merchant sat at a PC typing. Sure, they'd bounce ideas around, but ultimately it looks like that part of the writing is largely led creatively by Ricky.

Now, whether they always work like that I don't know. Didn't Curtis and Elton work separately and swap scripts later or something? Maybe Gervais and Merchant do something similar at the beginning too and that that video merely showed the end bit where they were finalising the scripts.

I'd like to explore the way writing partners operate more fully (another thread?). Is it rare for both partners to be equals?

I'm not sure where the comedy comes from, but I know both have the power of infinite veto. If they don't like the other's suggestion, they veto it. Nothing more is said. Good dynamic in my opinion.

Quote: alienep @ November 25 2011, 4:48 PM GMT

Oops, just trying to figure out the quote method. As per the quote above, Tony, that is exactly what I was saying? It seems like you haven't understood this.

Oh I see, that's how it works...

Great, carry on everyone x

Sorry, I saw the stick and with two hands I grasped the wrong end of it as quickly and as tightly as I could.

I've watched all three episodes, and have to say I really, really don't like it. It annoys me watching it, but I love the previous work of G&M so feel that I have to tune in to watch. But it's so forced and easily perceived. The whole, awkward, dealing with taboos and political correctness in British comedy ran its course years ago. Scenes like when the woman asking for an autograph just states, out of nowhere, 'My son's got a tumor', arghhhhh. They infuriate me. It's so, ridiculously forced, and annoying. I just sit there and think - urgh here's another 3 minutes I've got to watch of Warwick disagreeing with the woman whose son's got a tumor and it's meant to be awkward....oh, they're having an argument now....didn't see that coming. Again, in the last episode, the boy he shows up in school ends up being disabled. Wow. Just wow. How predictably boring can G&M get with the whole 'pushing the boundaries' thing. The thing is pushing the boundaries isn't the same as it was 10 years ago, when the whole 'politcal correctness has gone mad' thing was fresh and relevant. Now it's just tired and clichéd. Another thing is Gervais and Smerch were never at their best IMO when 'pushing the boundaries', they were always much better when exploring the relationship between stature and morality. Which are the cornerstones of both The Office and Extras and even Cemetery Junction. I see none of that here, I just don't get Warwick yet. He comes across as deluded and egotistical one minute, and the next largely likeable and very much down to Earth. The celebrities and Gervais and Merchant's strange appearances in the show nock it down another couple of notches as well. Why, just why? What annoys me more than anything is there are so many obviously poor things about this sitcom. So many things that many of us on this website have said over and over again 'Why is he acting like Brent?' 'Why are Gervias and Merchant just sat behind a desk, what's the need for them?' 'This is just a cross between Extras and The Office'

If these things, which annoy a lot of us, are so easily picked up by us fans of comedy, how did those working in the industry not say anything. Is Gervais so powerful and egotisical that none of his ideas are challenged?

Quote: Hyde150 @ November 25 2011, 8:30 PM GMT

If these things, which annoy a lot of us, are so easily picked up by us fans of comedy, how did those working in the industry not say anything. Is Gervais so powerful and egotisical that none of his ideas are challenged?

Having talked to a few people in-the-know since episode one, I feel quite confident in saying yes.

That's just depressing over the waters he's a b list actor and over here we cowtow like he's the second coming.

Like an escapade slave returning to Africa with a pair of underpants and being made God emperor.

It follows that success brings more control and say in what you want to make.

I don't want to state too much or I'll risk giving some idea beyond what I've been told; of course those who have past successes should have greater freedom, that's understandable and to be expected, but that doesn't mean one should be permitted to forego any and all outside influences and quality control - which is essentially the freedom G&M were given, it seems.

3 eps in and I'm still saying "oh dear"

Kind of agree with the - Warwick is playing a version of David Brent.

Here's a couple of blog entries from a dwarf, or little person, about Life's Too Short, one might argue it makes a mockery of that other blog from a "normie".

http://www.hellolittlelady.com/comedy/the-making-of-lifes-too-short-review

http://www.hellolittlelady.com/media/tv-review-life%e2%80%99s-too-short-%e2%80%93-episode-2

Oh look, more positive feedback from dwarves.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/news/a335324/seven-dwarves-stars-approve-ricky-gervaiss-lifes-too-short-video.html

A 'short' reply it is ok, not sure if I feel really good though?