10 O'Clock Live - Series 1 Page 18

Quote: Ben @ February 5 2011, 5:15 PM GMT

I haven't heard a single mention of this show outside this website. Not sure what that says about the people I knock about with.

That it's on after their bed-time?

Quote: Mark @ January 29 2011, 8:05 PM GMT

I think it's worth returning to these comments everyone has made in a few episodes time and see if they still stand up. This is essentially an on-going pilot and it's going to take them a few weeks to get the right balance I think (as has been pointed out repeatedly, it took The Daily Show ages to find its feet and become a hit).

They're clearly already tweaking it here and there (that American anchorman style segment is already gone for example, replaced with the Serco bit which didn't quite work... but was a good angle to try)

They still haven't got it quite right, "we'll have to wrap it up there" was said with frustrating regularity for example; and there's not enough time for them to banter round the table at the end (quite a strong part of the show I thought)... but I know Channel 4 are reading all the tweets, and blogs and things so will be slowly heading it in the right direction.

Considering it's a live hour of telly, I think it's going pretty well so far already actually.

Agreed on all points

I didn't even finish watching the first episode because it didn't grab me at all. The second one was better and I rather enjoyed the third one. The balance between seriousness and gags is quite good, though. The multiple people debates/discussions slip into a weird space where they're like a mini-Question Time and don't feel like they really fit, but otherwise the interviews have been quite good.

Longer, fewer sections would probably do the format a lot of good. At times, especially when they're all together around the table, I feel like it only gets good just seconds before they have to cut away.

Still, funny show with funny people in it. Hopefully we'll see it improving.

Oh and my favourite bit so far was Laverne being sexist towards the blokes.

Disappointed by Brooker merrily going along with the media line about Cameron calling multiculturalism a failure, despite him never actually saying that.

Just a shame there is no programme to break down the way the news misreports and misquotes to sensationalise stories and push the agenda of publishers and broadcasters.

Still, he got to read out tweets made by idiots. Sophisticated stuff.

It's still too long, and the targets are predictable, but I enjoyed it. I even liked the round table discussion, if only because the black Tory bloke was a complete idiot.

Can't get into this show. Tried, failed.

Player ratings:

Brooker 8: Man of the match performance, loved the Richard Hammond bit.

Mitchell 7: Solid and dependable. The Thatcher gag was the highlight of the show.

Carr 3: At the end of the day, he'll be disappointed with that.

Laverne 6: Nice tits.

Laughing out loud

Quote: chipolata @ February 10 2011, 11:09 PM GMT

liked the round table discussion, if only because the black Tory bloke was a complete idiot.

I think he was on as an oddity. I always assume anyone black, and involved with persecuted minorities is going to be more left than right. They all seemed to be talking at cross purposes though.

I think the show is progressing. It seems a little more relaxed.

Enjoyed Mitchell's cuts rant.

Still not sure what Laverne is supposed to bring to the show.

Quote: Timbo @ February 11 2011, 10:23 AM GMT

Still not sure what Laverne is supposed to bring to the show.

I find myself admiring her balls. She's up there with three big comedy beasts, and that must be intimidating for a non-comic.

I enjoy this- they've already made a lot of improvements, but they still have far to go.

Carr was well off his game tonight.

I think they have too many segments and don't focus enough on the topics. Problem is that in the short time they allocate to one issue, they've only had chance to give me some headlines on it that I already know.

I liked what Carr was wearing.

I don't remember what he was wearing. I did love Lauren's peachy dress with the swallows on though.

Quote: Gerry McDonnell @ February 11 2011, 12:31 AM GMT

Mitchell 7: Solid and dependable. The Thatcher gag was the highlight of the show.

A Thatcher gag? Ooh, how topical and cutting-edge!