Life's Too Short Page 13

It doesn't work for me, this, a lot more going on this week, I know, and some will lap it up, but it's just too unsubtle for me, very predictable. It's just a constant stream of very sixth form un PC humour. It's like stealing sweets from a baby, there's little skill involved in writing such a basic sitcom with so much material available. How long before he gets stuck in a garden dressed as a gnome, etc. etc? Peurile.

It's weird, like last week the celeb/Ricky bit was sublime, and I even quite like Depp tormenting Davis.

But the rest is not only painfully unfunny, it's in poor taste and just clumsy beyond belief.

Yes, I thought it was quite an improvement this week. That is to say, it was certainly much funnier. Some very good visual gags, a scattering of great one-liners, and some really nice interactions with the PA. But, yes, also some tiresome predictability, and it was still just as much a continuation of The Office and Extras as episode one.

Are they trying to recreate scenes from The Office every week? Last week the similaritie to the management seminar, this week the first ep of series two, Brents woeful 'jokes', this time from Davies's mouth.
And what was all that Depp shit? Lord of the Dance. Ooh look, little man dancing, how hilarious. Hmmm.

Quote: alienep @ November 17 2011, 10:37 PM GMT

And what was all that Depp shit? Lord of the Dance. Ooh look, little man dancing, how hilarious. Hmmm.

That was bloody funny.

Management seminar? Is that referring to the Training Day episode with the roleplaying that the Neeson scene was similar to or the motivational speaker episode?

Quote: alienep @ November 17 2011, 10:37 PM GMT

And what was all that Depp shit? Lord of the Dance. Ooh look, little man dancing, how hilarious.

I laughed, but squarely at Depp's frantic actions and manic attempt to play the ... whatever that instrument was.

I thought it was enjoyable, it certainly flew by surprisingly quickly to me, the lack of plot is puzzling though. The PA seems like a very typical G&M character I thought, in terms of her dialogue.

Without the wife appearing at all, the only plot point was raising money to pay his tax bill, and having a bad day at 'the office'. It makes me wonder if it's intentional in order to further ape reality TV, though I think even they have more of story, albeit usually a contrived one.

Also, it's a shame the Pyrenese Mountain Dog (I think that's what it was at least) wasn't in it this time, Chewbacca.

I think the problem is that Warwick isn't really a character; you don't care about him, he's just sort of a cypher.

Whilst Milman and Brent were real, nuanced human characters. By caring about them and understanding them, you laughed at them.

Not an actor in a dog cum stained bear suit, comically hopping into chairs.

I'm quite surprised by the positive feedback, I found it quite painful to watch.

I'm a G&M fan, but they're doing themselves no favours here. The dance in The Office was an all-time comedy classic, but with the mini-Brent it just seemed cruel.

Last week's episode was saved by the brilliant Neeson cameo, but this week there was no redeeming features at all for me. Very disappointing.

Yeah, he is a bit bland compared to what I'm used to with Warwick Davies or G&M.

Quote: Gerry McDonnell @ November 17 2011, 11:07 PM GMT

I'm quite surprised by the positive feedback, I found it quite painful to watch.

I'm a G&M fan, but they're doing themselves no favours here. The dance in The Office was an all-time comedy classic, but with the mini-Brent it just seemed cruel.

Last week's episode was saved by the brilliant Neeson cameo, but this week there was no redeeming features at all for me. Very disappointing.

I thought the dance was funny! Him in the toilet seemed a bit demeaning, but it was meant to be at Depp's expense of course. I thought Depp seemed pretty odd, much as you'd expect.

I thought it was weak. The wedding speech scene didn't ring true, and the whole show is very bitty. I bet G&M didn't spend half or a quarter the time on these scripts that they spent on The Office and Extras. Not sure I'll tune in again. I'm also finding the product placement for Cemetery Junction quite irritating. Aren't there rules against this sort of thing?

No - plus the creators of the film are in the same room as the poster so that guarantees authorisation.

Quote: bluer than blue @ November 17 2011, 11:12 PM GMT

The show is shit, it's not funny, a very serious case of 'The Emperor's New Clothes'

I think that that was The Office - everyone's seen through the clothes on this one!